Most important and influential 90s albums upon their respective subgenres

J. Golden

Heaven and Hell Records
Oct 12, 2009
here
www.heavenandhellrecords.com
When I saw Matt this past weekend we were talking about new threads and well I had this one planned so here goes.
Branching off of Matt’s 90s metal thread I began thinking about album and bands that were very important and influential to their respective subgenres. So the first two I came up with were Dream Theater – Images and Words and Cathedral – Forrest of Equilibrium.
I first heard DT on a Concrete Music sampler that ‘Pull Me Under’ was on and was just floored by this band. It reminded me somewhat of Queensryche and Fates Warning but not in that same way Hittman or Oliver Magnum did. That tape was played so much that it finally snapped. My punk rock girlfriend at the time was so happy when it did, she hated that kind of stuff. I then picked up the album and was completely blown away. Then I saw the video on MTV and well it was certainly a square peg in those days. Steve Isaac tried to get into catch on but really didn’t, or so we thought. Who would have thought it would become such a cornerstone.

It was also something odd within what I was mostly listening to in 1992-stuff like Sub-humans, Agnostic Front, and The Exploited. I’m sure I was the only guy wearing a Dream Theater shirt at a 7 Seconds show.
Still that album would open the doors for many progressive metal bands to follow. And where would Peter Morticelli be if Dream Theater never put out that album? After that album progressive metal bands came out of nowhere is if they were being manufactured (Magna Carter Records).
Sure DT is more boring now than watching snails race, but you can’t deny those first three albums and how ‘Images’ changed everything. I personally believe Fates Warning and to a lesser degree Queensryche owe some props to that album.

On to what is STILL one of the heaviest and best doom metal albums of all time Cathedral – Forrest of Equilibrium. I remember reading small mentions that the former singer of Napalm Death was starting a new band but straying away from the punkish fused grindcore and going into doomy realms. At the time doom was still not very well defined, sure there was Candlemass and Trouble and I can think of some others but Cathedral opened the door wider than ever before. The debut seemed to go somewhat unnoticed it seemed but by the time of the follow up EP ‘Soul Sacrifice’ it was on. Lee and the boys hit the bong, added in some groove that seemed to capture some major attention. The MTV videos helped and every stoner was jumping on the “disco super nova”
It all started with ‘Forrest’ and that album still reigns as one of the most important doom albums of all time.

Another important band was Fear Factory. The band balanced a line between industrial and death metal, but to their credit they helped to keep metal alive through the 1990s in the U.S. Regardless if you like them or not you can’t deny their impact.

My first exposure to the band I was at 16, basically a punk leaving in my car. One day at Chad Davis’(Hour of 13) house. He was jamming a lot to one of the first two demos, I don’t remember which. Well that year I tried to order the album and had a hard time finding it, well it was not released until the following year. When I finally got it I thought it was so brutal but not death metal. Being a fan of Skinny Puppy and Ministry and thrash and death metal Fear Factory were just the perfect blend.
I saw the band a few times after that on some small tours after that. I would have never thought they would have taken off like they did. Once they were gone I just thought they did what they were meant to do and certainly left their mark on metal, similar to what Faith No More had done.
I feel this one certainly has to be mentioned has well. It seemed I had been waiting so long for something to come out of Sanctuary. I read about Warrel Dane forming a new band but it seemed like I was reading about it for so long that it was not ever going to happen. Then it did. I was living in Michigan at the time where I went out to a small indie record store and ordered the debut Nevermore. When I returned home I had no idea what to expect, but when that opening kicked in it really KICKED in. Still to this day no album has ever had the effect of that opening. It was the third Sanctuary album but different, modern, but like nothing else at the time. After a few follow ups Nevermore would have somewhat created a new sound of progressive power metal and revived power metal in the U.S.

