that new DARK TRANQUILLITY album

^^^ These two songs are good things. A bonus disc worth its plastic for a change.

Bumping because Atoma as a whole is not my favoUrite Dark Tranquillity album, nor is it their best, but g-d dammit, it has been my Feel Good Hit of the Summer album for a few years now. Every time the weather warms up, the second riff on the first song gets jammed into my head, and then I listen to the title track about 17 times in a row.

i'm glad someone cared about this post and these songs three years down the line

feels like i posted it last week-ish

anyway "the absolute" is absolutely the tits

I first read your post sometime last year and thought "whoa I should actually spin the boner disc now" so yeah man, I totally care. Hashtag Never Forget

Damage Done is the only DT album I ever got rid of, I started with that one and didn't "get" it either. Now I'm a fanboi and love most of what they have done, still need to pick that album up a second time.

And yeah I'm surely going to get this new one. Atoma is one of my favoUrite Rockin' Good Time albums of the last several years, it's certainly not The Gallery nor is it Projector, but dammit, I really like it.

Reactions: SonOfNun
skydancer is a beautiful, one-of-a-kind album, but it is almost nothing like the others

dark tranquillity was one of those bands that sounded distinctly different on every release until they found a comfortable pool they liked around "damage done" and since then they've just been treading that water

--- DARK TRANQUILLITY CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE ---

IF YOU LIKE:
* frilly shirts, romantic forests, very wordy lyrics, acoustic guitars, and sabbat (UK) ---> "skydancer"
* fancy-ass show-off guitar playing, intricate counterpoint melodies, and genre-defining immortal classics --> "the gallery"
* hey, what if "slaughter of the soul" was good and meaningful instead of hot garbage? ---> "the mind's i"
* crying ---> "projector"

i mean all of the above are 10/10 so pick your poison really

Ive read the new one harkens back to projector/haven

And im like 1 of 14 people who liked haven....so yay me

no, i love "haven"

the new one, ehhh... i've heard the three new songs they dropped and i mean it sounds at least a little bit different in terms of riff and lead guitar style, which is not surprising because there's only stanne and jivarp left of the old guard

but if you go into it thinking there's going to be a return to the creativity and emotion they had back in the projector days you are going to be disappointed

I havent listened to them. I will order it from the amazons tomorrow. Apparently theres a 2 disc version

One of those bands I enjoyed when I was 19 or something but have not kept up with at all.

People always told me I looked exactly like Mikael Stanne and I never saw it.

One of those bands I enjoyed when I was 19 or something but have not kept up with at all.

People always told me I looked exactly like Mikael Stanne and I never saw it.

I can see it for sure. Hopefully you don't smell like him though. I saw them in 2005 or 2006 and was in the front row. Dude had the craziest body odor I've ever experienced. It was so intense that yes, you could tell it was coming from him in the middle of a concert hall. I screamed out "YESTERWORLD" in between songs and they all looked at me and laughed. This was probably the highlight of my entire life, and then Martin Henriksson handed me a guitar pick at the end of the show.

I saw them live in 2018 and it was honestly "bad". Hey, at least they aren't In Flames.

I can see it for sure. Hopefully you don't smell like him though. I saw them in 2005 or 2006 and was in the front row. Dude had the craziest body odor I've ever experienced. It was so intense that yes, you could tell it was coming from him in the middle of a concert hall. I screamed out "YESTERWORLD" in between songs and they all looked at me and laughed. This was probably the highlight of my entire life, and then Martin Henriksson handed me a guitar pick at the end of the show.

I saw them live in 2018 and it was honestly "bad". Hey, at least they aren't In Flames.

I am fairly confident that I smell better than that.

Also that I should check out some of DT newer stuff and revisit Skydancer based on Erik's ever so evocative description.

I am fairly confident that I smell better than that.

Also that I should check out some of DT newer stuff and revisit Skydancer based on Erik's ever so evocative description.

Skydancer, The Gallery, and The Mind's I are three of the best albums ever recorded. Haven, Damage Done, and Character are also excellent releases.

character is not bad, exactly, it's just kind of lacking,

ahem,

character

basically it was the true start of "henceforth all albums after this shall sound exactly the same". although arguably "damage done" was about 90% there already.

speaking of which, i listened to the entire new album "moment" and it's not so very happening. unsurprisingly, it sounds like it always does, with a few little twists due to the new members (more solos, slightly different riff styles sometimes). it's actually kind of remarkable how niklas sundin AND martin henriksson can both leave and it still sounds the same, like these new guys have done their homework on The DT Trademark Sound™ clearly

i thought "a drawn out exit" was pretty good, it sounds a little bit more threatening than normal
also "empires lost to time", one of the bonus tracks, has a pretty cool main riff that is primo 90's melodeth

otherwise, meeeeh

Found the new one hard work. Just did nothing for me.

I enjoy everything up to and including Fiction.