The anatomy of the guitar and other terms I don't understand.

Kushantaiidan

SPASIBA AX.
Okay, when I here peaple talking about sweeps and arches and their pedals using weird terminology that I don't understand, it is frustrating.

So would anyone be able to explain these terms, and the anatomy of a guitar, and what the names of various playing techniques mean exactly?

I posted a picture of my guitar, because I don't even know what it is, or what the holes in it are called. And when it comes to effects pedals and amps etc, whenever people talk about them, it sounds like a different language to me.

So does anyone want to explain?

attached is a pic og my guitar.

oh.. cvan't duplicate images.

HOW FUCKING DUMB.. mark, feel free to fix that.

anyway, a different image of mty guitar.

The other image can be found on Kitarin's entertain me thread.

You have already attached this image to a post. Please refrain from uploading duplicate images. If you need to refer to this image it can be found in this thread: Entertain ME!!

GRRR!!.. oh well, no guitar pics for you.

HOW FUCKING DUMB.. mark, feel free to fix that.

I strongly agree we should be able to attach the same file more than once....that has pissed me off more than once. We should start a thread or PM Mark.

Oh, and about the guitar thing I could help you a little but not as much as some of these other guys, for sure. So I'll leave that up to them.:)

Well it is a different language... theres heaps of terms i dont know.. many classical terms and shit, theres so many.
You just learn the ones that are appropriate... the ones that are relevant for you...

in bumblefoot's threads he talks about "arps" or something, i have never heard that before, but i can tell that was he is talking about is the sweep patterns, the shapes you hold with the left hand while you sweep with the right hand.

anyway, i dont have time to go through definitions right now, because most of them are much easier to show someone, rather than trying to explain in words. But i shall try sometime later if theres still undefined terms when i return.

The reason I have duplicate attachments turned off is so we don't have duplicate files stored in the database. We're looking into other ways of storing attachments other than via SQL, so please bear with us :)

Thx
Mark

Originally posted by Kushantaiidan
Okay, when I here peaple talking about sweeps and arches and their pedals using weird terminology that I don't understand, it is frustrating.

So would anyone be able to explain these terms, and the anatomy of a guitar, and what the names of various playing techniques mean exactly?

I posted a picture of my guitar, because I don't even know what it is, or what the holes in it are called. And when it comes to effects pedals and amps etc, whenever people talk about them, it sounds like a different language to me.
Sweep picking: this is a pretty advanced technique used for soloing, you take the pick and sweep it across the strings in one motion, instead of picking out each individual note.. the left hand holds a kinda chord shape and yeh. Thats a basic description anyway.

Arches? I think that was refering to Arch-Top guitars, which are simply a type of guitar. Not a brand, but a style of electric guitar, an old style.

more to come..... maybe you should post specific terms you want to know, since there are so many

Originally posted by YaYoGakk

Sweep picking: this is a pretty advanced technique used for soloing, you take the pick and sweep it across the strings in one motion, instead of picking out each individual note.. the left hand holds a kinda chord shape and yeh. Thats a basic description anyway.

Arches? I think that was refering to Arch-Top guitars, which are simply a type of guitar. Not a brand, but a style of electric guitar, an old style.

more to come..... maybe you should post specific terms you want to know, since there are so many

Yeah, I know those terms, thanks to bumblefoot, and my guitar is an arch guitar.

It's other terms, but of course, right now I can't think of any.

i know.. for example, if I wanted to give a detailed description of my guitar, how would I do it.

Say if I was describing my computer, Pentium 550, 128MB ram, 53GB Harddisks etc etc..

or a car, 2.0 litre 5 speed manual etc.. etc...

for example.

well lets talk guitar hardware then! I attached a picture for reference. Ill try and cover most relevant things and you might know some stuff already, but oh well. If i make mistakes i hope that other people reading this will correct me!

pickups:
You know what the pickups are?
"single coil" or "humbuckers"
You'll notice on the picture that the guitar has 3 pickups, the middle one is a 'single coil' pickup, the two outside pickups have two coils.. these are the 'humbuckers', called so because by having the two coils it can cancel out the hum somehow. The one closest to the neck is commonly referred to as a the 'neck pickup' (a sharper sound is picked up here)... the one closest to the bridge is called the 'bridge pickup' ( a more mellow sound is picked up here) and the middle pickup is just referred to as the 'centre' or 'middle' pickup or anything like that.
So when you're describing you're guitar you'd say how many pickups it has and whether they are humbuckers or single coils. Brand names can be important but most have no idea what brand their pickups are, and i have no idea as well!!

Strings:
Brand name is always mentioned, the other important thing is string guage, which is how thick the strings are! You probably know that one already though.

more later...

Attachments

• guit004.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 62
I know your frustrations. I know a lot of terms in spanish and classical terms that are completly different things. I never say "sweep picking" they are "arpeggios" and its not only on the guitar, sweep picking i also use to describe picking like those country guitar players. When i talk about Leggato ( sp ? )everyone goes huh? but its just using hammer on and pull off, or even both convined with tapping.

And then there is the crap i made up like tapping with your pick and then sliding your pick accross getting a bot tapping and slide sound, i call it pick slide and since no one has ever mentioned something like that to me i do not know if its the right time. Other stuff i do is tap a string with my right hand, to leggatos with my right hand but on higher notes than the tapped fret, and use the right hand to do further pull offs or actually pick the string ( it gets a very low volume string sound but its audible. This is actually a lot of stuff put togheter if you start moving the tapped fret around, it will make the left hand leggato notes go lower and the right hand attack higher...pretty weird but im actually practicing and if i ever get to master stuff like that i will try to get a custom made guitar with a single coil in a extra wide first fret.

Now how do you name all that? i hate guitar terms sometimes...

hardware talk is boring, and really not important,
as long as you know basically what the parts are you can discover meanings as you go.

And here is everything you could want to know about different effects on pedals and amps......
Effects

However, if you necessarily want to give detailed information about your guitar, you usually list:

• The manufacturer and model
  • Whether your guitar is 'bolt on neck' or 'neck-through-body'
  • What kind of tremolo you have
  • How many and what kind of pickups you have (positioning, model, etc.)

Some people are also interested to know what type of wood your guitar's body, neck and fretboard are made of (since they affect the guitar's sound, tone and playability to some degree).

hmm, what did I forget? :)

It's the thing under the pickups.. see pics:

prscuvs1.jpg

Attachments

• floydrose.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 23
whoa, weird pic of the lefty floyd rose. Anyways... the guitar in the pic above looks like a Paul Reed Smith. High-end guitar. flame maple top [the translucent wood grain] in cherry sunburst finish. I prefer an ebony fretboard, some prefer rosewood, some prefer maple. Ebony is a harder wood.. so gives a harder sound... and is quicker for leads and shite. The tone and resonation are harsher... whereas rosewood is "warmer"

I play an ESP Horizon Custom. Made of ash. It's a neckthrough ebony board with a bound neck. The binding you see on guitars sometimes is the "white shit" on the outer edge. IT's made of ivory and costs $$$. I use thomastik-infeld powerbright strings. BADASS brass plated strings.

I've got a custom pickup humbucker in a single-coil space [a la Seymour Duncan hotrails] and a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, soon to be replaced with an active EMG 81. The guitar is a carved top, six-on-a-side headstock...

And I use Jim Dunlop cell picks in X-H series =P

Now you too can rock like me... with fat $$$.

Any q's, ask me.

J

What the hell does Mikael play, i´ve seen the name in some threads but have forgotten.