Testing My Lee Jackson preamp

I'm not satisfied with this preamp. I believe there are some other, better preamps. And of course it's a matter of taste. I've found inside this unit COB's sound, but it needs a lot of other equipment to achieve that. I mean you'll need at least EMG PA-2 gain booster and enhancer/limiter or simple EQ connected right over the preamp. And as far as I don't like having too much stuff all around I prefer some other, simpler ways.

I see. I'm actually interested in getting this preamp to replicate the Tokyo Warhearts-esque sound, although i wont be using it as is, i'll use it as a base for my own sound. The Crate GT3500H amp i have now, is way too weak and thin, or too fat (depending on what settings i try) for my liking. Sadly i dont think i have the money to buy the piece you sell + shipping and the horrible Tax that the norwegian government will leech off me (25%), although the offer is very nice, and its tempting me a lot. Seemingly i have to wait. And yes, all those other things will need money aswell, but for me its better to get it piece by piece, and eventually get that very sound i so lust for.

I see. I'm actually interested in getting this preamp to replicate the Tokyo Warhearts-esque sound, although i wont be using it as is, i'll use it as a base for my own sound. The Crate GT3500H amp i have now, is way too weak and thin, or too fat (depending on what settings i try) for my liking. Sadly i dont think i have the money to buy the piece you sell + shipping and the horrible Tax that the norwegian government will leech off me (25%), although the offer is very nice, and its tempting me a lot. Seemingly i have to wait. And yes, all those other things will need money aswell, but for me its better to get it piece by piece, and eventually get that very sound i so lust for.

Yes taxes can rape you really badly...:erk: I know that. If i woud have ordered a Edwards from ebay i woud have had to pay 200€ in customs and taxes and shit!
I dont know bout you but thats a pretty raping tax rate :lol:

one more thing...I've contacted with Mr Lee Jackson and asked him about any upgrades he can share with me (of course about GP-1000). And he told me to try changing resistors to 2.7k resistor and .68 uf capactor, Those are the first three on the Left Top Corner of the circuit board when you open the case. I spoke to my friend who runs a tube amp service and he said it could be a very good idea, but I've never tried that. And won't because I sold it today.

to Muffin:
Don't forget about Rocktron Intellifex Effect unit to get th Tokyo Warhearts solo's sound. The preset is called 2 /somethig/ 4 . It's the same effect Alexi's used there. Oh and btw...Does the norwegian tax stick to the used items too? I just can't belive that, 'cause if it does it that totaly sucks!

everything besides books and machine parts are taxed afaik, oh and gifts, so unless its shipped marked as a gift it will get a 25% "bonus" >_>
Rocktron Intellifex Effect unit eyh? I'll look into it, and thanks!

yeah, but you have to look for a first edition. It's also called "blackface". It's dark with a purple line. At the back there is a input for footswitch. Newer versions don't have it. However, Rocktron is not producing that line. They used to making some newer Intelifex units (like "On-line" for example), but the truth is that the very first one was that one and only.

It'as weird that, the first edition for gear is more or less the best version, and its ALLWAYS discontinued, and then made a newer "Better" version, which sucks gigantic balls

yeah, that's true. Only exception is Mesa, which has been really improving their products and the newer versions are always better then previous ones. The same thing is with guitars...some of 80s Jackson's and Charvel's are way better then the present ones. 90s Ibanezes are better then present ones. Where does it go?

yeah, that's true. Only exception is Mesa, which has been really improving their products and the newer versions are always better then previous ones. The same thing is with guitars...some of 80s Jackson's and Charvel's are way better then the present ones. 90s Ibanezes are better then present ones. Where does it go?
Reason: China and Korea.
They gotta compete with cheaper models, thats the reason why.

Reason: China and Korea.
They gotta compete with cheaper models, thats the reason why.

No, you didn't understand the question. That's not the reason that a 2000$ Jackson from 2007 is not as good as a 1500$ Jackson from 1987. The reason is that all the good woods have been used up and it's getting hard to find now. Also, the guitars are not made with such close inspection and tolerance anymore. A lot of the stuff is machine-made novadays. Most of the time they get poor quality inspection and they ship off to the dealer as soon as possible so the companies get their money as soon as possible.

China and Korea...they always were shit and always will be. And just because a Korean Ibanez is shit, it doesn't mean that all Ibanezes are shit. You always have to compare top of the line models. And the truth is that top of the line models of the past were better than the same models novadays. Sad but true.

I'm not sure it's a lack of quality wood. My uncle is a carpenter, and he never has trouble finding beautiful wood, much of which would be suitable for guitar building. Of course, big builders want to buy in bulk, so it probably would be hard to get a huge palette of great tonewood. But alder and maple are cheap and easy to find (and those are the ones I care about). :)

and 20 years from now people will be saying the same thing about 00's guitars.

its partly perception as well. i mean you can still find quality guitars around. jackson went dud yeah, i mean they sold to fender, which along with gibson, are focusing on their lower end assembly line models and such. some makers "sell out," some makers go south, what have you. its just the business cycle.

but look at guitar makers like PRS, ESP, etc. you're going to tell me they suck too?

No, you didn't understand the question. That's not the reason that a 2000$ Jackson from 2007 is not as good as a 1500$ Jackson from 1987. The reason is that all the good woods have been used up and it's getting hard to find now.
There is wood enough, it hasnt got anything to do with Wood.
Also, the guitars are not made with such close inspection and tolerance anymore. A lot of the stuff is machine-made novadays. Most of the time they get poor quality inspection and they ship off to the dealer as soon as possible so the companies get their money as soon as possible.
Thats why im saying that the reason China and Korea is. The models in China and Korea are cheaper. It is all massproduction of guitars.

China and Korea...they always were shit and always will be. And just because a Korean Ibanez is shit, it doesn't mean that all Ibanezes are shit. You always have to compare top of the line models.
I didnt say everything from Korea is shit. But USA stuff is far more better compared to korean stuff.
And the truth is that top of the line models of the past were better than the same models novadays. Sad but true.
True, sad but true.

Originally Posted by _Nazgul_
No, you didn't understand the question. That's not the reason that a 2000$ Jackson from 2007 is not as good as a 1500$ Jackson from 1987. The reason is that all the good woods have been used up and it's getting hard to find now.

I hope you are aware that 1500$ probably was more money in 1987 than 2000$ is now?

I know, inflation. 1500$ would be something like 2600$ now (inflation calculator). Still, the guitars are more expensive today. A usual Jackson CS in 87 would be around 1500$ (=2600$ today), the same guitar would cost 3500$ today.

I have to say that I read about the wood argument on one of the forums and I can say that I agree with it. I have two guitars that have the same fretboards (bound ebony and mother of pearl sharkfins). Quality of the one that is 17 years old is much better than from the one that is 2 years old. It is blacker, with less streaks and cracks. It is known that good ebony is hard to find novadays. I have no experience with body woods though, but it could be the same with some woods. Especially with these plantations of super trees which are grown fast just for the industry needs and are less quality. I may be just talking bollocks :lol:.

This is waaaay off-topic btw :D.

You can power USA units in the UK by using a step down converter. I'd imagine you can do the same thing in France too.

Apparantly, a technician may be able to mess around with the plug and make it so that a USA unit would work with a UK plug fitting and the right voltage too but I don't know how.

Tiègo;6689188 said:
Somebody knows if Lee Jackson GP1000 in 11OV can work 220V there, or it is necessary to make modifications?

Indeed like what warhearts says

you can also bring your GP-1000 to an Electrician and he can put a new transformator in it so the unit goes on 220V like mine GP-1000

BTW: your Avatar Picture of a ESP SP and an Jackson Guitar ? do you have a better quallitie of it? a bigger version? so yes
can you upload it for me ? trough http://imageshack.us/ :headbang: