Dark Tranquillity = In Flames

Ormir

Oct 11, 2001
Espoo, Finland
I posted this on hmas.org previously, so some of you might be familiar with it. I had a lot of fun writing these rather trivial, but strangely amusing similaritys between the bands :D Hope you enjoy it.

+++

Dark Tranquillity - Skydancer
Hailing from Gothenburg, Dark Tranquillity come out with a well-received debut album on a small label, Spine Farm. Combining melody with brutality, Skydancer represents a breath of fresh air into the death metal scene. Female vocals and folk elements add a new twist to the sound. Vocalist Anders Friden pulls off a professional job, although this album is his only one with the band, as he moves on to become the vocalist of In Flames. Poetic lyrics are courtesy of Mikael Stanne.

In Flames - Lunar Strain
Hailing from Gothenburg, In Flames come out with a well-received debut album on a small label, WAR. Combining melody with brutality, Lunar Strain represents a breath of fresh air into the death metal scene. Female vocals and folk elements add a new twist to the sound. Vocalist Mikael Stanne pulls off a professional job, although this album is his only one with the band, as he moves on to become the vocalist of Dark Tranquillity. Poetic lyrics are courtesy of Mikael Stanne.

+++

Dark Tranquillity - Of Chaos and Eternal Night
This 1994 interrim EP showcases a transition between their debut Skydancer, and the forthcoming The Gallery, showing a combination of the two styles. Much more emphasis is put on melodic guitar leads. Dark Tranquillity features some member changes, and a new guitarist is brought into the band. Drumming on the album is performed by Anders Jivarp. This would be their last release on Spine Farm, as the band moves on to a bigger label, Osmose. Of Chaos and Eternal Night soon becomes a sought-after item, and is currently available sold together with Skydancer.

In Flames - Subterranean
This 1994 interrim EP showcases a transition between their debut Lunar Strain, and the forthcoming The Jester Race, showing a combination of the two styles. Much more emphasis is put on melodic guitar leads. In Flames features some member changes, and a new guitarist is brought into the band. Drumming on the album is performed by Anders Jivarp. This would be their last release on WAR, as the band moves on to a bigger label, Nuclear Blast. Subterranean soon becomes a sought-after item, and is currently available sold together with Lunar Strain.

+++

Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
Considered by many the pinnacle of melodic death metal, The Gallery is unleashed on the metal scene in 1995, getting an overwhelmingly positive reception. Still held by many fans as their best release, The Gallery would be the album all subsequent DT releases are compared to, even all melodic death metal. Niklas Sundin collaborates with the vocalist Mikael Stanne in writing the lyrics. The Gallery features the guitaring talent of a Fredrik Johansson. They work with producer Fredrik Nordström in Studio Fredman for a highly polished sound. In a hiatus between their next album, members of DT join with IF to form the power metal band "Hammerfall".

In Flames - The Jester Race
Considered by many the pinnacle of melodic death metal, The Jester Race is unleashed on the metal scene in 1995, getting an overwhelmingly positive reception. Still held by many fans as their best release, The Jester Race would be the album all subsequent IF releases are compared to, even all melodic death metal. Niklas Sundin collaborates with the vocalist Anders Friden in writing the lyrics. The Jester Race features the guitaring talent of a Fredrik Johansson. They work with producer Fredrik Nordström in Studio Fredman for a highly polished sound. In a hiatus between their next album, members of IF join with DT to form the power metal band "Hammerfall".

+++

Dark Tranquillity - Enter Suicidal Angels
Released as a teaser (1996) for the upcoming third album, The Mind's I, ESA features one song from TMI, and three tracks that would only be found on this release. One of them is an "experimental" instrumental. Produced and recorded in Studio Fredman.

In Flames - Black Ash Inheritance
Released as a teaser (1996) for the upcoming third album, Whoracle, BAI features one song from Whoracle, and three tracks that would only be found on this release. One of them is an "experimental" instrumental. Produced and recorded in Studio Fredman.

