Have you ever had a "real amp feeling" with

sandra-

Jul 10, 2009
Ger.
....amp sims?

Don't get me wrong. I love my amp sims and play most of the time with them.
But even tho i can get far more tones from them i find myself always throwing up my old practice amp just to get that "real amp feeling"....
I don't know it just has some real amp "magic" to it that i can't get with ampsims while playing.

So my question is....

Was anyone able to get a real amp feeling from amp sims? Or close to?
If not.... do you think amp sims will get there in the future?

Poulin's Legion.
It really reacts to your playing as a real amp does.

But nothing will ever replace having that 4*12, the glow and smell of a tube amp.

No

But i guess is 99% people are running an ampsim through studio monitors, and an amp through a beasty 4x12 (and way lourder), that might contribute to the difference in feeling, dunno :Smokin:

Ampsims are pure conveniance but... don't ever think of it as a substitute for a real amp shifting some real air.
They can sound pretty good... I use POD lots. But nothing will ever beat a good amp through a good mic so I don't kid myself that POD is some kind of substitute for that.

Real amps rule. Amp sims are a compromise as far as I'm concerned. You can get passable results... but I'll always opt for a real amp + cab if I can.

I can say that now that I have a quality cab! :lol:

No, all the amp sims I've tried were far less dynamic than real amps.

It's something you can live with, since amp sims are a godsend when writing, but they react in a different way

Well of course the Pod isn't gonna be, but don't judge all ampsims on Line6's models!

Nothing wrong with line 6's models... hell I wouldnt have bought it if it sounded shit but from boss to korg to line6 to whoever... I havent found an amp that reacts or sits in the mix the same way that a real amp/cab/mic track does. They just happen to be plug-n-play conveniant.
End of story.

I love amp sims, but nothing quite makes you want to give your all like a real tube amp. I just love the way they reward you when you play like a muthafucker

+1 for Legion! I'm actually using it for tracking my bands album. I also use Recabinet and LeCab. I don't think i could get a better sound out of an actual amp. But that's maybe because i suck at micing and recording my 6505 and Mesa Standard Cab... ;-)

+1 for Legion! I'm actually using it for tracking my bands album. I also use Recabinet and LeCab. I don't think i could get a better sound out of an actual amp. But that's maybe because i suck at micing and recording my 6505 and Mesa Standard Cab... ;-)

I use the same amp sim and impulses dude :D

I know this is an old thread but I've been using the Poulin Legion amp and I'm pretty impressed (I'm using it with Recabinet). As far as tone and feel, and if you're playing through high quality monitors (KRK Rokits!) then it's really close to playing through a tube, IMO.

Sure it would be ideal to crank your amp and mic it but not everyone has that capability (equipment, proper setup, room dimensions, understanding neighbors that dig metal, etc...) That being said, for small or home studio recording, the Legion amp is amazing.