The Aging Thread

life tip: eat paleo, walk in the woods, sleep well, lift rocks and shit; get virtually fucking immortal. never get sick! never get fat! no headaches! no body aches! no nothing!

i know you folks will roll your eyes and snicker smugly at this while stuffing your globular facial area with your 48 oz big gulp supersized donut bacon hamburger helper burrito but no, fuck you, you are wrong and i am right. DEAL. with it.

I'm eating an apple and trail mix, but probably had 20 burgers this month. Double Memphis ftwww :loco:

The older you get, the less of a struggle life becomes. Unless you're a fooq up, by which time at the tender age of 30 you've probably adapted to your lot in life. If you have a stable job, especially one which demands nil effort, all struggle to improves ones lot is replaced with complacency. For those who are going to school and getting uber advanced education at later stage in the game, good on you. When I look around and see people with MBA degrees raking in a cool 30k, while wading in a pool of debt, I shrug, ask myself "what's the point?", and continue to meander on RC while giving fuck all. I wish I didn't hold this sentiment however, but I'm spiritually done, I just want to fn relax.

In terms of friendships, every chum who I felt semi close to 5 years ago has either faded, or is fading off in to the sunset. I was at a buddy's wedding a month back, and friends who I used to hobknob with on a regular basis felt like total strangers. I think this is especially true if you don't have much commonality with the individual, but still get along like thieves.

I'm spiritually done, I just want to fn relax.
this mindset sucks and i don't want to fall into it

even though i can't articulate exactly why right now

I didn't want to fall in to it either bro, but here I am. My moods use to encompass peaks and valleys, now it's one big Great Plain. Just too damn tired to care or give a shit beyond, "What's for dinner?" I honestly find myself happiest when I'm left alone. Solitude is bliss, death to the social butterfly.

city living does that to a man

i need to move out into the woods asap

Paleo diet? I hate hearing that 'fad' diet since it's associated with the fad workout 'crossfit'..just don't eat candy and fatty foods, no need to get ridiculous about it

Paleo diet? I hate hearing that 'fad' diet since it's associated with the fad workout 'crossfit'..just don't eat candy and fatty foods, no need to get ridiculous about it

lol no

when you're in your teens and early 20's you can withstand everything and eat pizza every day and give no fucks, but when you get to 25-30, i feel there's kind of a watershed where you have to decide if you want to make some kind of effort to feel good and stay youngish in body and mind or if you wanna just slowly give up like the majority of folks.

IT CAN BE DONE. there are 70 year olds right now who will kick your ass not only physically but mentally. i believe everyone makes the CHOICE to feel like shit or not.
Don't completely disregard genetics. I've been a gym rat since 32. In essence, 12 years of lifting, cardio and MMA. My diet has been clean and consistent. I've consistently used high quality supplements. Do I look good on the beach? I do. But that doesn't mean shit don't hurt. While I agree proper exercise and diet play a big part in the equation, you can't dismiss genetics.

Aw boo hoo nothing is interesting/fun/cool anymore, and I am filled with a great deal of ennui

^Glad I haven't experienced this yet

Don't completely disregard genetics. I've been a gym rat since 32. In essence, 12 years of lifting, cardio and MMA. My diet has been clean and consistent. I've consistently used high quality supplements. Do I look good on the beach? I do. But that doesn't mean shit don't hurt. While I agree proper exercise and diet play a big part in the equation, you can't dismiss genetics.

well, with all due respect, and without knowing anything about your routines, i don't think gym workouts are actually necessarily good for your health. some of it consists of very unnatural movements that will break down the body over time. now, you already know this of course, and i don't mean to sound condescending, but i sense we may not actually be talking about the same things when we're talking about health, so maybe i should explain.

imo: the kind of things people do to look good on the beach are definitely good for exactly that, but are not necessarily conducive to health. getting ripped and getting healthy are entirely different paths, that happen to intersect at some, but far from all, points

basically my idea of healthy is: look at what our bodies were probably meant to do from an evolutionary standpoint, and try to mimic that as closely as possible. this goes for every aspect of life: food, sleep, exercise etc. we were not meant to use machines in gyms or lift dumbbells, we were meant to walk around in the forest, run a bit, carry shit around, climb trees, etc.

be active, but don't be a gym rat

Do you even lift bro?

