"The absolute guide to progressive metal"

ChrisK

Jan 15, 2014
I'd like to share with you an article that I organized and we wrote on our site a few months ago. I think it may a good topic for some discussions here.

We tried to choose the 100 albums of progressive metal that would make an absolute guide for the genre.

Our first rule was to try and stick to the more traditional side of the genre as prog is a vague term, especially in our days.

Secondly we wanted to present as many bands as possible, but at the same time give a few more slots to those we think that stand out for one reason or another.

To make it more complete we added plus 10 albums that come from the "open-minded" side of the genre.

I write these things on the prologue, but most people don't bother to read it, judging from the comments (yes, the order is chronological by year).

So here it is: http://www.rocking.gr/articles/en/The-Absolute-Guide-To-Progressive-Metal/17150/

and also here's an extra article with musicians sharing some stories about their own albums: http://www.rocking.gr/articles/en/The-stories-behind-Absolute-Guide-To-Progressive-Metal/17299/

Pain Of Salvation play "Remedy Lane" in this year's festival and I couldn't be more jealous (even though I had the chance to see them when they were touring for it), so here's a nice story. Well, I really can't get enough of Daniel sometimes.

I hope you enjoy reading it and I'd be glad to make a discussion about it.

Cheers!

Nice list, I had seen it before, but now it makes more sense that I learn it's chronological order. That was bothering me. Consider it a personal mission of mine to go down this list and listen to each album at least once. At least the ones I can see on Spotify. Just for fun.

Part of me wonders if this list should be a bit broader than it is. For example, he mentions Star One and The Human Equation, but really the Ayreon album that was the most important was "Into The Electric Castle", since it was the album that put the project on the map and really kicked off the whole "Metal Opera" genre. It would leave room for someone else to get mentioned who is probably worthy.

While I don't mind if a band has multiple entries in the list if they add significant contributions to the genre, as he points out. But, some of it is a little too much in that direction.

Edit: It is a good list. I just think there are ways it can be refined.

Thanks for the kind words.

That was a fantastic walk down memory lane.

Thank you! That's how I was feeling while writing this article and that's what I feel when I look to it now. It helps me from time to time, to pick up an album and spend some time like I used to do, when I had more free time on my hands.

As for Ayreon, I consider "Into The Electric Castle" a masterpiece, but I'd rather leave it for a future absolute guide to progressive rock,as I consider it more of a prog rock album, rather than metal.

Of course it could be broader, way broader. The tough task was to keep a certain basic idea and strictly to 100 + 10 albums.

Nice list but it's missing too many of the great Opeth discs...

We decided that Opeth (and some other bands like them) were not to be included in the basic idea of this article (the traditional sense of progressive metal), so there are no Opeth albums on the main list.

Yet, no one can deny neither that Opeth have put out some significant and amazing albums nor the fact that they have progressive elements in their music. So, they were included on the +10 bands/albums and we had to choose only one album representative of them, which was "Blackwater Park".

Hope this is a good explanation.

awesome list, ran into this one a while ago and it's one of the best I've seen. Love the article with the musicians, too!