Slough Feg winter tour dates outline.

from what I remember the problems with the Brooklyn show was:
- too long a lag time before they went on
- shitty openers
- not enough drinking
- way too small a crowd for a pretty big place
- band looked like they rather sleep
- too long a set

I would agree with all of that. The first 4 items are out of the bands hands so we can't blame them.

The band looked like they would rather sleep is possibly true. Maybe because the crowd reaction sucked? They were sick? We'll never know.

I definitely agree with the last point. Slough Feg are a 30 minute band. That was definitely a contributing factor to HC2 -- they played the perfect amount of time.

Put it this way, I am going to rokkk out with my cokkk out come 11/21. And yes, I will drink copious amounts of beer in time for "Sky Chariots". :kickass:

Yes, but again, no fault of Slough Feg there. (though ironically, it's the main reason why my memories of the show are so vivid, which begs the question "how many shows that I get off on are actually horrible, I just remember them as otherwise due to the festive nature of drinking with friends?")

i don't know about you guys, but i need booze ... a lot of it ... when going to live shows.

I saw Maiden a few years ago at Jones Beach and had no idea that the venue does not serve alcohol ... worst fucking show by Maiden :loco:

I mean seriously ... booze makes even shitty bands sound awesome live

Yes, but again, no fault of Slough Feg there. (though ironically, it's the main reason why my memories of the show are so vivid, which begs the question "how many shows that I get off on are actually horrible, I just remember them as otherwise due to the festive nature of drinking with friends?")

LOL! So true.

If we're all completely honest with ourselves, a band performance is made even better in the right setting, good company, the drink buzz is on, people clapping, singing, headbanging....all in all, a good night out. The fact that the band missed a few beats and forgot some lyrics becomes irrelevant (and you probably wouldn't even notice anyway).

Going to see a band to garner evidence on whether they perform satisfactorily against an audit-like checklist is sterile and gay to say the least. To this day, I'm still shocked at just how laid back the crowds in the US are, arms folded and monitoring to see if the guitarist hits all the notes in a 32-note lead run. (The fact that people complain about there not being enough seats at ProgPower is pretty shocking.)

People have forgotten how to do heavy metal.

To write off a band entirely due to ONE POOR PERFORMANCE* is just dumb.
Really? I would say paying good money to see a band perform live, who sucked the suck out of suck the last time you paid to see them, is the dumber move. People who who continue to pay to see bands who were previously sucky suffer from I.E.S. (Into Eternity Syndrome).

Zod

Really? I would say paying good money to see a band perform live, who sucked the suck out of suck the last time you paid to see them, is the dumber move. People who who continue to pay to see bands who were previously sucky suffer from I.E.S. (Into Eternity Syndrome).

Zod

I have to think you're joking? Add a few emoticons or something. :lol: So if the first performance you saw of Nevermore was an off-night for the band, you would have written them off completely? I can't even begin to see what you're saying here.

EDIT: also, the last time we saw Slough Feg, in this example, they ruled. So I figure "best out of 3" 'aint a bad option. :loco:

i think liking a band a "bit" before seeing them live will also help not to totally write them off ... or forgive them for a shitty night :loco:

I say a short, killer punchy set from SF would save me this time around ... and being hammered

well yeah, if you walk into a venue knowing you're going to try your hardest to dislike a band, the chances are, you're going to dislike them.

i gotta say that I was not a huge HOM fan until I saw them live (especially that luscious ivory key tapper of a woman :loco: ) ... so bands do have to work hard to win over new fans every night ... that's why I think SF deserves another shot ... i can't really imagine how their type of metal cannot wrok well live ... i attribute it to an off night.

now someone not getting into the vibe of D666 live ... that's trivial :loco:

There's definitely a case of give and take. The crowd HAS to be animated and into the show, likewise the band HAS to get into their performance.

Rule of Heavy Metal #17: Band feeds off the crowd, crowd feeds off the band.

The question is, which comes first, the chicken or the egg? :loco:

The fucking egg comes first, always.

Band starts with a great show, then crowd returns the favour, then the band gets better!

I have to think you're joking? Add a few emoticons or something. :lol:
No... I was being serious. If a band sucks the first time I see them, and they're not one of my favorites, why would I pay to see them again?

When I saw the Brooklyn show. I was on the fence with Slough Feg's music. I thought a live performance might turn me into a fan. It did just the opposite.

So if the first performance you saw of Nevermore was an off-night for the band, you would have written them off completely? I can't even begin to see what you're saying here.
Did you just compare Nevermore and Slough Feg? That's like comparing Selma Hayek to Roseanne Barr.

Honestly, I'm not sure which emoticon to add. I mean, I'm not trying to be a dick, but I am being serious. Slough Feg was the worst band (or at least Top 3, or Bottom 3, as the case may be) I've ever seen. Why would I look to pay to see them again?

Zod

Rule of Heavy Metal #17: Band feeds off the crowd, crowd feeds off the band.

The question is, which comes first, the chicken or the egg?
swizzlenuts is dead on. The egg/band comes first... always.

By the way, if you believe in the crowd first theory, than you should fully expect Slough Feg's next performance to be like their Brooklyn performance, and not their HCII performance. The night before Thanksgiving? There's going to be 30 people, tops. There will be no more energy in that venue than there was for the Brooklyn show, possibly less. I say less, because I can't believe anyone who saw the Brooklyn show would pay to see them again.:loco:

Zod

The night before Thanksgiving? There's going to be 30 people, tops.

uhmmm ... a night out in the city on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving is like going out on New Year's ... everything is packed.

BTW, speaking of Into Eternity; JK, did you know that your 4 year old threads are *still* stickied on their forum? :tickled:

now there is a band that blew chunks ... opening for Edguy too ... how can you suck opening for Edguy ...

as tight as they sound on disc ... just an inconsistent mess live.