lift what? you'll have to be more specific

i'll lift things but i won't lift various pieces of scrap iron at a sweaty-ass gym for THREE SETS OF THIRTY REPS NO MORE NO LESS for no particular reason other than "but that's how you get strong bro"

edit: disclaimer: i'm not actually strong atm and i do not necessarily practice what i preach at all times, and as usual i'm being more inflammatory than necessary to get points across

well, with all due respect, and without knowing anything about your routines, i don't think gym workouts are actually necessarily good for your health.
Well, that depends on how you measure, "good for your health". Is lifting heavy hard on your joints? Yes. However, there are supplements you can add to offset some of this. Is it good for your muscles, mental wellness, cardio, self-confidence, etc.? I would say it is.

some of it consists of very unnatural movements that will break down the body over time. now, you already know this of course, and i don't mean to sound condescending, but i sense we may not actually be talking about the same things when we're talking about health, so maybe i should explain.
I completely understand what you're saying, and I agree. People (often taught to do so by the idiot trainers who work in most gyms) do very stupid things. That said, there are plenty of tried and true movements, that don't run counter to the body's natural tendencies.

imo: the kind of things people do to look good on the beach are definitely good for exactly that, but are not necessarily conducive to health. getting ripped and getting healthy are entirely different paths, that happen to intersect at some, but far from all, points
Being healthy requires exercise (see below). Exercise typically means growing your muscle mass (to varying degrees) and reducing your body fat. Both of these factors intersect with looking good on the beach. Mind you, I'm not talking about looking good in the way some roid freak "looks good".

basically my idea of healthy is: look at what our bodies were probably meant to do from an evolutionary standpoint, and try to mimic that as closely as possible. this goes for every aspect of life: food, sleep, exercise etc. we were not meant to use machines in gyms or lift dumbbells, we were meant to walk around in the forest, run a bit, carry shit around, climb trees, etc.
In theory, this is wonderful. In reality, it's not practical. By evolutionarily speaking, I'll assume we're talking about the way we use to live, before modern technology became so prevalent. From that perspective, I'll assume you mean hunting, gathering, farming, etc. We once did these things from sunrise to sunset. However, we do almost none of these things in daily life. And even if we do, we don't spend anywhere near the time we did when we were evolving.

be active, but don't be a gym rat
One of the fundamental precepts I've always subscribed to, with regard to exercise, is "good, better, best". It's good to be active. It's better to exercise. It's best to train. So, it's great that you're active, walk around in the forest, and climb the occasional tree. It's certainly better than sitting here arguing with me about which version of Queensryche sucks least. :heh: That said, are the activities you're doing making up for the things that our bodies were meant to do? I would argue that you're not even coming close. Thinking of it this way... if we once spent 12 hours a day doing moderate level work, are you more likely to achieve those benefits by doing an hour's worth of easy work (walking through the forest) or with an hour of intense work (lifting weights)? I would argue the answer is the latter.

2q8sgus.jpg

This pic was taken 3 months ago. I've been a gym rat for a long time and never touched a steroid or pro-hormone either. I wanted to add to the argument over excessive weightlifting and it's benefits on your overall health. Both times I've planned on doing natural bodybuilding pro qualifiers, I suffered serious injuries. The first time, a few years ago, to my lower back. Now, just a couple months ago I got a hernia most likely from weightlifting. Do I think my heart health has improved from excessive bulking periods and eating too much food? Hell no. I wanted to look good and I genuinely feel as though my overall health has suffered because of it. I wouldn't take it back, as I love my time in the gym, but the fact remains that someone who LOOKS in shape, isn't necessarily in shape. On top of this, I think my muscles aren't really applicable to most purposes in life other than lifting weights in very specific motions.

but the fact remains that someone who LOOKS in shape, isn't necessarily in shape.
quite

also "in shape" is one of those real iffy terms to use because it basically means nothing, or means different things to different people

In theory, this is wonderful. In reality, it's not practical. By evolutionarily speaking, I'll assume we're talking about the way we use to live, before modern technology became so prevalent. From that perspective, I'll assume you mean hunting, gathering, farming, etc. We once did these things from sunrise to sunset. However, we do almost none of these things in daily life. And even if we do, we don't spend anywhere near the time we did when we were evolving.
i try in to care as little as possible about people who say things "aren't practical"

there are shades of gray here, it's not all or nothing -- i don't spend all day in the woods gathering berries and running from bears but i do my best to try to approximate some of those activities within a modern framework, because i believe that living a life as in tune with our ancient genetics as possible is conducive to health and happiness. just because you can't ACHIEVE something 100% doesn't mean you shouldn't ASPIRE to it.

