Most important and influential 90s albums upon their respective subgenres

This is amazing to me. I think the only thing similar we've seen in the US is Metallica.

Well, as you might know (if you dig Entombed that is) they even played with the royal Swedish ballet once. Anyways, they are definitely a big reason as to why bands like Hammerfall and In Flames immediately reach top 3 on the national charts with every new album or why Iron Maiden and Metallica are broadcasted live on national TV here.

Well, as you might know (if you dig Entombed that is) they even played with the royal Swedish ballet once. Anyways, they are definitely a big reason as to why bands like Hammerfall and In Flames immediately reach top 3 on the national charts with every new album or why Iron Maiden and Metallica are broadcasted live on national TV here.

I have the Entombed ballet CD. ;) and speaking of Entombed, Wolverine Blues is another choice for influential albums but the death-n-roll scene wasn't ever that huge to begin with. However, Entombed did take death metal down a totally different path on that album.

Desert dwelling punk rockers, though I'm probably wrong about that.:D
Never got much into them, dug Sleep though. It just seemed like a whole new banch of the doom tree (band name there) coming out of Saint Vitus. That whole desert scene, southern doom, and whatever the hell Buzz-oven were doing just did not do much for me. Buzzoven was more a moment in time thing for me.
Which that is another band, Buzzov'en; think they certainly had a bit of influencial on their swcene and bands that would come behind them. Here in AMERICA that is (see Matt I said AMERICA this time) HAHA

Sleep and Saint Vitus sound nothing like Kyuss or dirt rock. Kyuss were leading the charge for Fu Manchu, Lowrider, Nebula and pretty much most stuff on Man's Ruin Records and Meteor City Records. Then eventually turning their heads towards the pop direction and some of them forming Queens Of The Stone Age.

I have the Entombed ballet CD. ;) and speaking of Entombed, Wolverine Blues is another choice for influential albums but the death-n-roll scene wasn't ever that huge to begin with. However, Entombed did take death metal down a totally different path on that album.

Death Metal was absolutely massive here in Sweden from the release of Left Hand Path and up until 1993-1994. When Wolverine Blues came out every 12 year old girl suddenly had Entombed as their favorite band, so the death n' roll took it up another notch. When all the other DM bands tried taking the same route it all died out rather quickly. Entombed have always kept their momentum here though.

Death Metal was absolutely massive here in Sweden from the release of Left Hand Path and up until 1993-1994. When Wolverine Blues came out every 12 year old girl suddenly had Entombed as their favorite band, so the death n' roll took it up another notch. When all the other DM bands tried taking the same route it all died out rather quickly. Entombed have always kept their momentum here though.

This is why Sweden is better than us.

A buddy of mine, around 1995/1996, loaned me "Imaginations From The Other Side" and "Burnt Offerings"...both were my introductions to those bands. I had never heard, nor heard of, them prior to that.

Not that this fact means anything.... :)

It's funny, but when I got back into metal a friend (Jeremy, actually) gave me a copy of Dark Saga and Nightfall in Middle Earth. I fell in love with BG instantly, but the IE album did absolutely nothing for me. I had to make myself try them later.

I still think Dark Saga is weaker than Burnt Offerings.

I really like Dark Saga...but then I'm very partial to straightforward, melodic song structures...lots of vocal harmonies and good melodies on that album.

My favorite IE is SWTWC, though...that album rules.

I don't really care for the pre-Barlow albums too much....

Sleep and Saint Vitus sound nothing like Kyuss or dirt rock. Kyuss were leading the charge for Fu Manchu, Lowrider, Nebula and pretty much most stuff on Man's Ruin Records and Meteor City Records. Then eventually turning their heads towards the pop direction and some of them forming Queens Of The Stone Age.

REally we are going to do this now talking about dirt doom bands? Ok I'll play, of course I knowing nothing about that scene either.
My only comparison to Sleep and Saint Vitus was because must people into that desert stuff that was really SST influenced (you can agrrue with that too) are always Sleep and Saint Vitus fans. And Sleep are actually quite closely related to that scene.