This topic also made me think of bands from the 90s that did not get the credit they deserved or at least not then; the two that immediately come to mind are Cynic and Skyclad.
I first heard Cynic on demo back in 1989 from my cousin in Florida, he turn me on to several things like Believer and earlier Pestilence. I spend a week at his house back then and he introduced me to so much death metal. Still I was a little more impressed by his neighbor who owned every album by every hair and cock rock band imaginable. But I did manage to return home with a lot of death metal, though it still was not that happening for me. I would forget about Cynic until ‘The Breed Beyond’ compilation would come out and a friend would have it. Later that year the ‘Focus’ album was released and seemed to fall on deaf ears. Well some of the death metal scene got into to it, seems they were the only ones hip to it. For those of us in the know we knew how amazing it was, yet none of us knew what to make of it.

The album eventually became extremely difficult to find but was eventually re-issued one all the progressive metal dorks discovered it like a decade after from which it was originally released. I believe the debut did not have any impact in the scene in the early days because progressive metal fans are a very trendy group and I believe they were afraid of something associated with death metal so it was just dismissed. Now it can be seen the impact and influence Cynic has had, one could argue the band has even kind of started its own branch of progressive metal.

Then there is the mighty Skyclad. No one can match the greatness of this band. They were always and still are one of a kind. Folk metal before there was “folk metal” or pagan metal”. After the term became a buzz word Skyclad still did not get their just dues.
I was a fan of the first two Sabbat albums when the came out. Somehow I missed the third one when it came out, but hey a key element was missing from the band at that point anyway. When the first Skyclad ‘Wayward Sons of Mother Earth” was released in 1991 it was like the proper third Sabbat album. Through the next couple of Skyclad releases you could hear the slow evolution into what the band would become known for, but it was ‘Prince of the Poverty Line’ where Skyclad had truly come into their own.
This band should be raved about by fans of many subgenres, certainly those in the folky circles.

Ok I’ll give someone else a go now.

Last edited by a moderator:
CANNIBAL CORPSE - Tomb Of The Mutilated

Here is one just off the top of my head. They really hit the death metal nail on the head with this album. The riffs, the drums, the vocals, the lyrics it's all there. Plus it didn't hurt being featured in ACE VENTURA either (i remember nearly pissing myself in theater when they came on the screen, it was so unexpected). Say what you want about them, but Cannibal Corpse influenced EVERY death metal band on the planet.

BLIND GUARDIAN - Tales From From The Twlight World + Somewhere Far Beyond

Germany really brought the power metal to the forefront and while Helloween decided to flounder away what they built, Blind Guardian stepped it up starting as early as 1989's Follow The Blind really getting the ball rolling. However, Tales From The Twilight World brought even better results, but they slammed it home with Somewhere Far Beyond. They had the thrash riffs with big melodic choruses built on lyrics based in fantasy and folklore. It was Dio on steroids.

Ah, the 90's. Not my favorite time period for music but I remember all the bands posted above very well. I actually still listen to Nevermore, Cathedral, Dream Theater and Blind Guardian so that speaks volumes. Anyway, my addition to thread would have to be Clutch. I saw them live around '93-'94 and they blew me away. After that, picked up the ep and Transnational and really liked both. But everything was taken up a notch when the self titled album came out in '95. I consider the album a milestone of the 90's. I've seen them probably 25 times now but this is still my favorite era of the band.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K-FES3tElg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K-FES3tElg[/ame]

So we finally got a player.
Clutch, good call. Last night I was listening to a sampler from the last issue of classic Rock that had a band on there that was so Clutch sounding that I thought it was a cover band. And speaking of I have actually noticed Clutch tribute bands around. Does seem strange that it has been so long since they popped up, guess a couple of decades now. I would have never thought they would have gotten so big looking back at the dive bars I saw them in.
Hell I would dare say instead of being influential on their respective genre, they basically have started their own.

DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN - Under The Running Board (EP) + Calculating Infinity

When people talk about "metalcore" these days it's pretty frowned upon (it wasn't always a bad thing), but back in 1999 a NJ band called DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN came along and infused mathematics and chaos into a new genre and created a sound all their own.

Here is a live video from Hellfest NY from first EP (but with later line-up) - just wait for the 1:00 minute mark to see what this band brought to the table. Utter mayhem.

1999's Calculating Infinity - album stream

I'm not into DEP at all, but I did see them live a few years ago and it was pretty insane. Like giant robots destroying Tokyo...with math.

