That is no racist statement but...

I'm not black, but my parents are from India. I'm seem to be one of the few Indian metal fans, especially when it comes to females. So far, I've been the only Indian at metal shows. The Indian metal fans I do meet are guys, but they are rare in general.

My experience is that minority backgrounds can shun you for listening to metal, because it's perceived as the "white man's music." I have been accused of being "white-washed" for being a metal fan by other Indians, being ashamed of my ethnic background, and asked how an Indian girl like myself could like such music.

I can imagine how a black metalhead could also be given a hard time from other blacks...Just a thought.

My experience is that minority backgrounds can shun you for listening to metal, because it's perceived as the "white man's music." I have been accused of being "white-washed" for being a metal fan by other Indians, being ashamed of my ethnic background, and asked how an Indian girl like myself could like such music.

FWIW, we're happy to have you aboard!

Ok...let me give it to you guys from a black guys perspective. when i was growing up, from the time i was born till about 7 all i listen to was disco, funk, soul, and R&B..and i mean ole school R&B. Prince, Jackson Five, Earth,Wind & Fire was all i could listen to. cause thats what my parents listen to. My father was a doctor, so we had a little bit of money for some reason my parents stayed away from the "all black side of town". the east side of San Antonio, anyway all i went to school with were 85% white 7% hispanic and the rest African American. so when not at home i had to listen to what my white friends were listening to. from Boston to Foreigner to Journey to Black Sabath, it got heavier and heavierfrom Ozzy to Metallica then death metal. Now i wanna let all you white guys in on a little secret...there are alota black people out there even the ones who play rap in heavy rotation.....cant stand rap, the problem is the radio stations ram it in our ears, because they think thats what we wanna hear.

I'm not black, but my parents are from India. I'm seem to be one of the few Indian metal fans, especially when it comes to females. So far, I've been the only Indian at metal shows. The Indian metal fans I do meet are guys, but they are rare in general.

I can imagine how a black metalhead could also be given a hard time from other blacks...Just a thought.
Fellow indian metalhead ftw!

Ok...let me give it to you guys from a black guys perspective. when i was growing up, from the time i was born till about 7 all i listen to was disco, funk, soul, and R&B..and i mean ole school R&B. Prince, Jackson Five, Earth,Wind & Fire was all i could listen to. cause thats what my parents listen to. My father was a doctor, so we had a little bit of money for some reason my parents stayed away from the "all black side of town". the east side of San Antonio, anyway all i went to school with were 85% white 7% hispanic and the rest African American. so when not at home i had to listen to what my white friends were listening to. from Boston to Foreigner to Journey to Black Sabath, it got heavier and heavierfrom Ozzy to Metallica then death metal. Now i wanna let all you white guys in on a little secret...there are alota black people out there even the ones who play rap in heavy rotation.....cant stand rap, the problem is the radio stations ram it in our ears, because they think thats what we wanna hear.

Cool dude, appreciate the lowdown! And I love funk, soul, R & B, anything that really "cooks" :headbang:

.... after much sadness in my life. When everything seemed hopeless. I went on a journey to investigate the source of said ill. I must admit this was a life changing discovery! I climbed mountains & fought tigers with my bare hands. I've been attacked by bees in swarms. I once sustained a snake bite that threaten to take my leg. I have arm wrestled thugs in the streets of L.A for rights to property, mainly being my shoes. I had to choose between a child's life and that of my own! I had to literally cut off one of my fingers because of this:
Fingertrap_757.jpg

Then like in a dream....... but fully awake. I turned the radio off.

OH, so I don't come off as completely random.

Just to post my two cents in this thread - it's pretty common to see black musicians in the local scenes if you live in or near the urban areas. I'm recording a metal band right now that 3/5 are black! It truely amazes me at how much classic rock/metal these guys know because not only are they black but they are in their late teens/early 20's. They are a bunch of great guys.