"metalcore as a subgenre destroys the other subgenres"

blakscorpion21 said:
i looked up some morbid angel lyrics and they seem to be about the same thing. darkness, suffering, evil. nothing a scitophrenic couldnt write up in a couple minutes.

That's one band, of course all their lyrics are going to be similar, I was speaking of the whole genre of Metalcore. Morbid Angels lyrics are mostly about Darkness, suffering and Evil but there is meaning behind the lyrics that is not so up-front.

BTW, most schizophrenics are extremely smart, I'd be interested in reading their lyrics.

blakscorpion21 said:
i have heard many death metal bands and have yet to be impressed by any. cradle of filth is the only one i like mainly b/c of nemphetamine. can you reccomend any that are good, that a metalcore fan would like?
I'm curious as to what "death metal" bands you "listened" to. Cradle of Filth is most deffinately not death metal and Bleeding Through is FAR from... metal.

Start more traditional first (I mean with what you're listening to now, don't try to jump to Morbid Angel, it probably won't work). Maybe you should listen to someone like Dark Tranquiltity, Death, and Opeth then work you're way from there.
But please for the love of all things that are holy (or lack there-of) quit listening to metalcore :ill:

Just my opinion, but i personally don't like "metalcore" or anything -"core" for that matter. But i think its pointless to criticize others' taste in music.

Idunnonuten said:
I'm curious as to what "death metal" bands you "listened" to. Cradle of Filth is most deffinately not death metal and Bleeding Through is FAR from... metal.

Start more traditional first (I mean with what you're listening to now, don't try to jump to Morbid Angel, it probably won't work). Maybe you should listen to someone like Dark Tranquiltity, Death, and Opeth then work you're way from there.
But please for the love of all things that are holy (or lack there-of) quit listening to metalcore :ill:

so the music is so bad u have to ease urself into it?:D

I think it is hilarious that a lot of you write off this genre because you heard Lamb of God, Bleeding Through, and As I Lay Dying and since they are probally the weakest examples in the genre, download some songs from these bands..you will end up eating your words.

Despised Icon
Through the Eyes of the Dead
Ion Dissonance
Into the Moat
Psyopus
Ed Gein
The Number Twelve Looks Like You

Embers Astray said:
I think it is hilarious that a lot of you write off this genre because you heard Lamb of God, Bleeding Through, and As I Lay Dying and since they are probally the weakest examples in the genre, download some songs from these bands..you will end up eating your words.

Despised Icon
Through the Eyes of the Dead
Ion Dissonance
Into the Moat
Psyopus
Ed Gein
The Number Twelve Looks Like You

I've listened to all of those, not impressed. Musicianship is better then "mainstream" Metalcore and some of the arrangements are alright but I'm not big on the playing styles or the "metalcore melodicism".

I have friends that for some reason love metal-core. I've heard so much of it that I fucking hate it! yes, HATE!
Breakdown, slayerriff, breakdown, slayerriff, calm I hate my life part, breakdown....

Vital Remains said:
i accidentally wasted my money on an atreyu cd. FUCK FUCK FUCK. They arent even technical in the least bit

I hope you sold it to some fifteen year old eyeliner wearing kid in an AFI shirt outside of Hot Topic for 15-18 dollars. He would be all "YES I SAVED AT LEAST 5 DOLLAS MORE THAN I WOULDZ AT HAWT TAWPIK. NOW I CAN BUY MORE KEWL STICKAZ FWAR MY SKATE BWAD"

I mean, at least get something out of it.

Perdition's Light said:
I hope you sold it to some fifteen year old eyeliner wearing kid in an AFI shirt outside of Hot Topic for 15-18 dollars. He would be all "YES I SAVED AT LEAST 5 DOLLAS MORE THAN I WOULDZ AT HAWT TAWPIK. NOW I CAN BUY MORE KEWL STICKAZ FWAR MY SKATE BWAD"

I mean, at least get something out of it.

cmon afi and atreyu are not a good comparison. i like atreyu and i dont wear eyeliner or like afi or shop at hot topic or skateboard.

