Most important and influential 90s albums upon their respective subgenres

You are basing it on one show at Ziggys. I am basing it on all the Blind Guardian import CDs I sold at BB's before they were released domestically. You do realize by the time Horror Show was out in 2001 BG were making their first ever US appearance at ProgPower in 2002 simply based on how big they were the world over, right? You remember how quickly that PP sold out right? Wasn't it just a few days because of Gamma Ray and BG? This fest appearance being nearly a decade AFTER they released "Somewhere Far Beyond."

The US metal market were WELL aware of Blind Guardian and they influenced an entire generation. When we saw that band of youngsters at Hoyt's fest whose song did they cover? Valhalla, by who? ;)

No not at all, that was just one exsample. I'm basing it on all the U.S. press I saw back then to be honest. If I get a moment I can give you reference issue numbers if you like.
But I am only going on what was happening in the U.S., it is sometimes easy to just be referring to the U.S. and not realize it.
Also Hammerfall, Blind Guardian and Iced Earth have sort of different sounds. Iced Earth is certainly a U.S. power metal band with metal akin to Metal Church than Helloween.
I also believe I was saying that Iced Earth kept power metal alive in the U.S., no Blind Guardian had nothing to do with that. And Iced Earth were what four albums in by the time Blind Guardian got over here.

They were a pretty big player in the power metal surge in the late '90s.

Indeed they were, so was Blind Guardian but I don't think they had as much impact as Iced Earth did here in the 90s. Hell I don't think Blind Guardian had as much impact as Hammerfall even did over here in the 1990s. I'm sure appareances at Progpower will tell us differently.

How are you measuring impact?

Well oppose to just going on Progpower the grading scale for all that is metal, I'm going on the boxes full of 1990s magazines that are in my office, and everything I recall seeing and hearing then. Sure none of us are going on actual sales. And again I'm just talking about what I saw going on in the U.S.
Goddamnit it sounds like I'm cheering for Iced Earth or something and I really don't care for them anymore.
Of course now I'm going downstair and pull out the boxset.:D

Come to think about it I never saw Blind Guardian CDs in a store until I started going to BBs. Bought 'Dark Saga' in an FYE as well as the first album (well it was a different name then).

A buddy of mine, around 1995/1996, loaned me "Imaginations From The Other Side" and "Burnt Offerings"...both were my introductions to those bands. I had never heard, nor heard of, them prior to that.

Not that this fact means anything.... :)

Well oppose to just going on Progpower the grading scale for all that is metal, I'm going on the boxes full of 1990s magazines that are in my office, and everything I recall seeing and hearing then. Sure none of us are going on actual sales. And again I'm just talking about what I saw going on in the U.S.
Goddamnit it sounds like I'm cheering for Iced Earth or something and I really don't care for them anymore.
Of course now I'm going downstair and pull out the boxset.:D

Come to think about it I never saw Blind Guardian CDs in a store until I started going to BBs. Bought 'Dark Saga' in an FYE as well as the first album (well it was a different name then).

Are we limiting this to US impact? Because it sounds like you are wanting to do that from the angles you are taking. Because we all know how big metal was in the 90's in the USA. hahaha. Seems funny to be saying Blind Guardian weren't a very big band back then considering they were on a MAJOR LABEL in Germany/Europe. but yes, why would a German major spend money on press coverage in a market where their albums aren't available readily. CM licensed the catalog and it took off from there. CM even licensed the remasters later on too.

We aren't going to convince each otherwise. So we shall agree to disagree. From my personal tastes I know I didn't think Iced Earth were doing anything relevant until Something Wicked, but BG on the other hand, well, just read my original post and you will see why I loved them back then so much.

BG IN THAILAND in 1995

BG IN GREECE in 1998 (great crowd participation from the very start)

Last edited by a moderator:
"agree to disagree" is so weak man. And yes I'm saying in the U.S. I know better than to say the rest of the world.

Noted for the remainder of the thread, I will post records that had an impact on the USA.

It's not weak, I am providing you with evidence and you are talking about t-shirts at shows and magazine ads and changing the criteria of the thread to fit your points. You know what a magazine ad means? Label has money to buy it. Doesn't mean crap as far as impact. I can go through the same magazines you are looking at and pull out 3 bands that will be in them that did NOTHING, but because their label at the time had money they got featured. Money talks.

Blind Guardian were on a major label in Germany from the get go, Iced Earth were on a German upstart metal label who over time as risen in the ranks. Iced Earth weren't even original, yes the kept the torch burning in America by playing rehashed Iron Maiden riffs and this coming from a guy who loves Iced Earth, but the wheel they didn't not re-invent.

I stick by my original post that BG influenced FAR MORE BANDS than Iced Earth ever dreamed of. Pretty sure Iced Earth never incorporated big powerful choruses or songs about Tolkien and dragons, but where did all the legions of power metal bands in Europe (still happening today) get those influences from? hmmm.....hell, Rhapsody didn't even get into the game until 1997.

Not just ads, articals, reviews, and interviews.
Wasn't attepting to change the thread, it is not intentional, only can go on what I see in the U.S. Can it be assumed that any of the mentioned above albums were game changers for the rest of the world? Perhaps I should have stated "the 90s in the U.S."

The US market I know absolutely nothing about. Here in Sweden power metal never lost its following. It did skyrocket again with Hammerfall in the late 90s though.

The most influential metal band in Sweden from the 90s would definitely be Entombed, hands down. Their impact was massive and took metal to the masses. They were on every TV-show and magazine cover there is. Without them metal would not have been mainstream here in Sweden today.

Cathedral were from the UK on UK based label. So they were big in USA? ;)

You want to keep pushing this don't you?
I am while aware of were Cathedral from. BUT they do do a tremendous amount for doom in the U.S. But maybe I'm mistaken cause I'm certainly not the authority on metal that you are, after all you did tell me that Cathedral were not a U.S. band.

You want to keep pushing this don't you?
I am while aware of were Cathedral from. BUT they do do a tremendous amount for doom in the U.S. But maybe I'm mistaken cause I'm certainly not the authority on metal that you are, after all you did tell me that Cathedral were not a U.S. band.

I tried to let it go by saying "agree to disagree" that usually means someone is done. But when you call that response "weak" then YOU keep dragging it out. If you don't let a person out of the discussion then it will continue as it did.

The US market I know absolutely nothing about. Here in Sweden power metal never lost its following. It did skyrocket again with Hammerfall in the late 90s though.

The most influential metal band in Sweden from the 90s would definitely be Entombed, hands down. Their impact was massive and took metal to the masses. They were on every TV-show and magazine cover there is. Without them metal would not have been mainstream here in Sweden today.

This is amazing to me. I think the only thing similar we've seen in the US is Metallica.

So to get us back on topic.

KYUSS - Welcome To Sky Valley (1994)

As Black Sabbath unknowingly created doom metal, 25 years later there was a little tiny doomy sub-genre poking it's head out being labeled "stoner metal" or "dirt rock" and this album in it's 3 movement form was the pinnacle. Still a great driving album!

Last edited by a moderator:
So to get us back on topic.

KYUSS - Welcome To Sky Valley (1994)

As Black Sabbath unknowingly created doom metal, 25 years later there was a little tiny doomy sub-genre poking it's head out being labeled "stoner metal" or "dirt rock" and this album in it's 3 movement form was the pinnacle. Still a great driving album!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZ5HiYaOkk

Desert dwelling punk rockers, though I'm probably wrong about that.:D
Never got much into them, dug Sleep though. It just seemed like a whole new banch of the doom tree (band name there) coming out of Saint Vitus. That whole desert scene, southern doom, and whatever the hell Buzz-oven were doing just did not do much for me. Buzzoven was more a moment in time thing for me.
Which that is another band, Buzzov'en; think they certainly had a bit of influencial on their swcene and bands that would come behind them. Here in AMERICA that is (see Matt I said AMERICA this time) HAHA