I really wish the main year they played Hellfest was captured on film when I saw them. I mean they set their drum set on fire, and wrecked everything in sight. There is also urban myth that the sound crew claimed their broke their PA and made them pay for it, and when they paid for it the band proceeded to load it up in their trailer and took it with them. Sound crew was like "hey, wait a minute" but DEP's response was "well if we broke it, paid for it, then it's ours." Again just rumors from back in the days, but it's stories like that which have surrounded the band for ages. haha.

BATHORY's "Hammerheart" and "Twilight of the Gods" albums were monumental I think when it comes to influencing the folk metal scene that arose in the late 90's and which continued to flourish post y2k. Skyclad were definitely instrumental in forging the sound as well but for the more epic-laden bands like Moonsorrow, Primordial, Thyrfing and such those two albums were extremely important. Also they are two of my favorite albums of all time :)

BATHORY's "Hammerheart" and "Twilight of the Gods" albums were monumental I think when it comes to influencing the folk metal scene that arose in the late 90's and which continued to flourish post y2k. Skyclad were definitely instrumental in forging the sound as well but for the more epic-laden bands like Moonsorrow, Primordial, Thyrfing and such those two albums were extremely important. Also they are two of my favorite albums of all time :)

I would agrre despite that Bathory started in the 1980s and not 90s. But I suppose it can be argued that that were kind of a different band in the 90s.
There are still two bands that no one has mentioned that I thought would be way obvious.

I guess it doesn't specify bands of 90s.

I would agrre despite that Bathory started in the 1980s and not 90s. But I suppose it can be argued that that were kind of a different band in the 90s.
There are still two bands that no one has mentioned that I thought would be way obvious.

I guess it doesn't specify bands of 90s.

Those two Bathory albums he mentioned are from 1990 and 1991. And most Norwegian folk metal bands cite them as main influences. You are correct it doesn't specify bands of the 90's, but then again if it did Dream Theater would be ineligible. Debut was out when I was in high school in late 80's. Same with BG and CC from my lists.

True. But as you say Bathory went through a massive morphosis between "Blood Fire Death" and "Hammerheart". I really took them as a new band after that. I was mostly thinking about impact.

Two other extremely influential bands would be Darkthrone for black metal and At the Gates for melodic death/metalcore. But again, Darkthrone came out of The 80's ;) But demos don't count, do they? :)

True. But as you say Bathory went through a massive morphosis between "Blood Fire Death" and "Hammerheart". I really took them as a new band after that. I was mostly thinking about impact.

Two other extremely influential bands would be Darkthrone for black metal and At the Gates for melodic death/metalcore. But again, Darkthrone came out of The 80's ;) But demos don't count, do they? :)

At the gates certainly.
I was surprised not to hear the obvious Iced Earth and Cradle of Filth.
Personally I got sick of IE after somthing Wicked, but there is no denying their place in U.S. power metal certainly in a decade when it was virtually dead. And well I have never like Cradle of Filth, always thought of them as the Vanilla Ice of black metal. I do think they helped to bring attention to that subgenre regardless if they had any musical influence on it.

At the gates certainly.
I was surprised not to hear the obvious Iced Earth and Cradle of Filth.
Personally I got sick of IE after somthing Wicked, but there is no denying their place in U.S. power metal certainly in a decade when it was virtually dead. And well I have never like Cradle of Filth, always thought of them as the Vanilla Ice of black metal. I do think they helped to bring attention to that subgenre regardless if they had any musical influence on it.

To me CoF were not terribly influential to the genre of black metal. Sure were they one of the bands that rose to prominence during that time? definitely. That is just me, and Iced Earth might have been influential to US metal, BG and many others were far more influential on Europe and making a huge impact well before Iced Earth really found themselves. That is just my take on history naturally.

Ah yes COF is definitely to blame for the total meltdown of what Darkthrone, Mayhem and their likes had done. I did love their first three albums though But after that they went belly up and the bands they influenced were even worse.

Agreed about IE! But that's an American phenomenon I think. Bands like Helloween, Gamma Ray and their likes were holding the flag high here in Europe throughout the 90's. At least post "Chameleon" and "Sigh No More".

Ah yes COF is definitely to blame for the total meltdown of what Darkthrone, Mayhem and their likes had done. I did love their first three albums though But after that they went belly up and the bands they influenced were even worse.

Agreed about IE! But that's an American phenomenon I think. Bands like Helloween, Gamma Ray and their likes were holding the flag high here in Europe throughout the 90's. At least post "Chameleon" and "Sigh No More".

Mayhem did nothing for me but give me a headache. Now I do have some Farkthrone.
Yes those older bands were still going through the 1990s in Europe but over here U.S. nrad of power metal was virtually dead. Older bands like Sleepy Hollow and Attacker were barely known in the U.S. to begin with and bigger bands like Armored Saint were not getting the attention either. Well there was that brief 'Symbol of Salvation' moment.
I remember getting the first IE album on cassette and just thinking how it seemed like it had been a long time since I had heard a metal band like this. But maybe it had not been that long, I was maybe just distracted with thrash, death, and hardcore stuff around that time.
I must say I never thought IE would hhave gotten has big as they did. From the first album I lost track of them until Dark Saga when I started listening to them again. That only lasted until 'Horro Show' which I really did not care for.

Mayhem did nothing for me but give me a headache. Now I do have some Farkthrone.
Yes those older bands were still going through the 1990s in Europe but over here U.S. nrad of power metal was virtually dead. Older bands like Sleepy Hollow and Attacker were barely known in the U.S. to begin with and bigger bands like Armored Saint were not getting the attention either. Well there was that brief 'Symbol of Salvation' moment.
I remember getting the first IE album on cassette and just thinking how it seemed like it had been a long time since I had heard a metal band like this. But maybe it had not been that long, I was maybe just distracted with thrash, death, and hardcore stuff around that time.
I must say I never thought IE would hhave gotten has big as they did. From the first album I lost track of them until Dark Saga when I started listening to them again. That only lasted until 'Horro Show' which I really did not care for.

See IE only took hold MANY MANY years later when bands like Blind Guardian had set the path to people accepting that style of metal again. As far as power metal dominance, BG were easily influencing everyone under the sun once the 90's hit and then by the time Imaginations came out they were the reigning champs, deservedly so. IE despite writing some good stuff and being big never influenced anything to me.

See IE only took hold MANY MANY years later when bands like Blind Guardian had set the path to people accepting that style of metal again. As far as power metal dominance, BG were easily influencing everyone under the sun once the 90's hit and then by the time Imaginations came out they were the reigning champs, deservedly so. IE despite writing some good stuff and being big never influenced anything to me.

I disagree with that. I don't think BG did that much for the attention IE got over here. When the first album came out up to Dark Saga' they got no attention, the Dark Saga', 'Purgatory' period started to capture the nerd audience a bit, and by 'Horrow Show' it was on. Think they did it on their own merit.
I remember being at a Testament show at Ziggys and being amazed by all the Iced Earth shirt and this was around 'Something Wicked'; I have the idea that most of those people would not have been to familiar with Blind Guardian.

I disagree with that. I don't think BG did that much for the attention IE got over here. When the first album came out up to Dark Saga' they got no attention, the Dark Saga', 'Purgatory' period started to capture the nerd audience a bit, and by 'Horrow Show' it was on. Think they did it on their own merit.
I remember being at a Testament show at Ziggys and being amazed by all the Iced Earth shirt and this was around 'Something Wicked'; I have the idea that most of those people would not have been to familiar with Blind Guardian.

You are basing it on one show at Ziggys. I am basing it on all the Blind Guardian import CDs I sold at BB's before they were released domestically. You do realize by the time Horror Show was out in 2001 BG were making their first ever US appearance at ProgPower in 2002 simply based on how big they were the world over, right? You remember how quickly that PP sold out right? Wasn't it just a few days because of Gamma Ray and BG? This fest appearance being nearly a decade AFTER they released "Somewhere Far Beyond."

The US metal market were WELL aware of Blind Guardian and they influenced an entire generation. When we saw that band of youngsters at Hoyt's fest whose song did they cover? Valhalla, by who? ;)