"metalcore as a subgenre destroys the other subgenres"

swizzlenuts said:
Whenever I hear Shadows Fall I hear Half-Thrash riffs mixed in with chuggah, and the chuggah makes Shadows Fall metalcore. Same with Lamb of God. They both have half thrash riffs mixed in with chuggah.
While I see what you're saying I STRONGLY dissagree. If a chug riff, which yes Shadows fall and Lamb of God havemakes you metalcore, then i can't think of a band that isn't metalcore. All metal, generally speaking, takes a strong influence from thrash metal. For all practical purposes trash was the first metal (Venom, Celtic Frost, etc.). And little to no bands can make it through their discography without having multiple chug riffs.
Point being: excess chug riffs, sad excuses for screams, and "woe is me" lyrics mixed with repetitave drumming consisting of would be double bass a crash cymbol, snare and little more is what makes metalcore. I don't feel that either of those bands desserve such a degrating title. (long exhale, finishes rant)

Having said that, i'm glad to see that so many people dissapprove of metalcore. Even if it does include Shadows Fall (sorry guys!). I'm just tired of seeing pathetic excuses for metal.

(spoken to a friend at Ozzfest concerning Trivium)
"yeah they're metal, they're just not good metal"

harryhash said:
I like SOME metalcore, the same as I like elements of rap, nu-metal, rock, classical, jass, and yes, *sigh*, emo. Personally I like the idea of metalcore (fusion of the intensity of hardcore and the skill of metal), but the end result falls way short of how it should be. There are bands that come close (Parkway Drive, for example, but they are more hardcore than the bands usually discussed around here) but on the whole, metalcore is a dissapointment. IMO, Trivium is more mathcore, as is Meshuggah.

But anyways (and on the subject of the first few posts), I think there is always room for intelligent discussion about the relative strenghts and weaknesses of different genres so long as it doesn't fall into the "X roolz fag, no Y is da best cockhed" trap. Facts and examples beat personal attacks any day, and hence Z He Lives has failed to create a decent argument by not only attacking any dissenters, but also being so unoriginal as to copy someone else's point of view. I am going to sink to your level for a bit.

WAY TO BE A SHEEP, DICKHEAD. NEXT TIME, GROW A BRAIN (and some balls while you are at it) AND FORMULATE YOUR OWN OPINION.

There are some good, better yet successful, nineties metalcore bands (see Botch or Integrity). I think these guys do a pretty good job of fusing the genres.

I'd like to specify/ agree that i don't think Trivium is metalcore either, i just don't like them.

Narg n Lamb said:
heh, anything like Nile is too heavy for me...but I have only heard one song from them, cuz honestly when they start singing lower and start growling more, It pisses me off cuz I can't hear what the hell theyre saying...
Of course, you were reading along with the lyrics while listening, right?

Right?

Idunnonuten said:
While I see what you're saying I STRONGLY dissagree. If a chug riff, which yes Shadows fall and Lamb of God havemakes you metalcore, then i can't think of a band that isn't metalcore. All metal, generally speaking, takes a strong influence from thrash metal. For all practical purposes trash was the first metal (Venom, Celtic Frost, etc.). And little to no bands can make it through their discography without having multiple chug riffs.

Many bands out there don't chug at all. I can think of bands that through out their whole album don't chug. Demilich, At the Gates first few albums, Primordial, The Chasm, Spawn of Possession, Emperor, Atheist, Kreator, and countless Black Metal bands don't chug through out their albums. What also makes them metalcore bands is trying to be "heavy" rather than just making music. They want those "heavy" riffs, but they don't turn out to be "heavy" they turn out to be annoying chuggah that show they don't have the talent to write impressive music, and with their "heavy" riffs they have a sound that reminds most people of the new age of metalcore. The band Demiricous is a thrash band, and they chug ALOT, but in no way are they metalcore, they don't have the new hardcore sound to it or midpitched vocals. They are pretty much a slayer rip off with a ton of chug.

I like what metalcore bands try to do, but I think all of them fail miserably. The Red Chord - Fused together with Revolving Doors may be an exception, but other than that most metalcore bands fail and the integration of metal and hardcore.

Idunnonuten said:
There are some good, better yet successful, nineties metalcore bands (see Botch or Integrity). I think these guys do a pretty good job of fusing the genres.

Yeah, those bands and others (All Out War, VOD, Coalesce, etc.) were the first bands I associated with mixing the two (not counting 80s crossover, of course). There weren't a whole lot of those bands I really got into at the time, but compared to many of the new and completely unlistenable bands that fall under the same category (Killswitch Engage, Bleeding Through, etc.) they were still enjoyable to one extent or another. I also kinda thought it was cool that hardcore kids were getting turned onto Slayer and other metal through those bands.

swizzlenuts said:
Many bands out there don't chug at all. I can think of bands that through out their whole album don't chug. Demilich, At the Gates first few albums, Primordial, The Chasm, Spawn of Possession, Emperor, Atheist, Kreator, and countless Black Metal bands don't chug through out their albums. What also makes them metalcore bands is trying to be "heavy" rather than just making music. They want those "heavy" riffs, but they don't turn out to be "heavy" they turn out to be annoying chuggah that show they don't have the talent to write impressive music, and with their "heavy" riffs they have a sound that reminds most people of the new age of metalcore. The band Demiricous is a thrash band, and they chug ALOT, but in no way are they metalcore, they don't have the new hardcore sound to it or midpitched vocals. They are pretty much a slayer rip off with a ton of chug.

I like what metalcore bands try to do, but I think all of them fail miserably. The Red Chord - Fused together with Revolving Doors may be an exception, but other than that most metalcore bands fail and the integration of metal and hardcore.

100 % valid. I have no argument. I especially agree with metalcore bands trying to be heavy. I just really think that that Shadows Fall exceed the classification of metalcore. I geuss i just don't hear ANY hardcore in them. I feel like they are a band that use their chugs well. As far as heavy goes, I feel like kicking someone's ass when i listen to SF. Or perhaps this is all me just trying to avoid having to say that i listen to a metalcore band (lol).

I feel like the guys in SF need a little more credit. How many "metalcore" bands can solo like them. Or even riff like they do. A freind of mine pointed out how some of the riffs on the new album are even somewhat similar to Swedish death metal (Ex. the first distorted riff on the war within). I feel like the guys have come a long way since Of One Blood and hate them being placed in the same genre as All That Remains (coincidence?), Norma Jean, or Avenged Sevenfold who are all pretty sad excuses for heavy music.

im not veryknowlegable about diff. genres but i do like most bands that have been called metalcore. log, sf, all that remains, trivium, bleeding through and all that stuff so i will have to agree that metalcore is the best genre.

btw what is chugging?

It usually a sound that comes out when bands D tune and Up/Down pick with palm mutes and sometimes behind it. Chuggah can come from triplets or just muting the chords to sound "heavy". Its hard to explain on the keyboard.

blakscorpion21 said:
so i will have to agree that metalcore is the best genre.

Compare their musicianship and song-writing ability to bands like say...Morbid Angel, Emperor, Death, Nevermore, Nightrage, Persuader and The Crown and then tell me again what you said is true.

Metalcore is a lot like the new Nu-Metal, it's a bunch of guys playing music that doesn't take a lot of skill (although I will give some Metalcore bands props for having good guitar playing, drumming, etc.) to play. The vocals for nearly all the Metalcore bands I've heard sound the same, the lyrics are all the same, the breakdowns are all the same, the fans are all the same, the riffs are all the same...it's like a collection of brainlessness.

ProjectedBlack said:
Metalcore is a lot like the new Nu-Metal, it's a bunch of guys playing music that doesn't take a lot of skill (although I will give some Metalcore bands props for having good guitar playing, drumming, etc.) to play. The vocals for nearly all the Metalcore bands I've heard sound the same, the lyrics are all the same, the breakdowns are all the same, the fans are all the same, the riffs are all the same...it's like a collection of brainlessness.

very well put.

i looked up some morbid angel lyrics and they seem to be about the same thing. darkness, suffering, evil. nothing a scitophrenic couldnt write up in a couple minutes.

im not a musician so i will not question the musicianship of them cause i dont know whats hard to play and whats easy to play. all i know is that metalcore sounds better to me. thats just an opinion but thats what forums are for, posting ur opinion.

blakscorpion21 said:
i looked up some morbid angel lyrics and they seem to be about the same thing. darkness, suffering, evil. nothing a scitophrenic couldnt write up in a couple minutes.

im not a musician so i will not question the musicianship of them cause i dont know whats hard to play and whats easy to play. all i know is that metalcore sounds better to me. thats just an opinion but thats what forums are for, posting ur opinion.

If you are exposed to good bands, most likely you will drop the metalcore because it get quite boring....

i have heard many death metal bands and have yet to be impressed by any. cradle of filth is the only one i like mainly b/c of nemphetamine. can you reccomend any that are good, that a metalcore fan would like?

blakscorpion21 said:
i have heard many death metal bands and have yet to be impressed by any. cradle of filth is the only one i like mainly b/c of nemphetamine. can you reccomend any that are good, that a metalcore fan would like?
Crazy metalcore kids.

Listen to Nile, Death, and the aformentioned Morbid Angel, and then some black metal (generally what CoF is WRONGLY described as) like Emperor, Immortal, Burzum, and Dissection.

And then listen to Akercocke.

I don't care if you like metalcore; those are bands that any fan of heavy music should enjoy.

Listen to Immolation's "Failures for Gods". If you don't like that, then you're gay, and should stick to metalcore.

blakscorpion21 said:

If you like Cradle of Filth all is pretty much lost. :p And they're not death/black/any metal at all. They're whinypussypissmusic. Song writing isn't completly made up of how good the lyrics are. (I'm just noticing how you judged Morbid Angel, granted I haven't listen to much of them anyway...) Just give it some time, if you have any taste you'll start liking better music. :D Try Nevermore, like someone else mentioned. Good stuff if you like clean singing. Maybe try Gradually getting into it by listening to Pop metal stuff like Arch Enemy and Children of Bodom. Moving backwards through their albums. Good luck and don't post anything you'll regret later. :lol: