Testament: The beginnings

tenebro

Dr. tenebro
Apr 8, 2002
Chile
www.vtr.net
Hi. I've always been doubtfull about Testament beginnings. I've read some sources that says that Derrick Ramirez was the bassist of legacy and other sources says that he was guitarist.

I always wanted to know the official side of how the group was formed, some information is present in the Seen between the lines interview, but there is a lot of details missing. Who and replace who? when?

Maybe you guys knows all the story, I know it just from The Legacy LP and forward, but what happened before? cloudy issue to me...

I will really apreciate any information about this. Thanks a lot.

'Originally formed as 'Legacy' in 1983 by founding members Eric Peterson (rhythm guitar), Derrick Ramirez (guitar) and Louie Clemente (drums), the line-up included vocalist Steve Souza and Greg Christian (bass). Ramirez was later replaced by wunderkind Alex Skolnick (lead guitar). Souza soon departed to join Exodus and suggested that the towering Chuck Billy take over as front man. The band became known as 'Testament' 3 years later, while recording their debut album in Ithaca, New York.'

Here's the part of Derrick taking up Bass for Testament:

'"Demonic", which was recorded in Testament's Driftwood Studios, was released in 1997. James Murphy and Greg Christian having left the band were replaced by alumni Glen Alvelais and Derrick Ramirez (bass). Gene Hoglan (drums, ex- Death, Dark Angel) lent his percussion talents. "Signs Of Chaos", a 'best of' disc of the band, was released in 1997.'

Hope that clears up some stuff.