Testing My Lee Jackson preamp

I'm sure you can combine a gainboost with an EMG, since Alexi was using EMG HZ's for a few years with his boosts installed. I'm sure you could even combine a gainboost with an active EMG humbucker like the 83/81 but as I said, it'd sound shit and probably be very uncontrollable. That's why you need one for the Jackson they were using because as you said, they're low output and need a push.

Roope has said he uses EQ with the J50-BC AND the gainboost.

I know, the HZ's are passive. The EMG 81/85 are both active and require batterypower.

Its like tuning a expensive Ferarri or Lamborghini. Its useless and stupid.

the mic was about 4 inches away from the speaker cone, at a tiny bit of an angle, i think people call this off axis idk

and even with active pickups the lee jackson is still pretty low gain so i used an EQ pedal in front of it, not to equalize my guitar sound much but it has a master level boost which i raised a bit just to give my guitar signal some clean gain boost. i messed around boosting the bass frequencies a bit with it infront of the amp didnt help much,

The pre-amp IS pretty thin sounding in comparison to alot of other high gain amps out there, i mean like its not very bassy at all, and i mean you listen to COB's music their guitars arent really bassy anyways, im thinking of trying the EQ pedal after the preamp before the power amp that should help alot, and il use somthing else infront of the preamp to boost it, i have a 15 dollar Behringer "Pre-Amp Booster" pedal lol it actually doesnt sound bad,does what its supposed to do

If people are really interested i can record samples of different settings on the Lee Jackson (the midshift switch really makes it sound different) and post clips of it unboosted, and then boosted with a few different methods, that wouldnt be a problem at all

Try these settings:
Volume: full
Distortion: Full and pulled.
Treble: full
Mid's: Full
Mid's shift: 3
Bass: 9 o'clock

Btw: Use output 2 (more bass) and set the output at 11 o clock

Try these settings:
Volume: full
Distortion: Full and pulled.
Treble: full
Mid's: Full
Mid's shift: 3
Bass: 9 o'clock

Btw: Use output 2 (more bass) and set the output at 11 o clock

those are the settings in the Alexi Rack pics right?
are you fucking serious about output two sounding different? i havent even used it yet, i thought it was exactly the same

If you check the Lee Jackson page and download the Manual for the GP-1000 you'll see that it states output 2 has more bass to it

haha I feel like a fucking dumbass for never finding the GP-1000 manual on his page.

well now we know why my recordings sounded thin, damn i wish i figured this out before i recoreded the whole song haha

Update: I tried using the 2nd output and it didnt really make a ton of a difference as far as bass response went, maybe a really small bit but not really noticable, i think the biggest tone factor on the pre-amp is definatly the Mid Shift selector, that changes it up alot

Well, it can take a long time to get really familiar with equipment, know how to get that tone you want out of it, and know how to use it properly. Keep experimenting with it, and different gadgets with it, like that EQ, and you'll eventually find the tone you want

If you used a gain boost with active pickups, you'd get way too much feedback and hum. Hence the reason why Alexi uses passive pickups.
The new Seymour Duncans Blackouts in Alexi's guitars are active pickups, so this may not be true. Unless he doesn't use a gain boost anymore.

Guys.. that sound.. it's horrible. I wonder how it is possible to make such bad sound with these devices. And your playing skills.. you should improve them or something. You play VERY dirty. I suggest you practise a bit more.

The new Seymour Duncans Blackouts in Alexi's guitars are active pickups, so this may not be true. Unless he doesn't use a gain boost anymore.

You can turn the gainboost off. I'm not saying he did, but that is the reason Alexi uses a passive pickup instead of active.

^^someone got close pic of alexis guitar at tuska and it didnt have a Gainboost.

I don't think it was installed at that point. That might have been what that pedal was for that you can see him step on. Who knows.

The gainboost was not installed.
Infact, it is a whole new guitar. Alexi's old Sawtooth was giving him a lot of problems. This guitar's only differences are the headstock's signature of Alexi and the new Humbucker.

New Guitar:
Notice the signature + empty hole:
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb302/sirre87/Children of Bodom/Tuska Open Air 2007/P1040376.jpg
http://kuvat.huumakuva.net/albums/userpics/10012/IMG_4327.jpg

Lowberg said:
Update: I tried using the 2nd output and it didnt really make a ton of a difference as far as bass response went, maybe a really small bit but not really noticable, i think the biggest tone factor on the pre-amp is definatly the Mid Shift selector, that changes it up alot
Which mid shift did you had when you recorded?

<-Warheart-> said:
I don't think it was installed at that point. That might have been what that pedal was for that you can see him step on. Who knows.
Could be the footswitch to control the volume of the distortion on his GP1000.

Guys.. that sound.. it's horrible. I wonder how it is possible to make such bad sound with these devices. And your playing skills.. you should improve them or something. You play VERY dirty. I suggest you practise a bit more.
Can you do better? I suggest you should record something and prove yourself.

yo yo yo, sorry guys ive been mad busy with work, i have a few days off this week, im gonna record some more lee jacksonness maybe, probably not bodom though, more likely my own stuff. ive been busy with my band practicing for our show with into eternity in like a week and a half! gah weve been going nuts trying to seell our pre-sale tickets

hey, haven't been here for a while...well if someone's interested I have Lee Jackson GP-1000 Perfect Connection for sale. It's located here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280151586866&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D280151586866%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

To find it on eBay just search for this number 280151586866 :)

All I can add to the opinions about this preamp is that when it's set it works great. Gain booster is needed, but this preamp works great set in effect loop on your amp. Definitely in such case it's very easy to achieve a sound from "Tokyo Warhearts". Connecting this preamp to poweramp in the easiest way gives you a strong feeling of "Hate Crew Deathroll", but when you use an enhancer/compressor in addition, you'll easily get "Are You Dead Yet" sound. Everything depends on your equipment. The final tip is to use simple EQ between preamp and power amp. This way you can shape your sound without too much cost :)

I hope that helps a bit. Take care!

hey, haven't been here for a while...well if someone's interested I have Lee Jackson GP-1000 Perfect Connection for sale. It's located here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280151586866&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D280151586866%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

To find it on eBay just search for this number 280151586866 :)

All I can add to the opinions about this preamp is that when it's set it works great. Gain booster is needed, but this preamp works great set in effect loop on your amp. Definitely in such case it's very easy to achieve a sound from "Tokyo Warhearts". Connecting this preamp to poweramp in the easiest way gives you a strong feeling of "Hate Crew Deathroll", but when you use an enhancer/compressor in addition, you'll easily get "Are You Dead Yet" sound. Everything depends on your equipment. The final tip is to use simple EQ between preamp and power amp. This way you can shape your sound without too much cost :)

I hope that helps a bit. Take care!
Why are you selling it?