I admit it -- I don't understand the subgenres!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernTrendkill

Super Normie
Aug 22, 2007
How exactly is As The Palaces Burn by Lamb of God a groove-metal album? That's what wikipedia says, at least. But when I listen to it, it seems pretty definitively thrash. Apparently I don't know what thrash metal and groove metal are.

I think I understand a couple of things... like black metal, death metal (maybe), and doom metal. And I THOUGHT I understood groove metal but I obviously don't. That may go for Thrash as well.

So are there really specific ways for defining the metal subgenres, or is it just a "you know it when you hear it" thing?

How exactly is As The Palaces Burn by Lamb of God a groove-metal album? That's what wikipedia says, at least. But when I listen to it, it seems pretty definitively thrash. Apparently I don't know what thrash metal and groove metal are.

well, dont trust trust wikipedia, because those people may not know what they are talking about. and lamb of god is a hardcore metal band anyways.

I think I understand a couple of things... like black metal, death metal (maybe), and doom metal. And I THOUGHT I understood groove metal but I obviously don't. That may go for Thrash as well.
just keep listening and you will train your ears, thats what i did. dont worry it will come to you.
remember doom= slow, thrash/speed= fast. thats the rule, but you will get use to it.

So are there really specific ways for defining the metal subgenres, or is it just a "you know it when you hear it" thing?
lol, i dint even see this. yes, it is.

To be honest with you, I never really understood what Lamb of God's real genre is, I'm guess it's just metalcore. The vocalist does sound kinda like he's yelling in a metalcore styled voice, maybe the band is a combination of thrash and metalcore?

I don't know what groove metal is either, in fact I never even heard of the genre.

Thrash metal is stuff like Metallica, Megadeth, Metal Church, Slayer, Annialator, Exodus, and so on. Thrash metal songs usually consist of solos and guitar focused metal. Thrash metal is about as rocky sounding as it gets for metal.

If there's any other questions you have for the sub genres of metal just ask us, we'll try to help.

It's kinda like this. For example, you know that black metal has a vocals sound that is the "norm" for Black Metal (Darkthrone and Burzum are good example for the "norm" sound of black metal vocals in metal). If you hear a band that has black metal vocals, then you hint in that it's black metal. Black metal also has a guitar tone that is "normal" for the genre, check out Darkthrone again for a good example of the norm for black metal toned guitars.
For Death metal, you can tell by the growling vocals or by the rougher than normal guitar tone, cause that is the norm. Get it kinda?

It's kinda like this. For example, you know that black metal has a vocals sound that is the "norm" for Black Metal (Darkthrone and Burzum are good example for the "norm" sound of black metal vocals in metal). If you hear a band that has black metal vocals, then you hint in that it's black metal. Black metal also has a guitar tone that is "normal" for the genre, check out Darkthrone again for a good example of the norm for black metal toned guitars

yep.

Just spend some time lurking and shit to discover what subgenres are. This thread is destined to become shitty, trust me. Just hang around here and you'll get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.