Slough Feg winter tour dates outline.

I'm really hoping Slough Feg make it over to England sometime in the near future!

Small venues don't really bother me too much - I saw Cloven Hoof a few weeks back on a stage which could barely hold five people, and this Friday Destruction are playing in what appears to be little more than a pub!

I must say, I have absolutely no idea what they are normally like live because they were horrible in Brooklyn but awesome at HCII. Truly night and day - and I was expecting all "night" after Brooklyn (I almost didn't even stay to watch the HCII show and am so glad JayKeeley talked me into giving them a second chance).

Jason

They killed at HC2, and then were even better when I saw them at the end of their last tour in June.

I'm not even sure if I have a chance of going to the SLC show next week... so fucking busy at work, 21+ venue, and possibly no way to SLC that night. :(

To write off a band entirely due to ONE POOR PERFORMANCE* is just dumb. I'm not even sure if this needs elaborating.

Now, not wanting to see them because you don't like them in general, then yeah, fair enough. Not everybody has to like the same bands. :loco:

* wasn't nearly as bad as people make out. Just going on and on about it has naturally exaggerated the evening. :tickled:

In fact, it's entirely possible that the musical performance between NY and HC2 was identical, and that it was just the crowd setting and the amount of alcohol that made the two occasions seemingly differ. (I certainly don't remember Slough Feg missing a note in NYC, they just seemed to be lethargic. Maybe Scalzi had a cold? Who knows)

(I certainly don't remember Slough Feg missing a note in NYC, they just seemed to be lethargic. Maybe Scalzi had a cold? Who knows)

No energy, no passion - the type of music they play warrants those things for a truly effective live show. It just seemed like they didn't care - maybe they had a long day of travel, maybe sick - again, who knows, but they were indeed off that night. Ordinarily I wouldn't entirely dismiss a band live I've dug on some level in the studio, but I was close to doing just that with these guys.

Along came HCII and through your prodding, I now know what they're capable of live - big time traditional heavy metal fun. If there was one band I was in the mood to air guitar to the whole set, it was them.

I've seen 'em twice, once in '05, and then six months later at HCII, and they were pretty great both times. I probably had a smidge more fun at HCII, but that was likely just the environment.

But yeah, you really can't put too much stock in opinions that come out of concerts when you go with a group of friends, because shortly after the event, everyone quickly converges on a consensus. And when alcohol is involved, you can end up remembering that consensus opinion a lot more than the show itself!

Neil

Either way, I just think judging a band and their *general live performance value* on one show is nonsensical. I don't even know how to begin to rationalize this! It works both ways too -- how do we know HC2 wasn't a complete fluke?

so look ... I hope for the best for this show, and hopefully a small venue with a good turnout and celebratory holiday drinkign will bring the best out of everyone ... but regardless ... how can we go wrong with a night out in the city right before Thanksgiving ???

Hence, my initial post on the matter. :)

I'm leaning towards thinking they're usually great live, based on all these other people having only seen them play well on different occasions, and that our memory of NYC has probably been somewhat exaggerated.

Also, based on the new album, their current material is SMOKING. :worship: Easily a top 10 album for me.

I'm leaning towards thinking they're usually great live, based on all these other people having only seen them play well on different occasions

Oh yeah, definitely - based on all the feedback their live shows have been getting since that NYC show, and based on HCII, count me as a firm believer.

JK said:
and that our memory of NYC has probably been somewhat exaggerated.

Gotta disagree - I remember it pretty vividly. It was bad - but hey, seemingly an exception to the rule, so no harm no foul. Well, except for that stubbon Zod. :loco:

JK said:
Also, based on the new album, their current material is SMOKING. :worship: Easily a top 10 album for me.

Been spinning it a lot as well and I have to agree - very enjoyable. Possible top 10 for me as well.

from what I remember the problems with the Brooklyn show was:
- too long a lag time before they went on
- shitty openers
- not enough drinking
- way too small a crowd for a pretty big place
- band looked like they rather sleep
- too long a set

from what I remember the problems with the Brooklyn show was:
- too long a lag time before they went on

Yes

lurch said:
- shitty openers

Nah, I'd rarely hold this against a headliner. (They were indeed shitty by the way)

lurch said:
- not enough drinking

Yes, but again, no fault of Slough Feg there. (though ironically, it's the main reason why my memories of the show are so vivid, which begs the question "how many shows that I get off on are actually horrible, I just remember them as otherwise due to the festive nature of drinking with friends?")

lurch said:
- way too small a crowd for a pretty big place

I love a great crowd atmosphere, but the show had basically zero promotion - I felt bad for Slough Feg here.

lurch said:
- band looked like they rather sleep

Yep - that was my main problem with the set, total lack of interest or inspiration.

lurch said:
- too long a set

I don't think it would've mattered if it were shorter, but yeah, more of a bad thing <<<< less of a bad thing.