Testing My Lee Jackson preamp

Lowberg

Aug 26, 2004
Rochester, NY
To mess around recording my new Lee Jackson GP-1000 pre-amp and to get more familiar with my new recording software, im in the process of recording a cover of the song Children of Bodom. Ive been recording all morning and only have the solos and vocals left to record that il probably do tomorow, but I wanted to post a tiny sample of my recording so far, to get any opinions or suggestions on the tone and mix of everything. Im used to using guitar modeling software and not actually micing up my amplifier so im still messing with mic placement and all that crap.

http://media.putfile.com/COB-Cover-sample

once i finish recording everything il probably post the whole thing

I'm liking the cover!, but the guitar sounds a bit thin and dry when playing rythm parts.

Yea im using it through my mesaboogies poweramp with el-34 tubes, into a mesa 2x12 cab, I mean im no expert on mixing and mastering, im sure theres a ton of post production tricks used to fatten guitars up,

Try double tracking the rhythm guitars to fatten them up. That should help a bit.

awesome :D
how and where did you buy your GP-1000??

i m getting one soon :D

what guitar do you use? and what humbucker does it have?
it sounds oke to me :D but the tuning is it in standard E?

and Epyon ?
haha how did you got that name??
a friend of mine use this name alwase he named one of his World of Warcraft characters Epyon and one of his Final Fantasy XI Online character :p LOL !!!

well i got lucky because i was on google Searching everyday on the terms

Perfect Connection GP-1000 and luckely i found a guy who sells one and i m very lucky because i m getting an GP-1000 Wich Alexi Playd on During a Duel with a guy from finland i think who is selling the GP-1000 to me :D

I just finished all the vocals and stuff, probably do the solos tomorow,

To FastBodom:

I got my Lee Jackson GP-1000 on ebay, i literally checked ebay everyday for like 2 months to find one and suprisingly when i found one it went for really cheap. Im using a USA Jackson SL2-H with emg 81 in the bridge, an Equalizer pedal as a little bit of a gain boost, then from the lee jackson into my mesaboogies poweramp section, to the cab, miced up with a Shure SM57 (stil messin around with that) and the mic gets hooked up to my Line6 Toneport through the XLR input, and im using Cubase SXE2 for recording, Reason for Synths, and EZdrummer Drumkit From Hell for drums

i think if i got in there and EQ'd the guitar tracks in cubase it would help alot but im not familiar with the paragraphic type equalizers cubase has yet. All the guitar are straight Lee Jackson tone for now.

True, the gp1000 will sound 1000x times better when used with a gainbooster.
But does a active EMG needs a gainbooster ?

If you used a gain boost with active pickups, you'd get way too much feedback and hum. Hence the reason why Alexi uses passive pickups.

yea warheart is right ! the to much feedback will suck your sound
but the ultimate sound will be the J-50BC passive Pickup and JE-1000 Gainbooster through an GP-1000 :D i know warheart can't wait to give his J-50BC an soulmate :p

I'm sure you can combine a gainboost with an EMG, since Alexi was using EMG HZ's for a few years with his boosts installed. I'm sure you could even combine a gainboost with an active EMG humbucker like the 83/81 but as I said, it'd sound shit and probably be very uncontrollable. That's why you need one for the Jackson they were using because as you said, they're low output and need a push.

Roope has said he uses EQ with the J50-BC AND the gainboost.