One of the fundamental precepts I've always subscribed to, with regard to exercise, is "good, better, best". It's good to be active. It's better to exercise. It's best to train. So, it's great that you're active, walk around in the forest, and climb the occasional tree. It's certainly better than sitting here arguing with me about which version of Queensryche sucks least. :heh: That said, are the activities you're doing making up for the things that our bodies were meant to do? I would argue that you're not even coming close. Thinking of it this way... if we once spent 12 hours a day doing moderate level work, are you more likely to achieve those benefits by doing an hour's worth of easy work (walking through the forest) or with an hour of intense work (lifting weights)? I would argue the answer is the latter.
well

i don't necessarily think it's "best" to train in the sense that you're talking about -- weight lifting, etc. not if what you want to achieve is optimal health. i couldn't give two shits about looking like a manowar cover, tbh.

i do think short bursts of intense work are great and useful and a part of what you would imagine would be our natural movements (we're obviously made for sometimes hauling heavy shit to and fro, for instance)

also: comparing an hour of easy work to an hour of hard work is unfair imo

imo do both but probably less of the gym stuff and more of the walking and climbing and running

also, geoff tate is a right cunt.

just because you can't ACHIEVE something 100% doesn't mean you shouldn't ASPIRE to it.
Aspirations are wonderful, if they're actually achievable.

i couldn't give two shits about looking like a manowar cover, tbh.
As you said, there are shades of grey. The time spent in the gym has a lot more to do with all of the end results. For me, the gym brings stress relief. Not only through the act of physical exertion, but through the clearing of the mind that comes with it. It's hard to think about all the bullshit that surrounds your life, when you're concentrating on preventing a significant amount of weight from crushing your skull. But I also think you realize a substantial gain in self image and all the positives that come with that. Whenever someone tells me they don't care what others think, I feel as if they're either trying to convince me or themselves. Granted, there are those who can free themselves from it. And if they can, that's awesome. But I think caring what others think is just part of the human condition.

also: comparing an hour of easy work to an hour of hard work is unfair imo
But that's ultimately what we're comparing. My point was, you can't approximate 12 hours of moderate work (the way we use to live) with an hour of light work (walking in the woods). But you can come closer with an hour of intense work (weights). And that's why I'm comparing an hour of lifting favorably to an hour of walking.

also, geoff tate is a right cunt.
I agree. But he's also the voice of Queensryche. :loco:

Stay somewhat active, don't eat cartoon food, be creative, and commune with nature.

That makes my mind and body healthy, and everything feeds unto itself in a lot of ways.

I hate the gym, so instead I walk and do a ridiculous looking weight-free workout routine. Probably 4 to 5 times a week.

I don't get out to Joshua Tree or them thar hills but once a month (or less), but I know when it's time to go.

If I'm not playing music with others, or writing, shit gets all fouled up in my stupid head. That has to happen constantly.

Shitty food can suck it. Soda is stupid, fast food is the devil, and the less processed crap I eat the better. Still love alcohol though...

Stay somewhat active, don't eat cartoon food, be creative, and commune with nature.

That makes my mind and body healthy, and everything feeds unto itself in a lot of ways.

I hate the gym, so instead I walk and do a ridiculous looking weight-free workout routine.

If I'm not playing music with others, or writing, shit gets all fouled up in my stupid head. That has to happen constantly.

Shitty food can suck it. Soda is stupid, fast food is the devil, and the less processed crap I eat the better. Still love alcohol though...

agree with all of this especially the last sentence

As you said, there are shades of grey. The time spent in the gym has a lot more to do with all of the end results. For me, the gym brings stress relief. Not only through the act of physical exertion, but through the clearing of the mind that comes with it. It's hard to think about all the bullshit that surrounds your life, when you're concentrating on preventing a significant amount of weight from crushing your skull. But I also think you realize a substantial gain in self image and all the positives that come with that. Whenever someone tells me they don't care what others think, I feel as if they're either trying to convince me or themselves. Granted, there are those who can free themselves from it. And if they can, that's awesome. But I think caring what others think is just part of the human condition.
i never said i don't care how i look, i just said i don't necessarily want big ol honkin biceps

also, yeah, i understand the stress relief and clearing of head bit. a walk in nature does that for me tbh

and i do work out, but like nadatar i do a weight-free thing consisting of pull-ups/chin-ups, squats, push-ups and so forth blah blah

And that's why I'm comparing an hour of lifting favorably to an hour of walking.

well okay but that's a very, very apples & oranges situation imo

they aren't even remotely the same

lift what? you'll have to be more specific

i'll lift things but i won't lift various pieces of scrap iron at a sweaty-ass gym for THREE SETS OF THIRTY REPS NO MORE NO LESS for no particular reason other than "but that's how you get strong bro"

edit: disclaimer: i'm not actually strong atm and i do not necessarily practice what i preach at all times, and as usual i'm being more inflammatory than necessary to get points across

Guess that joke hasn't made it to Sweden yet :lol: