The ANGEL WITCH appreciation thread

I love the first album!!!!! The only problem with them is that their history is so messy with all of the member changes and such. Hell at one time they were even based in LA. The first album is a must own album though!

I hear you about their history. It is quite a maze to work through.

PS: sorry in advance as it has been told to me that there have already been a lot of threads about ANGEL WITCH here and I must have missed most of them. Listening to the album inspired me. :lol:

Can you hear the voice

Of a thousand years ago

The laughter of the Gorgon

A female that brings doom

Don't look her in the eyes

Or you'll turn to stone
:headbang: :headbang:

Actually the album was a disapointment to me. I already had all their EP and sampler tracks.

Of those I liked:

Bachomet [Metal for Muthas I]
Hades Paradise, Sweet Danger, Flight 19, [EMI EP]
Extermination Day [Friday Night Rockshow BBC Session]

I had high expectations for their album, but I found the production lacking and Kevin was not soloing as fast and long as on the tracks I mentioned.

At least, thats what I feel about their first album. Most of the songs are good though. I guess its just that I like most of their their earlier tracks much better. On the "Sweet Danger" EP and the BBC Sessions track the production is way heavier and the soloing is spectacular! I always had the feeling that they did not live up to their promise.

Still a good band!

My favorite unknown NWOBHM band is Tresspas.

Yep, BIG fan here, but only the first album :headbang: ...the stuff after that isn't worth mentioning I think... :eek:
my fav "unknown" NWOBHM bands are Legend, early Stampede & More ...

current line up (I think) and former members

Kevin Heybourne guitars/vocals
Jon Torres guitars/bass ( also Laaz Rockit, The Lord Weird Slough Feg)
Lee Altus guitars ( also Heathen)
Darren Minter drums ( also Heathen)
former members
David Tattum vocals
Grant Denison rhythm guitar
Keith Herzberg guitars
Mick Taylor guitars/keyboards
Kevin Riddles bass (also Tytan)
Pete Gordelier bass
Jerry Cunningham bass
Ritchie Wicks bass/vocals ( also Shadow Keep, Tygers Of Pan Tang)
Dave Hogg drums
Dave Dufort drums (also Tytan)
Spencer Hollman drums
Ricky Bruce drums
Tom Hunting drums/backing vocals ( also Exodus)
Scott Higham drums

carnut said:
Yep, BIG fan here, but only the first album :headbang: ...the stuff after that isn't worth mentioning I think... :eek:
my fav "unknown" NWOBHM bands are Legend, early Stampede & More ...
I've seen More as a support act of Iron Maiden in the Vereniging in Nijmegen in 1981! This was just before Iron Maiden released their "Killers" album.

I never seen Legend live but would have loved too. A few months ago I bought a double cd with their first and second album. I love both albums. Great band Legend!!

Stampede? :confused:

Hawk said:
I've seen More as a support act of Iron Maiden in the Vereniging in Nijmegen in 1981! This was just before Iron Maiden released their "Killers" album.

I never seen Legend live but would have loved too. A few months ago I bought a double cd with their first and second album. I love both albums. Great band Legend!!

Stampede? :confused:

Stampede was on a Reading Rock sampler (early 80's) and I know their first album was very good , I only had it on cassette ....later work was worse (like almost any English NWOBHM band it seems)....First album is a live record from that reading performance called "the official bootleg" VERY worth a listen !!
http://www.nwobhm.com/stampede.htm

carnut said:
Stampede was on a Reading Rock sampler (early 80's) and I know their first album was very good , I only had it on cassette ....later work was worse (like almost any English NWOBHM band it seems)....First album is a live record from that reading performance called "the official bootleg" VERY worth a listen !!
http://www.nwobhm.com/stampede.htm
I never heard of them. But I vagualy remember the sleeve of that album. Have you ever heard Vardis - 100 MpH album?

that was also a debut live album and it kicked major ass. The first xxx pressing had a Vardis Poster. After that album they strayed to a more bluesy sound.

Hawk said:
I never heard of them. But I vagualy remember the sleeve of that album. Have you ever heard Vardis - 100 MpH album?

that was also a debut live album and it kicked major ass. The first xxx pressing had a Vardis Poster. After that album they strayed to a more bluesy sound.

If you have the chance check out that Stampede live record, you'll like it !! I only know the name Vardis, cannot remember ever listening to them...allways confuse them with Quo Vadis :D
Have you heard that Reading Rock sampler ('82 I think), there's some awesome stuff; Budgie, Terraplane, Twisted Sister, Ufo, MSG, Chinatown, Marillion, Grand Prix....VERY good live album !!!

AngelWitch73 said:
You´re talking about the "Resurrection" album, right ? That was hugely disappointing.

indeed, apart from the nice sleeve there's nothing interesting on it. It was a buy-and-listen-one-time album... one of the biggest diappointing albums I ever had I think, as I was a real "hardcore" fan of the Angel Witch album...

I only got the debut (plus bonus tracks) and the "Live" album from 1990 which is great because they play only the first album :D

I'm probably the only one here who also likes the albums they did after the self titled one, but I think Frontal Assault is a highly underrated record.

Sure it's different, with a more "vocal approach", still I think it worked quite well, even if Heybourne doesn't like the album anymore :rolleyes:

EDIT : I'm not fond of the "Resurrection" demos collection though...

carnut said:
indeed, apart from the nice sleeve there's nothing interesting on it. It was a buy-and-listen-one-time album... one of the biggest diappointing albums I ever had I think, as I was a real "hardcore" fan of the Angel Witch album...
Yeah, I had the same thing happen with "Resurrection", I listened to it once and never picked it up again. Good thing it was not overly expensive.