The Amazing Spider-Man

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
Just got back from seeing this. As a huge Spidey fan, I have to say it blows the Raimi movies away. Much closer to the 90's version I grew up with as opposed to Raimi's 1960s Parker in a modern New York... those movies were really odd, like an alternate universe or something. The acting was great, Peter wasn't overbearingly dorky (yet they managed to show how brilliant he is very well), and the action and swinging was fantastic.

It started out kinda bad, I didn't like how the beginning sort of rushed through everything, but it made up for it in heaps later on. It got quite good, and I think it's better than Raimi's 1 and 3, and I'd put it on equal footing with 2. Garfield managed to pull off a great Peter, even though he does do some weird motions throughout the movie.

It started out kinda bad, I didn't like how the beginning sort of rushed through everything, but it made up for it in heaps later on. It got quite good, and I think it's better than Raimi's 1 and 3, and I'd put it on equal footing with 2. Garfield managed to pull off a great Peter, even though he does do some weird motions throughout the movie.

Yeah I thought he was far more likable as Peter than Tobey was. I think they kinda rushed the beginning because they kind of assumed at this point that everyone knows Spider-Man's story

Yeah I thought he was far more likable as Peter than Tobey was. I think they kinda rushed the beginning because they kind of assumed at this point that everyone knows Spider-Man's story

Well, that's not the part I'm talking about. The very beginning with his parents felt almost skimmed through, and the school parts felt very slapdash too. Another complaint, was that May seemed too young. I'm used to the old, wrinkly, gray-haired Aunt May, not the middle-aged black haired one. That's just off. The guy who was Ben did a great job, just like the other Ben did.

I was hoping this was about this spiderman:

4370150_700b_v1.jpg

Well, that's not the part I'm talking about. The very beginning with his parents felt almost skimmed through, and the school parts felt very slapdash too. Another complaint, was that May seemed too young. I'm used to the old, wrinkly, gray-haired Aunt May, not the middle-aged black haired one. That's just off. The guy who was Ben did a great job, just like the other Ben did.

Well if Peter was supposed to be 17 in the movie, I don't think it's unreasonable for a woman Sally Field's age (just looked it up, she's 65) to be his aunt. Also, Uncle Ben was Martin Sheen! I agree that his real parents were kinda glossed over, although they are mentioned again in the post credits scene

Hollyweird really needs to hire some writers. This constant barrage of superhero horse crap is nauseating. How many times do we make Spiderman, then re-make and re-make... Gone are the days of real dialogue and substance.

I will not be watching Spiderman or any other CGI laden bromidic twaddle.

Hollyweird really needs to hire some writers. This constant barrage of superhero horse crap is nauseating. How many times do we make Spiderman, then re-make and re-make... Gone are the days of real dialogue and substance.

I will not be watching Spiderman or any other CGI laden bromidic twaddle.

Normally I would agree with you, but did you see Spider-Man 3? It was absolute horseshit. It shit all over the character. Even SM1 and 2 weren't that good. If Sam Raimi didn't turn Parker into an emo prick and kill off nearly ALL of his villains in the movies, maybe the series would have somewhere to go without a reboot. For example, before they decided to reboot and got rid of Raimi, it was rumored that Anne Hathaway was going to be a female Vulture for SM4 ...

http://screenrant.com/spider-man-4-...h-vulture-anne-hathaway-vulturess-kofi-36929/

never happened in the comics and it would have been abysmal, just like the Raimi version of Venom. As it stands, this was really the only way to keep the franchise going... and if you think they'll ever stop releasing Spidey or Batman movies you're out of your mind, they're a license to print money.

Glad to read that!
From previous discussions I took that I can value your opinion on this, since you seem tot hink pretty much the same as me on the topic.
Looking forward to watch it!

One thing I'd like to know tho:
I've seen some pics and a toy in a shop of lizzard, and it looked more like a frog-man than the beast seen in the comics (also those in the 90's was more lizzard than human).
Was that final, or does lizzard look as I expect it to look like?
Couldn't stand another villain raping as they did with venom

Glad to read that!
From previous discussions I took that I can value your opinion on this, since you seem tot hink pretty much the same as me on the topic.

I've seen some pics and a toy in a shop of lizzard, and it looked more like a frog-man than the beast seen in the comics (also those in the 90's was more lizzard than human).

Yeah, that was my only gripe, is that the Lizard doesn't have the snout like you know from the 90s Spider-Man. He has a slightly more "human" face, but trust me, he's still a hell of a lot better of a villain than Venom was. I'll be writing up a full review for my website probably later today, I'll link to it here.

Just found a pic of him from the movie, this is what he looks like. You get used to it throughout the movie. The effects of him regrowing his arm and stuff was pretty neat

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/amazing-spider-man-lizard.jpg

He did look a bit weird, but it was a much better design than the Goblin or Venom in the Raimi movies. He was a good character too. Outside of his different look, he's still the Lizard, and they didn't shit all over him like they did with Venom.

He did look a bit weird, but it was a much better design than the Goblin or Venom in the Raimi movies. He was a good character too. Outside of his different look, he's still the Lizard, and they didn't shit all over him like they did with Venom.

