That reverse snare sound in breakdowns

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
I'm sure you guys all know what i'm talking about. That reverse snare and/or cymbal that happens during breakdowns. I was wondering what you guys do exactly to achieve that sound. I also noticed the snare sound is changed as well. It's like a huge reverby sound. Can anyone give me tips on this?

I usually just find a really powerful and deep sounding snare sample from anywhere(I usually use the paramore snare in erkans organized samples haha). Put a ton of verb on it, export it, then import it and reverse it. Then I line up the transient to the original. Maybe not the best approach but it works for me.

I usually just find a really powerful and deep sounding snare sample from anywhere(I usually use the paramore snare in erkans organized samples haha). Put a ton of verb on it, export it, then import it and reverse it. Then I line up the transient to the original. Maybe not the best approach but it works for me.

That's pretty much exactly what I do.

but don't you start the reverse snare before the normal one hits so it swells into the hit? Or is that what your talking about? Are you saying you take the reverse snare and line up the transient (which would be at the end of the sample now that it's reversed) to the transient of the normal snare? I've been cutting out the transient or the reversed snare and having it end right when the normal snare hits.

but don't you start the reverse snare before the normal one hits so it swells into the hit? Or is that what your talking about? Are you saying you take the reverse snare and line up the transient (which would be at the end of the sample now that it's reversed) to the transient of the normal snare? I've been cutting out the transient or the reversed snare and having it end right when the normal snare hits.

Yepp thats how you do it. What i do to spice the reverse snare a bit is to use automating panning and go from like 50% Left to 45% Right on reverse snare right before the real snare. Sound really cool imo.

the transient at the end of the reverse snare just seems weird to me to keep. I'll try it some more. Thanks a lot guys.

I use BroT00lz, so how I do it is... copy a snare hit from my snare track, preferably a hard hit, create new audio track, paste that bad boy into the new track. Highlight the snare and then 3-4 secs of grid after, this is so that there is enough selected for the reverb. Go to audiosuite, use a Large room/hall/cathedral verb, process, audiosuite again, reverse, process, slip it to where you want it on the grid, then what I do is cut of the actual attack of the hit of the snare so then you're left with he hench tail, then slip back into place.