The Abortion Thread

I don't think anyone here is going to bat for 3rd trimester abortions in situations that aren't medical emergencies for the pregnant woman. Don't dwell on that. I want women to do what is best for them, and there's not really a reasonable case where it takes them 6-9 months to figure that out.

1. Incest. Especially if the girl is a minor it can often take a long time to get away from the rapist and have an opportunity to make a choice.

2. Abusive Husbands/Boyfriends: Violent men can often intimidate women into doing what they want. Sometimes women have to wait for the right moment to get away.

3. Getting to a clinic: In many "red states" there are few abortion clinics, which means that patents have to travel far to recieve treatment. If the woman is low-income this can be a major hindrance and it can take some time to save up for travel costs (i.e. bus fair, motel etc.)

So the point with all of these is that to say there are no reasonable non-medical 3rd trimester abortions presupposes that every woman has safety/access/autonomy/finances when it comes to abortions and that's just not true.

So even though a child could exist outside the womb a month or more early with no special care, until it finally gets around to popping out, it has no rights?

Seems quite arbitrary.

I hate to get away from the point, but it might be necessary here to explain why some of us are arguing from that perspective.

I don't believe that rights are inherent or predetermined, as I'm sure you know. I believe that rights are societal/cultural inventions that are projected onto/into the world. Since a fetus exists prior to the ability to do this, it cannot conceive of rights for itself.

Now, if everyone will take closer note of the argument, us pro-choicers aren't saying "There should be at least a certain number of abortions performed each year." We're arguing for a woman to choose that option if she so desires. On the other hand, pro-lifers want to restrict that option entirely. This is because pro-lifers project the rights that are dictated by society onto an unborn fetus. And that's fine; but there are those of us who don't see it that way, and who don't believe that abortion should be restricted because of this.

fortunately, after doing a little research, i realized the civilized world as well as public opinion pretty much agree with me

Popular opinion has never been, nor will it ever be, a sign of something being correct. There was a time when popular opinion held that the sun revolved around the earth.

I don't think anyone here is going to bat for 3rd trimester abortions in situations that aren't medical emergencies for the pregnant woman. Don't dwell on that. I want women to do what is best for them, and there's not really a reasonable case where it takes them 6-9 months to figure that out.

In regards to personhood, that's really not a bridge that a human crosses until some time after being out of the womb. It probably takes well after a year for infants to take on substantial characteristics of a person, i.e. a personality, specific relationships with others, ability to have two-way communications, advanced brain functions.

I definitely understand arguments against abortions when the fetus would be viable. I really don't see much difference between an 8 month fetus and a 1 month infant. I would draw the personhood line somewhere between birth and a year old, but I'm pragmatic enough to accept that the argument will always end with birth.

In my mind, these debates always take a particularly self-centered view. Let's look at what's best for society. When we talk about abortion, we aren't talking about husbands and wives wiping out a fetus at 30 weeks. We are largely talking about people who were not ready to have a child, and they want to make a decision very early on.

I'm in agreement (again). I don't see much of a difference biologically between an eight-month fetus and a one-month infant; but the fact still remains that they're separated by the moment of birth.

I want to be clear that I'm not suggesting a bunch of women should get abortions, or that pregnant women in their third trimester should absolutely get abortions. I'm arguing for the proposed right of the individual, which exists in a structural cultural framework and has an awareness of itself and of its proposed rights. A fetus has none, except those which society projects onto it.

of course there are unfortunate exceptional circumstances. but those account for a small percentage of abortions and if you look at my links, almost all countries have provisions for them and i can understand that.

First of all, I was talking about 3rd trimester abortions, in which case I do not believe the aforementioned cases do not make up a "small percentage" of the cases. It's very hard to evaluate the reasons women get abortions, since surveys are not taken at the clinics, but from most of the anecdotal evidence that I read or spoken to people about suggests to me that 3rd trimester abortions are almost never a scenario where a woman got cold feel at the last minute. There is almost always some "exceptional" circumstance involved.

However, if we take a more general approach, it is definitely a stretch to suggest that cases such as rape and incest are "exceptional." 1 in 6 women is raped in the US. More than half of rape cases never get reported to the police, and only 5% lead to a conviction of a criminal. That's why when people say stuff like "abortion should be illegal expect in cases of rape..." it's bullshit. Rape is a very controlled, regulated and reported phenomenon. If the rape isn't reported or legal proven to be a rape (and even if this is attempted, this can be an extremely long process) how is there supposed to be a fair judgement of whether a given pregnancy is a product of rape? Furthermore, in many cases (i.e. date rape) the victim might not even realize that it is a case of rape, though it is.

