lost feeling (related to music)

Rosa Negra Imortal

love never dies
Jun 13, 2002
Jardim da Saudade
Visit site
I think I'm getting older...
When I was younger things seem to be like magic for me...for example....my first meet with death metal was with Defecation (Napalm Death side project)...I became crazy with those growls, fast drum beats, crazy riffs and so on...I could not stop listening to them.
Nowadays I think that this feeling is lost in me...For years I never had such kind of feeling again, even when I met bands that were very cool for me like Opeth (I started hating them), The Smiths, Maudlin of the Well, Cocteau Twins...
That situation makes me think that those were the good times.

I don't know if the same happens or happened with you.
You're welcome to comment whatever you want.

The only thing I noticed is that I'm gettin' more and more indoctrinated by "softer" music ( of course still metal enough..) the older I become.. ;) ...see, I'm gettin' old, too :D

I listen to every style of music (and I mean EVERY type). I find that variety keeps things interesting. I was very into the extreme black metal thing a few weeks ago (Emperor, Myrkskog, ect), last week I was into Marshall Crenshaw and the Dixie Chicks, and some opera. This week it's Theory in Practice and old Scorpions. I never get bored, and I am very ofter exited by some things in music, either new or familiar.

Yeah, I find that the younger you are, the more energetic and the more need you have for powerful music... slowly that need kind of fades away and you find yourself drifting off to more melodic stuff. So I guess it's just natural. :)

Originally posted by Moonlapse
Yeah, I find that the younger you are, the more energetic and the more need you have for powerful music... slowly that need kind of fades away and you find yourself drifting off to more melodic stuff. So I guess it's just natural. :)

Agreed!

I think it's mostly a matter of familiarity that makes it seem less exciting. It's pretty much the same as everything-if something stays constant, the brain fais to percieve it. When you first got into the bands, they were different from anything you had heard, as you said quite magical, but eventually it becomes the norm for you, as you check out more bands like it, and suddenly it's not special. Kinda like a drug addiction in a way...Time to move on to being a music junkie who always looks for new interesting music.

Originally posted by Rosa Negra Imortal
I think I'm getting older...
When I was younger things seem to be like magic for me...for example....my first meet with death metal was with Defecation (Napalm Death side project)...I became crazy with those growls, fast drum beats, crazy riffs and so on...I could not stop listening to them.
Nowadays I think that this feeling is lost in me...For years I never had such kind of feeling again, even when I met bands that were very cool for me like Opeth (I started hating them), The Smiths, Maudlin of the Well, Cocteau Twins...
That situation makes me think that those were the good times.

I don't know if the same happens or happened with you.
You're welcome to comment whatever you want.

Keep the way you are now, good times will come back to you. Everyone gets to a point where you are just fed up by violent music but eventually you'll find bands that offer violence with something extra that makes you appreciate it more. Thats exactly what happened to me with brutal bands i used to be crazy over bands like Gorgasm Skinless Dying Fetus and the like, nowdays i only listen to brutal bands that have something else to offer like The Forsaken. Same thing with hardcore bands i was a big fan of crap like Blood for Blood, Hatebreed, Agnostic Front, Sick of it All, and i got just fed up with pointless rhythm with no substance. Then i started to like bands that offer an extra something like AFTeRSHOCK, Killswicth Engage, Living Sacrifice, etc.

This happened to me too and I almost play no death metal anymore. All I still like are Cryptopsy, Nile, and Decapitated. I now have really mellowed out with emotional stuff and I think I'm here to stay. Besides, bands like Anathema reinvent themselves every album and it's hard to loose interest.

Misanthrope - you hereby kick ass. For some very very odd reason that I can in no way fathom, the vast majority of people that hear the newer Living Sacrifice style (in comparison to their - very awesome - death metal roots) do not appreciate it. Finally metalcore worth a crap.

Interesting thread this methinks. Same goes for me aswell, I`m getting softer and softer with the years. "Back in the old days" I listened to all kinds of shit, nowadays I`m more of a pop-head :)
The ones that really gave me something back then sticks with me though

Originally posted by Nightfall Overture
. Same goes for me aswell, I`m getting softer and softer with the years. "Back in the old days" I listened to all kinds of shit, nowadays I`m more of a pop-head :)

Well, that doesn't go for me, I'm concentrating more to extremeties than before... Be it pop or acoustic or grind core... Only thing what I'm tired of is all these mediocre bands, which make great sales but don't have any soul in their music.
So, now when I'm.. err,. not so young anymore there is no use of listening music what others listen. Now I can give more room for my music taste and enjoy all things extreme!!

Lol, getting old Rosa Negra Imortal? Sounds to me
like you just need to listen more to yourself and
your needs in music. Maybe it's extreme metal you
want, maybe it isn't. Try different styles and bands
and I'm sure you'll come accross something that
will blow you away! :eek:)

My musictaste always changes, and I just have to
follow it, to keep myself happy >:eek:)

Originally posted by dolphz
I listen to every style of music (and I mean EVERY type). I find that variety keeps things interesting. I was very into the extreme black metal thing a few weeks ago (Emperor, Myrkskog, ect), last week I was into Marshall Crenshaw and the Dixie Chicks, and some opera. This week it's Theory in Practice and old Scorpions. I never get bored, and I am very ofter exited by some things in music, either new or familiar.

Great view point, I agree with you 100%

My taste in music has changed a lot over the years. When I was in 8th and 9th grade 6 or 7 years ago I ONLY listened to metal, mostly black and gothic. In the middle of the 9th grade I started listening to hip hop which I had done a little bit in the late 80's and early 90's (I only listened to Run DMC and a Danish band called MC Einar though). I stopped listening to metal and only listened to hip hop. Then I found out that hip hop is fake and 99% of the music is just stolen from old records, so I started looking for originals, mostly 70's funk, alongside listening to hip hop and I started making beats with samples myself. This way I got a lot of different records, but all the weird stuff was just fillers in my collection. Now I never listen to hip hop anymore and have sold most of my hip hop records. Now I mainly listen to 60's and 70's stuff. I listen to a lot of Lee Hazlewood, John Barry and rock at the moment. Earlier I didn't like 60's/70's rock and I despised the Beatles, but now I like it. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that as long as I buy records my taste is gonna evolve and I'll find superb shit and I'll find miserable shit!
There are some stuff that I've listened to a lot, but has gotten boring like hip hop. It was basically my life, but now I will never buy another hip hop record again. Never say never, but I'm pretty sure that I won't be listening to hip hop again. The same goes for Bush. I have "Sixteen stone" and listened to it a lot, but now it's just a filler in my collection. You go through periods with music and some will stick with you and some won't. I started listenening to house and trip hop when I listened to hip hop, but they are also indefferent to me now. I think most of my collection consist of 70's funk, but I don't listen that much to that anymore either. Maybe I'll sell my funk records in 7 years or maybe I will be listening to it again. I think some of the stuff I think is superb now will be superb in 20 years too, but I don't think I'll be listening to black metal in 20 years. The only black metal record I might be listening to is "Hvis lyset tar oss" by Burzum and I think the only metal stuff I'll be listening to in 20 years is Type O Negative, Opeth, Guns N' Roses and maybe Iron Maiden. I can say now that I won't be listening to Marduk in 20 years for sure! The two records I have by them has already started to tire me. I think stuff like Lee Hazlewood and John Barry will have the same effect on me in 20 years and I also think that Gershwin's "Summertime" will still be my favorite track in 20 years. Maybe I'm getting old too (at the age of 21), but I think there's music with so much more quality than braindead metal, which I think a lot is. Even though I think Marduk is a good band, they're no doubt a braindead metal band if I can put it that way. I love songs that send chills down my spine instead of just pounding on a distorted guitar. Metal has never really given me this feeling and only a small handfull of metal songs come close to this feeling. Stuff that give me this feeling are all from before the 80's (except Crowded House's "Don't dream it's over") and I think the newest songs that give me this feeling are from '73 or something (except Marvin Gaye's "Life is for learning" which is from '81 and Sissel Kyrkjebø's version of "Summertime" from '88). I also think it's normal that when you get older your music taste gets softer. I haven't heard of people in their 60's listen to metal and I don't think I will either. I think Til Fjalls is right about getting bored by listening to the same type of music all the time, but maybe it's also because metal is very much based on energy and it can get boring in the long run, as you don't need energy all time. At least I don't - I prefer melody above all! Then the mood of the song. Energy can come later as it's not important to me. I guess this is what I can come up with for now (which was a lot I guess).
http://web.inter.nl.net/users/wilkens/