The ANGEL WITCH appreciation thread

No, this thread is not about me, but rather about one of the BEST NWOBHM bands to have existed: ANGEL WITCH ! Favourite song: 'Angel Of Death'. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Well thanks AW73
A song that was co-written by myself, though never got credits on album,
nobody did, only Kevin, under instructions from his dad, who was the then Manager of the band.

Well thanks AW73
A song that was co-written by myself, though never got credits on album,
nobody did, only Kevin, under instructions from his dad, who was the then Manager of the band.

NO KIDDING?

Well AW73 left long time ago (miss you Cheryl) but I can assure you there are many fans of Angel Witch around (me for instance :D).

Welcome to the Old School Psychiatric Ward where the flame never dies :headbang:

NP: Orodruin - 'Unspeakable Truth'

I love the first album!!!!! The only problem with them is that their history is so messy with all of the member changes and such. Hell at one time they were even based in LA. The first album is a must own album though!

Hi Greeno.
You would've liked the first album even better, if it were recorded better!
But we had to go along with a "nobody producer, (Martin Smith) WHO'S HE.
I also feel it would have been better recorded at EMI, If Mr Ken Heybourne had not turned down their record deal.
Angel Witch was a more powerful band LIVE.....Studio recordings were too smooth and cleand up, in otherwords "CRAP".
I feel i may have been given the sack because of the turn-out of the debut
records ,as i wasn't at all satisfied with their outcome.
In other words.....I upset too many people, who helped Fuck it up, and that was the begining of the member changes.
Thanks for initial qoute GREENO. Keep rockin' Day Vog. (Drums) :headbang: 1977-80 & 1985-86.:headbang:

NO KIDDING?

Well AW73 left long time ago (miss you Cheryl) but I can assure you there are many fans of Angel Witch around (me for instance :D).

Welcome to the Old School Psychiatric Ward where the flame never dies :headbang:

NP: Orodruin - 'Unspeakable Truth'
Hi Wyvern.
I feel into this thread. and New to UM....Since last friday.
How you doin'?
I'm just catching up on a few things on here as i'm researching some views
on a book i may be getting together shortly.
I'm also putting the record straight as i go.....
I am overwhelmed that most of you guys have written such nice reviews,
I thank you for that. I don't know CHERYL, but wish i had, as it seems she started this thread.
Well wyvern... Keep them coming. I'ill answer all when i can. Thanks again.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:headbang: Day Vog:headbang: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Actually the album was a disapointment to me. I already had all their EP and sampler tracks.

Of those I liked:

Bachomet [Metal for Muthas I]
Hades Paradise, Sweet Danger, Flight 19, [EMI EP]
Extermination Day [Friday Night Rockshow BBC Session]

I had high expectations for their album, but I found the production lacking and Kevin was not soloing as fast and long as on the tracks I mentioned.

At least, thats what I feel about their first album. Most of the songs are good though. I guess its just that I like most of their their earlier tracks much better. On the "Sweet Danger" EP and the BBC Sessions track the production is way heavier and the soloing is spectacular! I always had the feeling that they did not live up to their promise.

Still a good band!

My favorite unknown NWOBHM band is Tresspas.

Hi HAWK.
It was a disappointment to me aswell. and i don't blame you.
As Quoted before: Angel Witch songs were good for their time,
but you had to see them live......
We were gracing the music press in the UK around 1979 on our live performances. So it would have been a big disappointment when you guys out of the UK only got to hear the band when released on vinyl.
Thanks for your views...........Rock on....:headbang: Day Vog:headbang:

Yep, BIG fan here, but only the first album :headbang: ...the stuff after that isn't worth mentioning I think... :eek:
my fav "unknown" NWOBHM bands are Legend, early Stampede & More ...

Perhaps we should have kept Heybourne on vocals.
Trouble is....he couldn't hold his voice out.
Thanks for your view......"CARNUT" Day vog.

I'm probably the only one here who also likes the albums they did after the self titled one, but I think Frontal Assault is a highly underrated record.

Sure it's different, with a more "vocal approach", still I think it worked quite well, even if Heybourne doesn't like the album anymore :rolleyes:

EDIT : I'm not fond of the "Resurrection" demos collection though...

Nice one "FANGFACE"
I hav'nt heared anything after "sreamin'n'bleedin".
But it's all a load of crap to me!!
especially when AW were a great entertaining "live" metal outfit!!!!!!!!
Thanks anyway. Day Vog.

Hi Oggi, I was going to tell you yesterday to pop into old School cos there are lots of AW fans in here but didn't get much time on the computer yesterday. I'm still a bit shocked that you are the real Dave Hogg - awesome!!!!

I'd agree with the fact that Angel Witch were absolutely mindblowing live, I loved their performance at Reading Festival, we were right down the front for Angel Witch coming on and AW were one of the bands that I was most looking forward to seeing live. I can still remember rocking out to the song Angel Witch as if it was only last week - wow what a memory!!!!

I definitely think if you were to ask anyone who loves NWOBHM what their top 3 fav albums of that genre were, I'm sure everyone would put Angel Witch's debut album in their top 3 - its jawdropping brilliant, and even to this day I still think its SUPERB. Thats one album I'll never get tired of listening to cos every song is a cracker.

As I said before, AW are still hugely popular and I've noticed that its quite a lot of the young rockers are into them. When I went to see Saxon last year a wee guy offered me £20 for my Angel Witch patch lol but I didn't part with it. He was asking if I'd ever seen AW and I said that I'd seen them 3 times and I just automatically asked him if he'd seen Angel Witch before - but he replied No cos he wasn't born until 1986 - so it turned out that I'd seen Angel Witch 3 times before he was even born!!!!! Wow did that make me feel old, still canny get my head round that:lol:

I'm always trying to get Angel Witch played on Planet Rock radio request show, I've been lucky enough to managed to get Diamond Head and Praying Mantis, Saxon and Girlschool played. Mick Wall has just joined Planet Rock and he wants folk to email in what 4 rock songs first got you into rock - so I filled in the wee form and my 4 songs are these:-

Running Free - Maiden
Am I Evil - Diamond Head
Angel Witch - Angel Witch
One of these Days - Trespass

Every Sat and Sun he's gonny be playing people's 4 choices of songs, so with any luck he'll play my choices and finally we will get some Angel Witch on Planetrock - plus of course if he plays mine, I get to win a new DAB Radio!!!!!!

Hi HAWK.
It was a disappointment to me as well. and i don't blame you.
As Quoted before: Angel Witch songs were good for their time,
but you had to see them live......
We were gracing the music press in the UK around 1979 on our live performances. So it would have been a big disappointment when you guys out of the UK only got to hear the band when released on vinyl.
Thanks for your views...........Rock on....:headbang: Day Vog:headbang:

I know man!! I used to be a HUGE Angelwitch fan. Like said I bought all the sampler songs and single and the Flight 19 EP on EMI! Those were great!! I love the production of 'Extermination Day" on the Friday night rockshow sampler. Great sound great playing! Thats what got me into the band.

I never saw them live. :( I wish I had.

guess most of you seen the "Angel Witch" video. Think it was posted here earlier ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkeE9Ocsfu4

Great to see you pass by here on UMOS Dave. Nice to have some REAL Heavy Metal Legends to post here !!
I didn't have any problems with the production of the Angel Witch album though, and still don't. I think it sounds great as it is; one of the best Metal albums ever !!

Hi Oggi, I was going to tell you yesterday to pop into old School cos there are lots of AW fans in here but didn't get much time on the computer yesterday. I'm still a bit shocked that you are the real Dave Hogg - awesome!!!!

I'd agree with the fact that Angel Witch were absolutely mindblowing live, I loved their performance at Reading Festival, we were right down the front for Angel Witch coming on and AW were one of the bands that I was most looking forward to seeing live. I can still remember rocking out to the song Angel Witch as if it was only last week - wow what a memory!!!!

I definitely think if you were to ask anyone who loves NWOBHM what their top 3 fav albums of that genre were, I'm sure everyone would put Angel Witch's debut album in their top 3 - its jawdropping brilliant, and even to this day I still think its SUPERB. Thats one album I'll never get tired of listening to cos every song is a cracker.

As I said before, AW are still hugely popular and I've noticed that its quite a lot of the young rockers are into them. When I went to see Saxon last year a wee guy offered me £20 for my Angel Witch patch lol but I didn't part with it. He was asking if I'd ever seen AW and I said that I'd seen them 3 times and I just automatically asked him if he'd seen Angel Witch before - but he replied No cos he wasn't born until 1986 - so it turned out that I'd seen Angel Witch 3 times before he was even born!!!!! Wow did that make me feel old, still canny get my head round that:lol:

I'm always trying to get Angel Witch played on Planet Rock radio request show, I've been lucky enough to managed to get Diamond Head and Praying Mantis, Saxon and Girlschool played. Mick Wall has just joined Planet Rock and he wants folk to email in what 4 rock songs first got you into rock - so I filled in the wee form and my 4 songs are these:-

Running Free - Maiden
Am I Evil - Diamond Head
Angel Witch - Angel Witch
One of these Days - Trespass

Every Sat and Sun he's gonny be playing people's 4 choices of songs, so with any luck he'll play my choices and finally we will get some Angel Witch on Planetrock - plus of course if he plays mine, I get to win a new DAB Radio!!!!!!

Hi Princess, Nice to hear from you again.
I stumbled across this "Old school thing the other night. "still finding it hard to get around this site" mind you ,i've only had a PC a short while, and still a novice!
I've started on a "myspace" Thing, i dont realy know how to jazz that up yet,
but i've managed to download a couple of photos....ha, well it's a start.
Have you seen "Hawk's" My space? F******Brilliant, I'ill have to have a chat with him sometime for some advice, i'm well impressed..........Hi HAWK.
Blimey Princess, I bet you've got a bit of an AW museum,with tour badges/patches and the like? I don't have anything hardly.......A few newspaper cuttings, my vinyls obviously, some studio and rehearsal tapes.
I'm still waiting for my screamin' cd to arrive, Oh and a very undersized T-shirt
which used to be my young nephews, that my sister gave back to me, t-used
to be in her attic i think. He's 41 now!!
Wow that makes me feel old!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway hun. check out, www.myspace.com/Dayvog in a couple of weeks, i may have gotten it together by then. Hope you win your DAB, and thanks for taking an interest Luv Day vog:oops:

I know man!! I used to be a HUGE Angelwitch fan. Like said I bought all the sampler songs and single and the Flight 19 EP on EMI! Those were great!! I love the production of 'Extermination Day" on the Friday night rockshow sampler. Great sound great playing! Thats what got me into the band.

I never saw them live. :( I wish I had.

Hi HAWK. A great myspace site you have!
Talking about production............Amazing ain't it.
The stuff you like "samplers" ect.....as follows.
Flight 19 EMI was recorded-mixed down, and over-tracks took one saturday
To complete including b-side...These were basicly an audition for record deal which we could have signed. we was'nt dropped by EMI, this was a cover-up by K.H, because our then manager was his dad,who turned down the deal!
All four tracks on BBC was recorded in one evening at the maida vale studio's
London. Mixed down in our absence. All were low budget.
And that pile of rubbish they call the "debut" album took three weeks,10 hours a day @ £50 an hour, re-mixed in our absence.
I done my F******Nut when we returned from tour and heared the final result, Thats probably the reason i was dismissed the first time.
I must admit, our engineer, MARK DEARNLEY was brilliant, this production was not down to him, he was acting on instructions from producer.
Anyway HAWK. Hope that clear's that up.:headbang: Day vog.
P.S Tried to say hi on yourspace, but was creating a problem. "not your fault"

guess most of you seen the "Angel Witch" video. Think it was posted here earlier ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkeE9Ocsfu4

Great to see you pass by here on UMOS Dave. Nice to have some REAL Heavy Metal Legends to post here !!
I didn't have any problems with the production of the Angel Witch album though, and still don't. I think it sounds great as it is; one of the best Metal albums ever !!

Well thanks "CARNUT". Pass by here being the optimum word. From now,
You'ill probably find me lost somewhere around this site, the jargon i've to get used to. ***kin' sticky Fred,,,,, Whats that?:lol: or Who's he:lol: :lol:
I think i'ill hide in a cupboard somwhere on this site, until someone rescues me.
Where's OZZY............."SHAAAARON"

Well, withouth a doubt you ended up in the right place to start of an internet carreer :p
We try to keep this forum as "clean" as possible, lots of other Metal forums have an overflow of assholes that just are there to make trouble. Our moderator Hawk insures that that won't happen here. Over the years people from all over the world have become real Metal brothers and sisters here !! If you hang around here you'll see !!

Hi HAWK. A great myspace site you have!

Thanks Dave. Its actually not my doing. You can use a myspace editor.
A website that helps you design your myspace site.

I used this one:

http://www.mywackospace.com/myspace-editor/

Just play a little with it without expecting to much and you will get the hang of it. If you need help just click on my name 'Hawk' on the left of this message and a menu will appear. From that menu choose:

'Send private message to Hawk' and you will be able to send me a private message. After you have send me that message, that only I can see, an email is send of to me to warn me that I have a new private message.
And I will be able to answer you.

Angel witch oggi said:
Talking about production............Amazing ain't it.
The stuff you like "samplers" ect.....as follows.

Flight 19 EMI was recorded-mixed down, and over-tracks took one saturday
To complete including b-side...These were basicly an audition for record deal which we could have signed. we was'nt dropped by EMI, this was a cover-up by K.H, because our then manager was his dad,who turned down the deal!

Wow! I never knew that! How stupid can you get! When the one of the biggest companies in the world is willing to sign you! Thats incredible!

Angel witch oggi said:
All four tracks on BBC was recorded in one evening at the maida vale studio's London. Mixed down in our absence. All were low budget.

It just sounded great to my ears! I remember hearing that and thinking Wow!! Do you now if that BBC session is available anywhere? And what tracks were recorded that evening? I only heard 'Extermination Day'. And thats my favorite track of Angel Witch. The sheer heaviness of that track. The vocals of Kevin are awesome!