29% of sexual assault victims are age 12-17. Those are years where girls are capable of becoming pregnant but often have little to no autonomy from authority figures (i.e. father, stepfather, uncle etc.). In these cases it might take an exceptional circumstance to get to an abortion clinic.

What's the point with all this? My point is that there is no practical way to give women the autonomy to abort in cases of rape and incest unless there is freedom of choice, because the situations in which the case is legally recognized as rape/incest are few and far between.

P.S. All the statistics are from http://www.rainn.org/

Aug, i must commend you on trolling so many people in this thread for so long. You may not know the first thing about argumentative reasoning, but you sure know how to keep gullible people occupied.

In all honesty Grant, you wanted a discussion on this, and aug's points at least allowed me to put forth my opinion. If you've already made up your mind, then why bother making a thread in the first place?

No one else seems to be biting, so sure, I'll argue with aug. If the only other opinion you really cared about was Cyth's, then have a discussion with just him.

I certainly haven't made up my mind. I posted a pretty awesome pro-abortion argument earlier, and the only person who even responded to it was aug. It seems pretty clear to me there's not much going for the anti-abortion camp in this thread, until either Cyth returns, or Dak happens to feel like taking a stab at my argument, or someone like you decides to play devil's advocate. I just don't see the point of me playing patty-cake with aug.

Here's my argument again, in case anyone cares. I made a few upgrades from the original, including a response to the one useful piece of input aug provided before going off the rails.

----------------------------------------

WHY ABORTION IS OKAY:

1) The only value in existence is that which originates from conscious humans (or from other animals, which is irrelevant in this context). Note that in order for this value to be nontrivial, a person's life must have some guarantee of sustainability through sleep and other periods of unconsciousness, therefore value cannot be said to "disappear" when a person is unconscious.

2) The one object of value upon which all others depend is each individual's own survival. This, combined with the necessity of a social network for survival, has led humanity to agree collectively that "murder is bad". This does not mean human value does not exist if there is not a social contract discouraging/prohibiting murder, but common knowledge shows us that human value becomes much *less* trivial if we all agree to avoid killing each other.

3) Here's the key piece: fetuses are not conscious, and are not part of any social network, therefore killing them has a trivial bearing on human value. Note that this conclusion provides for the protection of babies that are already born, since at that point "somebody knows them" and therefore they are part of a social network.

Some addenda for clarification/rebuttal purposes:

4) There is no basis for applying a "potential to have value" argument to fetuses since there is a negligible difference between their potential to have value and that of sperm/eggs/embryos.

5) The controversial "grey area" regarding the point at which a "fetus" becomes a "baby" can be explained by the degree to which people can relate to an unborn baby emotionally (which is part of the basis for a social connection). Given the previous points, it's really up to the mother to decide whether she's emotionally attached enough to the baby she's carrying to allow it to live, since (if her freedom is respected in accordance with other common ethics) she has control over the birth of it.

the moment of birth is an insignificant demarcation point for when society will suddenly project rights on the child. the demarcation point should be determined by biological facts (organs work, feels pain, doesnt need placenta/umbilical), NOT whether it's separated from the world by a few layers of skin and has arbitrary notions of conditioning.

As I said earlier, I myself am not fully resolved of the late term abortion issue myself, but to call the moment of birth insignificant is idiotic. It is the moment at which one person separates from another, literally and biologically.

there's an abortion thread on the philosopher's forum
i've already posted my thoughts on abortion on that thread

haha yeah nobody else was arguing with the pro-abortionists so i thought what the hell. i really do believe the stuff i was saying on a scientific level (and you can't say my reasoning was uninformed...it was always based on facts), though on a personal level, bitches can go toss their wretched offspring in a blender and i would laugh heartily.

Based on facts? That wasn't the case when you were talking in circles and refusing to understand arguments.

do you think i like repeating shit? i am backed by science and they/you use imaginary ideas like "conditioning". it was fun but now i'm bored. back to fucking whores!

It's true, I made up the whole concept of conditioning. Obviously, society and culture have no influence at all on individuals. I have been exposed, and am ashamed.

I don't really see a problem with it. Although, adoption is an option, isn't it? If it ALWAYS is, well then i see no need for Abortion.