I don't care for metalcore, so correct me if I am wrong but doesn't metalcore have some screamed vocals blended with softer clean vocals, an emo-influenced image and lyrics. Stuff like Atreyu, Killswitch Engage, Dillinger Escape Plan and other shite like that?

i could see wgere you could call atreyu semi-emo but killswitch is not emo by any stretch of the imagination. they neither look or have emo-ish lyrics. atreyu does sing about love and shit though but i still think theyre an ok band. all metalcore doesn have clean singing, look at lamb of god, ive never heatrd them sing. same with unearth, another metalcore band i like. some metalcore though has singing like maybe during the chorus but even that is still 90% scream.

Z He Lives said:
FIRST! I Didn`t say that. I would never say that. I could never even begin to start the thought process that would bring that about.

BUT, I read this on another board, and I couldn`t even think about what he is saying...

"Once again, metalcore as a subgenre destroys the other subgenres as in what is being put out right now. It's not even close. I'm still not hearing anything. Atleast Dead1 put some effort into it with Death Metal.

Oh yeah, the latest Shadows Fall destroys anything Motorhead has put out in 20 years. How much longer can Lemmy ride Ace of Spades?

You people have no point of view because:

A. I'm right
B. You don't know anything about metal to provide an arguement
C. Just keep listening to Metallica.. MASTER!! MASTER!!!"

(Breaks keyboard over knee, eats speakers)

You say metalcore is better than metal?...........................bullshit

Speaking of metalcore...

What about Black Dahlia Murder? I keep seeing others refer to them as melodic death...? They sound like metalcore in my opinion.

blakscorpion21 said:
...but killswitch is not emo by any stretch of the imagination. they neither look or have emo-ish lyrics...

"Seek me, call me
I'll be waiting

This distance, this dissolution
I cling to memories while falling
Sleep brings release, and the hope of a new day
Waking the misery of being without you

Surrender, I give in
Another moment is another eternity

(Seek me) For comfort, (Call me) For solace
(I'll be waiting) For the end of my broken heart
(Seek me) Completion, (Call me) I'll be waiting

You know me, you know me all too well
My only desire - to bridge our division

In sorrow I speak your name
And my voice mirrors my torment

Am I breathing?
My strength fails me
Your picture, a bitter memory

For comfort, for solace
(I'll be waiting) For the end of my broken heart"

Mix that with the whiny sounding clean vocals and there ya go. Killswitch Engage was one of those gateway bands for me along with newer In Flames, Atreyu, Shadows Fall, etc. but I never listened to them for very long. I have to admit to, I do listen to some emo type bands (My Chemical Romance, Thrice, Blindside, even still some Atreyu) sometimes when I'm just sitting around and looking to broaden what I'm listening to at the time but I still call them as I see them and wouldn't support any of these bands if it came down to it.

You do know that Hardcore is just an "extreme emo" genre, right?

ProjectedBlack said:
"Seek me, call me
I'll be waiting

This distance, this dissolution
I cling to memories while falling
Sleep brings release, and the hope of a new day
Waking the misery of being without you

Surrender, I give in
Another moment is another eternity

You know me, you know me all too well
My only desire - to bridge our division

In sorrow I speak your name
And my voice mirrors my torment

Am I breathing?
My strength fails me
Your picture, a bitter memory

For comfort, for solace
(I'll be waiting) For the end of my broken heart"

Mix that with the whiny sounding clean vocals and there ya go. Killswitch Engage was one of those gateway bands for me along with newer In Flames, Atreyu, Shadows Fall, etc. but I never listened to them for very long. I have to admit to, I do listen to some emo type bands (My Chemical Romance, Thrice, Blindside, even still some Atreyu) sometimes when I'm just sitting around and looking to broaden what I'm listening to at the time but I still call them as I see them and wouldn't support any of these bands if it came down to it.

You do know that Hardcore is just an "extreme emo" genre, right?

thats not fair, that is one of their ballads. just because a song is not about death and evil doesnt mean it is emo inspired.