+++

Dark Tranquillity - The Mind's I
Featuring a much more streamlined, even simple, song structure compared to The Gallery, TMI is a dissapointment to many fans expecting a follow-up to The Gallery. The riffing on TMI is much more thrashy, and features less melodic leads than The Gallery. Once again, lyrics are a collaboration between vocalist Mikael Stanne and Niklas Sundin. Female vocals are featured on one song. Released in 1997. In this session, Dark Tranquillity also record an Iron Maiden cover. Two promotional music videos are shot for TMI. Once again, produced and recorded in Studio Fredman. During this period Niklas and Mikael leave Hammerfall to concentrate fully on DT.

In Flames - Whoracle
Featuring a much more streamlined, even simple, song structure compared to TJR, Whoracle is a dissapointment to many fans expecting a follow-up to TJR. The riffing on Whoracle is much more thrashy, and features less melodic leads than TJR. Once again, lyrics are a collaboration between vocalist Anders Friden and Niklas Sundin. Female vocals are featured on one song. Released in 1997. In this session, In Flames also record an Iron Maiden cover. Two promotional music videos are shot for Whoracle. Once again, produced and recorded in Studio Fredman. During this period Jesper and Glenn leave Hammerfall to concentrate fully on IF.

+++

Dark Tranquillity - Projector
Dark Tranquillity return to the metal scene in 1999 with Projector, a huge departure from their previous works. Although receiving a mainly positive response, the band receives some criticism for their experimental sound. The band records a music video for the second track on the album, ThereIn, which introduces clean vocals, with Mikael shifting between cleans and death growls. DT follows with a succesful world tour, with and without In Flames, expanding their fan base. Produced and recorded in Studio Fredman, Gothenburg.

In Flames - Colony
In Flames return to the metal scene in 1999 with Colony, carrying on the same path as their previous works. Although receiving a mainly positive response, the band receives some criticism for their lack of originality. The band records a music video for the second track on the album, Ordinary Story, which introduces clean vocals, with Anders shifting between cleans and death growls. IF follows with a succesful world tour, with and without Dark Tranquillity, expanding their fan base. Produced and recorded in Studio Fredman, Gothenburg.

+++

Dark Tranquillity - Haven
Instead of continuing on the path of Projector, Dark Tranquillity make a faster, agressive record in the 2000 follow-up Haven, which is as much a departure to Projector as it was from their previous style. Keyboards gain a significant presence for the first time, although most melody is still handled by the guitars and vocalist. The clean vocals introduced on Projector are almost gone on Haven. By this time Niklas Sundin has stopped contributing to lyrics, and they are the sole domain of vocalist Mikael Stanne now, with a consistently high quality. Production and mixing of the album is the shared responsibility of DT, Anders Friden and Fredrik Nordström, in the traditional Studio Fredman. Another succesful tour follows, once again with In Flames.

In Flames - Clayman
Instead of continuing on the path of Colony, In Flames make a slower, less agressive record in the 2000 follow-up Clayman, although the album still strongly resembles Colony. Keyboards gain a significant presence for the first time, although most melody is still handled by the guitars and vocalist. The clean vocals introduced on Colony are almost gone on Clayman. By this time Niklas Sundin has stopped contributing to lyrics, and they are the sole domain of vocalist Anders Friden now, with a dramatic fall in quality. Production and mixing of the album is the shared responsibility of IF, Anders Friden and Fredrik Nordström, in the traditional Studio Fredman. Another succesful tour follows, once again with Dark Tranquillity.

+++

Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done
After a year of hiatus, Dark Tranquillity return to to the metal scene. Original reports from the band indicate a much faster album than Haven, with more emphasis on guitar melodies. Before the release of DD, DT also open a new forum on ultimatemetal, where the first reports of leaks happen, many months before the album is released. These first reports are overwhelmingly positive, and the fan community is filled with tense excitement. When Damage Done is finally released in the later half of 2002, it receives a positive response from the media and almost all fans. Those dissapointed by their new style are positively surprised with a return to a guitar melody dominated sound. Like Haven, there are no cleans on the album. The production is better than ever, courtesy of Studio Fredman. All concept art for the album and merchandise is designed by Niklas Sundin. At this point, Dark Tranquillity have all but one original member still part of the band. They embark on a succesful US tour with In Flames in late 2002. DT drummer Anders joins the newly re-formed Ceremonial Oath.