Agreed, plus (kinda SPOILER!) they didn't kill him! OMG WE CAN MAKE A MOVIE WITHOUT KILLING THE VILLAIN

Just got back from seeing this. As a huge Spidey fan, I have to say it blows the Raimi movies away. Much closer to the 90's version I grew up with as opposed to Raimi's 1960s Parker in a modern New York... those movies were really odd, like an alternate universe or something. The acting was great, Peter wasn't overbearingly dorky (yet they managed to show how brilliant he is very well), and the action and swinging was fantastic.
Raimi is older than you, he made a movie based on the comic from his childhood, not yours, but having said that, i agree with you, this new one was done better than the original trilogy
peter went from having never spoken to gwen to telling her he's spiderman way to quickly, but aside from that, the pacing looks good, are you talking about the "weird motions" that were supposed to be funny or the swinging on metal chains montage???
the only "rushed" part i saw was peter going from never having spoken to gwen to telling her he's spiderman way to fast
his parents disapeared and where they went will be discussed in the next movie, in the comic aunt may is being refered to as being way way older than peter's mom, but i guess the movie decided to make her the same age as peter's mom, which makes sense, she's his aunt, not his grandmother
Well if Peter was supposed to be 17 in the movie, I don't think it's unreasonable for a woman Sally Field's age (just looked it up, she's 65) to be his aunt. Also, Uncle Ben was Martin Sheen! I agree that his real parents were kinda glossed over, although they are mentioned again in the post credits scene
i think the younger aunt may was done for the people that have never read the comic, where they just made may and ben and richard and mary all the same age as each other
Normally I would agree with you, but did you see Spider-Man 3? It was absolute horseshit. It shit all over the character. Even SM1 and 2 weren't that good. If Sam Raimi didn't turn Parker into an emo prick and kill off nearly ALL of his villains in the movies, maybe the series would have somewhere to go without a reboot. For example, before they decided to reboot and got rid of Raimi, it was rumored that Anne Hathaway was going to be a female Vulture for SM4 ...
spiderman 3 was so bad that it made the first 2 look good in comparison, this movie was a re-boot, and honestly i feel like a re-boot was necessary a fourth movie might have been better than the third, but it wouldn't have been as good as this one
http://screenrant.com/spider-man-4-...h-vulture-anne-hathaway-vulturess-kofi-36929/
anne hathaway in a spiderman movie would have sucked, and according to some website (too lazy to find the link, anne really really really wanted to be in a superhero movie, and would have still auditioned for catwoman even if she'd made it into a spiderman movie, apparently she really loves superhero movies or something
never happened in the comics and it would have been abysmal, just like the Raimi version of Venom. As it stands, this was really the only way to keep the franchise going... and if you think they'll ever stop releasing Spidey or Batman movies you're out of your mind, they're a license to print money.spiderman is going to be made into a dozen more movies, it's just a matter of whether or not they will be as good as this one, or as bad as the raimi ones

Glad to read that!

looks better than venom
Yeah, that was my only gripe, is that the Lizard doesn't have the snout like you know from the 90s Spider-Man. He has a slightly more "human" face, but trust me, he's still a hell of a lot better of a villain than Venom was. I'll be writing up a full review for my website probably later today, I'll link to it here.
the flat face pissed me off, i heard "lizard in new spiderman movie" and spend months waiting to see really long lizard snout and instead they made a weird flat face that doesn't look like a frog instead of the gator/croc face we're used to seeing in the comic
Just found a pic of him from the movie, this is what he looks like. You get used to it throughout the movie. The effects of him regrowing his arm and stuff was pretty neat
the lizard below the neck looked awesome though
http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/amazing-spider-man-lizard.jpg
the regrowing his arm looked like a guy's hand wrapped in pudding-filled-saran-wrap
they did lizard really awesome (except the face)
Agreed, plus (kinda SPOILER!) they didn't kill him! OMG WE CAN MAKE A MOVIE WITHOUT KILLING THE VILLAIN
doing a movie without killing the villian!!! woo-hoo!!!

Also, if anyone's interested, here's my review of the Amazing Spider-Man video game for PS3 and Xbox 360. Activision/ Beenox sent me a review copy

http://metalarcade.net/2012/07/the-amazing-spider-man-game-review/
prolly not going to play the game

I, and many others, share your frustration. However, the simple fact of the matter is that, despite our frustration, most of us continue to watch these superhero movies, so the industry has no incentive to create original films. These movies are huge saves for filmmakers because they require much less advertising (because we are already familiar with the characters).

Avatar's success showed how much we crave an original action blockbuster. But why would they risk it? Superhero movies are locks as cashmakers.

How much longer will we be addicted to Superhero movies? When will it wear out? That's when the originality will return.

I also want to send a shot out to the movie industry for not calling their entertainers "artists", unlike other entertainment industries, ahem. It's a business.

Avatar's success showed how much we crave an original action blockbuster.

I would hardly call Avatar "original", but rather an amalgamation or rip off of about 5 other films. Dances With Wolves, Pocahontas, Fern Gully and definitely this book

http://io9.com/5390226/did-james-cameron-rip-off-poul-andersons-novella

and most notably this movie called Delgo- I mean seriously, just look at the comparisons here.

http://movieline.com/2009/08/20/the-7-eeriest-parallels-between-avatar-and-delgo/

Avatar was pretty cool at the time, but it was hardly original.