That Friday Feeling!

Cliche Kid

Not a goth kid
Jan 23, 2006
Hi all!!!

I was just thinking....when I listen to kata (In particular songs like Day and The Punishment) it builds a huge sick feeling in my gut. It's something I had never experienced through music before, not even with Opeth, Paradise lost etc.

Now my question is...what bands or songs (if any) have provided you with that same haunting feeling??? I would really like to check them out!

Katatonia and Paradise Lost :p

And Amorphis to if you'vve never listened to the before.
Had kind of the same development as Katatonia and Paradise Lost, going from heavy Doom metal to more "touchy almost crying sad something" metal.
So for the Friday feel I'd recoment the Album Am Universum or Tuonela, where Tuonela is a lot Heavier.
Look for songs The Way, Tuonela, Summers End on tuonela and Shatters Within and Veil of Sin on Am Universum.

Well, right now I'm not feeling blue, but I remember I used to "enjoy" listening to My Dying Bride when feeling down, particularly "The angel and The Dark River" songs like Two Winters...it was not a haunty feeling but a sort of 'deja vu' emotion of having listened to, sort of having lived, it long time before, the first time I listened to those songs I felt I already knew the lyrics by heart, it was strange...

A huge sick feeling in your gut? would that be a good or a bad thing? A band that have always given me a haunting feeling is Decoryah from Finland - Very unqiue 'new age doom metal' band, very melencholy and beautiful.

Friday usually has a good feeling, i think.

Songs that get to me in a ..um.. depressing way: Katatonia - Quiet world, My dying bride - My wine in silence

A huge sick feeling in my gut…

• Portishead - roads
• Radiohead - exit music (for a film), lucky
• Anathema - Lost control (well alternative 4, the complete album)
• Sophia - the infinite circle, fixed water (both complete albums)
• the God Machine - one last laugh in a place of dying (complete album)
• Katatonia - deadhouse, i break, gone, distrust, for my demons, i am nothing, black session
• the Gathering - marooned, frail, saturnine, amity, etc.
• Type o Negative - red water (christmas mourning)
• Crystal Darkness - ascend saturnine nebulae (complete album)

yes why friday feeling? friday i'm in love...though i understand the thread, it's a little odd the choice of friday to talk on such a thing...i hate sundays....
or blue mondays...or happy mondays...but why Friday?? something to do with Robinson Crusoe???

i used to get that feeling from a lot of bands. Teargas was the first song that did that to me. Now it takes a lot for me to be that "into" a song. The new paradise lost album did it though. Porcupine tree aswell.

for me It was: somewhat wierd collection of songs
Pearl Jam: Alive
Katatonia: Teargas
Tool: Hooker with a Penis
Failure:The Nurse who loved me
Opeth:In My Time of Need
NIN:Hurt
Ayreon: Day 11:Love

Cheers for all your input guys...and about the Friday Feeling...I used Friday because it was the first day that came in to my head. The day is irrelevant.

I mean no disrespect or disregard to any other days within the week and I am sure they are all equally as great as each other. To any days that I have offended...I am truly sorry.

I understand what you mean regarding the days of the week. Ha!

The band that really has that effect on me is Alice in Chains. i think their music is so fantastic and melodic and depressing, very much like katatonia in that respect.
I also thought Mad Season's album Above had that feeling with it too, especially the song 'Wake Up' the lyrics are given extra meaning if you are familliar with Layne's struggles.

Sigur Rós is genius too.
Listen to their new album "Takk" and "()" (that is the name).