In Flames - Reroute to Remain
After a year of hiatus, In Flames return to to the metal scene. Original reports from the band indicate a much faster album than Clayman, with more emphasis on guitar melodies. Before the release of RtR, IF also open a new forum on ultimatemetal, where the first reports of leaks happen, many months before the album is released. These first reports are overwhelmingly negative, and the fan community is filled with tense dreading. When Reroute to Remain is finally released in the later half of 2002, it receives a positive response from the media but leaves many fans wantin more. Those dissapointed by their new style are further so, as the band has less guitar melodys in their sound than ever. Unlike Clayman, there are large amounts of cleans on the album. The production is considered quite poor compared to their previous works, as the band choose not to use Studio Fredman. All concept art for the album and merchandise is designed by Niklas Sundin. At this point, only one original member is left in the band. They embark on a succesful US tour with Dark Tranquillity in late 2002. IF vocalist Anders joins the newly re-formed Ceremonial Oath.

+++

Thanks to Villain, Wanderingblade, MadTinus and phyre for inspiration and information.

congratulations..

you managed to sterotype and simplify two incredible bands into a bland page of meaningless "so-called" similarities.

you forgot to mention the part where they both use guitars

i especailly like these similarities.

Originally posted by Ormir
Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done
These first reports are overwhelmingly positive, and the fan community is filled with tense excitement. When Damage Done is finally released in the later half of 2002, it receives a positive response from the media and almost all fans. Those dissapointed by their new style are positively surprised with a return to a guitar melody dominated sound. the production is better than ever.

In Flames - Reroute to Remain
These first reports are overwhelmingly negative, and the fan community is filled with tense dreading. When Reroute to Remain is finally released in the later half of 2002, it receives a positive response from the media but leaves many fans wantin more. Those dissapointed by their new style are further so, as the band has less guitar melodys in their sound than ever. The production is considered quite poor considered to their previous works.
[/B]

Clayman's lyrics suffer a dramatic fall in quality ? did you read the same booklet I did ?
sure the lyrics are more personnal but they still rule

and about the original members thing ... it's not Jesper's fault if Glenn and Johan chickened out when the band got too big

Originally posted by Mr. NoReaction
Clayman's lyrics suffer a dramatic fall in quality ? did you read the same booklet I did ?
sure the lyrics are more personnal but they still rule

and about the original members thing ... it's not Jesper's fault if Glenn and Johan chickened out when the band got too big

Glenn and Johan chickened out? Where'd you hear that?

hehe, that was very funny indeed, especially the first part (the real "similar" part). :D

i didn't know jivarp joined ceremonial oath as a side project. :eek: if it wasn't for the other anders i would be dying to know of their next release. do you ppl know of a link where i can find more infos?

rahvin.

:lol:

I had actually thought about writing something like that by myself, but due to continuous lack of spare-time I never did that.

One thing I have to nitpick, though: OCaEN was originally released early 1995, although it was recorded during the previous year.

-Villain

@Those who were/might be offended: I did this only for fun, since I found the trivial similaritys between the bands very amusing, and I'm first to admit I was grasping at straws in some examples :D

@MrNoReaction: I really don't know about the reasons for IF members leaving the band, but I tried to write this objectively, and I don't think any bias really shines through. As for Clayman's lyrics, please take a look at the spelling and compare it to anything Niklas wrote :p

@Villain: Nitpick duly noted :p (feels his DT knowledge grow)

I'm sorry if the topic caused mental scars or panic attacks to some :cry:

@Mr. NoReaction: If the spelling is bad you can't make out the content.. ;)

good works ormir,you erased the bigger mistakesof the first post on the If board
(norrman,studios) good and made it even better
always funny to read
I dont agree with you ins ome things about the last albums and especially the r2r and whole If critics but who cares?

but it would be good to know more news about the ceremonial oath reunion