Have you ever had a "real amp feeling" with

I use nick crow's 8505 through my marshall 1960a for practising and I think it's pretty beast. Not as good as a real 5150 but at least I don't have to buy a power attenuator to be able to get 5150 kinda tones at a lower volume.

i never use amp sims,nothing like a real amp in a real room with a real mic and a real mic preamp for me.

In my case i end up working with amp sims about 90% of the time but that is due to the fact that bands that come in dont have any expensive amps (5150, 6505... ect) so i rather use ampsims such as LexTac, and Recto for the guitars. I would pick amp sims any day over shitty line 6 spider amps lol

But the times that i have worked with real amps (6505) i micced it up and i got a good tone but somehow i still missed the sound of ampsims... i guess because im a noob at miccing but i have more experience in achieving a good tone with amp sims than with real amps( i need more practise haha)

To have a real amp feelings from an ampsim you just have to connect your output to some high watt poweramp and let the sound move your pants and interact with strings while you are playing.

I find it much easier to get a decent tone from a good ampsim/impulses than micing a cab.

I tried Marke IV, Triaxis, Engl Savage 60 & 120, Blackmore, Mesa Preamp, Poweramps, Marshall cabs, Engl Cabs, mesa Cabs... all the combinations between them and still can't get a punchy ass-ripping tone as I do with TSE X30 or X50.

I'm retarded.

+1 for Poulins sims

+ 10 to Onqel's TSE sims

Definitely more fun playing through the real deal, but in terms of picking up your instrument and playing amp sims are a huge help in getting ideas down. Dont get me wrong as a guitar player, i love real amps... but as a musician there are some serious advantages to using sims as practice tools.

Yeah, there's nothing like playing through a real amp and obviously you can't really compare a real tube amp cranked up to amp sims. But like I said before, it's not feasible for everyone to record with real amps. I have Nick Crow's as well (someone mentioned that above). Recabinet makes a world of difference in your tone too, for those who record with sims.

I find it much easier to get a decent tone from a good ampsim/impulses than micing a cab.

I tried Marke IV, Triaxis, Engl Savage 60 & 120, Blackmore, Mesa Preamp, Poweramps, Marshall cabs, Engl Cabs, mesa Cabs... all the combinations between them and still can't get a punchy ass-ripping tone as I do with TSE X30 or X50.

I'm retarded.

+ 10 to Onqel's TSE sims

I am exactly the same way. My attempts at recording my 5150 never came out half as good as the TSE sims.

I just want to point out that all the threads in the Rate My Tone section of the forum with real amps hardly ever get poor reviews. The mic'ed up shit is where it's at.

The mic'ed amps are indeed the way to go for a pro recording; I'm sure most of us agree on that. But I think the point here is not everyone has the capability or access to do that, so the next best thing may be using amp sims which there are a ton of crappy sims out there, but there are a hand full that if you spend some time tweaking, sound pretty good. There are also many other elements to getting a decent recording; whether you mic your amp or use amp sims is just one of those elements. That being said, I don't think it's impossible to get good tones using sims if you have the right combination (amp sim, EQ, gate, compression, etc), an ear for mixing, and overall studio skills. If you lack the latter two, it doesn't really matter what you record your guitar with; it's probably not going to sound good.

Now, if I had my choice I'd love to mic a 6505 on axis with a Shure 57 and a few pedals. But for now I'm using Legion amp sims and Recabinet. Can you really compare the two? Probably not because now we're talking apples and oranges (hmmm, now I'm hungry). But after all is said and done, the final mixes are coming out fine, but that's just my own opinion (on my own music).

I find it really hard to believe that there are some guys here that get much better tones with amp sims than real amps. I know that right now my current real amp setup is dead simple and without even trying sounds more godly than me spending hours trying to get a half decent sound with amp sims. It actually takes me longer just to set up an amp sim chain in a blank DAW session than it takes to turn on my already mic'd amp and turn on my mic preamp. The reality is, you don't need cranked volumes to get great results with any tube amp, although a tube amp at full volume would sound better. I have found that with the right mic position (and its not that difficult) and the right amp settings, you can get much better tones with a real amp than you ever could with any amp sim even at bedroom volumes or i can't wake up anyone else in the house or the neighbors when I am jamming out at 2 in the morning volumes.

I find it really hard to believe that there are some guys here that get much better tones with amp sims than real amps. I know that right now my current real amp setup is dead simple and without even trying sounds more godly than me spending hours trying to get a half decent sound with amp sims. It actually takes me longer just to set up an amp sim chain in a blank DAW session than it takes to turn on my already mic'd amp and turn on my mic preamp. The reality is, you don't need cranked volumes to get great results with any tube amp, although a tube amp at full volume would sound better. I have found that with the right mic position (and its not that difficult) and the right amp settings, you can get much better tones with a real amp than you ever could with any amp sim even at bedroom volumes or i can't wake up anyone else in the house or the neighbors when I am jamming out at 2 in the morning volumes.

I agree 100%

Never got that feel with ampsims, sound aside.

I always end up dialing a lot more gain than I would on the amp to get that kind of response, and it never gets even close ( to the "feel" we're talking about).

About sound...well, while I use them for writing, demoing at home (and they are great for that, and they fit in the mix well with little effort), they're also pretty different in character.

It really comes down to preference and of course the final mix. You can have an amazing tone coming out of your amp/cabinet but then it may not necessarily sound good in the overall mix. The good thing about amp sims is if your tone doesn't quite fit the mix it's a little easier to adjust the parameters/settings after the fact.

Once again, if you're in a pro studio and you have the pro gear, correct room dimensions, quality mics, etc. then by all means miking an amp is the way to go. But for home or small studio purposes you may be able to get some decent tones from amp sims (I've been using Poulin Legion with Recabinet lately; not a bad combination).

The closest I have come is the Axe FX through a Marshall Power amp with El34s into a 4x12. It was EXTREMELY convincing and had a killer feel, not AS good as a real tube amp but really really close.

Running "direct" with anything will never be the same. Pushing air makes all the difference in the world.

I've thought about getting the Axe Fx...I've heard nothing but great things about it. I've also read some 'Axe Fx vs. the new POD HD500' reviews...I realize that's probably comparing apples to oranges though. The pushing air makes sense; you definitely don't get that through sims or processors. With something like the Axe Fx, would you really notice the difference in the final mix as opposed to a miked tube amp?