Angel witch oggi said:
And that pile of rubbish they call the "debut" album took three weeks,10 hours a day @ £50 an hour, re-mixed in our absence.
I done my F******Nut when we returned from tour and heared the final result, Thats probably the reason i was dismissed the first time.

Looks like Mr Heybourne senior was an idiot who did not know what the hell he was doing? Dave, I am thinking; why not do an interview with me about the history of Angel Witch? Would you be up for that? It would be published on this site:

http://www.digital-steel.com/DS/index.php

Maybe even Aardschok would be interested in such an interview!
Send me a Private Message! :)

Angel witch oggi said:
I must admit, our engineer, MARK DEARNLEY was brilliant, this production was not down to him, he was acting on instructions from producer.

Yea its a shame Angel Witch could have been so much bigger! A good and heavy production would have been essential for that debut.

Angel witch oggi said:
Anyway HAWK. Hope that clear's that up. Day vog.

Thanks SO MUCH for that Dave. As a historian I enjoyed that immensely! I hope you consider doing that interview with me. It would be great to share anecdotes about the early beginnings of Angelwitch and why they did not get as big as they deserved.

Angel witch oggi said:
P.S Tried to say hi on yourspace, but was creating a problem. "not your fault"

To say hello to me on Myspace you have a have an active myspace yourself and I must add to my friends. I would be honored to Dave.

Well, withouth a doubt you ended up in the right place to start of an internet carreer
We try to keep this forum as "clean" as possible, lots of other Metal forums have an overflow of assholes that just are there to make trouble. Our moderator Hawk insures that that won't happen here. Over the years people from all over the world have become real Metal brothers and sisters here !! If you hang around here you'll see !!

Yea let me explain Dave. A moderator is someone who keeps an eye on what is going on on a message board like this. When I see that someone is posting insulting messages I can delete these messages and warn the visitor that posted them. If that visitor keeps on posting insulting messages I can ban him. Meaning that I can block his access to this place.

For more info on this see here:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/old-school/192052-everyone-read-before-posting-forum.html

I hope this clears up some of your confusion

If you have any questions don't hold back just ask. I am here to help and I have all the time in the world. :)
Like carnut said this is a friendly place. In fact carnut is one of my best friends and I met him here.
In time you will discover that there is a whole lot more to this place than meets the eye.

Take care

Henri

Thanks Dave. Its actually not my doing. You can use a myspace editor.
A website that helps you design your myspace site.

I used this one:

http://www.mywackospace.com/myspace-editor/

Just play a little with it without expecting to much and you will get the hang of it. If you need help just click on my name 'Hawk' on the left of this message and a menu will appear. From that menu choose:

'Send private message to Hawk' and you will be able to send me a private message. After you have send me that message, that only I can see, an email is send of to me to warn me that I have a new private message.
And I will be able to answer you.

Wow! I never knew that! How stupid can you get! When the one of the biggest companies in the world is willing to sign you! Thats incredible!

It just sounded great to my ears! I remember hearing that and thinking Wow!! Do you now if that BBC session is available anywhere? And what tracks were recorded that evening? I only heard 'Extermination Day'. And thats my favorite track of Angel Witch. The sheer heaviness of that track. The vocals of Kevin are awesome!

Looks like Mr Heybourne senior was an idiot who did not know what the hell he was doing? Dave, I am thinking; why not do an interview with me about the history of Angel Witch? Would you be up for that? It would be published on this site:

http://www.digital-steel.com/DS/index.php

Maybe even Aardschok would be interested in such an interview!
Send me a Private Message! :)

Yea its a shame Angel Witch could have been so much bigger! A good and heavy production would have been essential for that debut.

Thanks SO MUCH for that Dave. As a historian I enjoyed that immensely! I hope you consider doing that interview with me. It would be great to share anecdotes about the early beginnings of Angelwitch and why they did not get as big as they deserved.

To say hello to me on Myspace you have a have an active myspace yourself and I must add to my friends. I would be honored to Dave.

Yea let me explain Dave. A moderator is someone who keeps an eye on what is going on on a message board like this. When I see that someone is posting insulting messages I can delete these messages and warn the visitor that posted them. If that visitor keeps on posting insulting messages I can ban him. Meaning that I can block his access to this place.

For more info on this see here:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/old-school/192052-everyone-read-before-posting-forum.html

I hope this clears up some of your confusion

If you have any questions don't hold back just ask. I am here to help and I have all the time in the world. :)
Like carnut said this is a friendly place. In fact carnut is one of my best friends and I met him here.
In time you will discover that there is a whole lot more to this place than meets the eye.

Take care

Henri
I tried to say hi on your space...........Having a problem at the moment.
The time is 11:35pm. I'm going downstairs, i'm gaggin' for a coffee.
I may be back later, if not . I'ill speak to you guys tomorrow:headbang: :headbang:

I tried to say hi on your space...........Having a problem at the moment.
The time is 11:35pm. I'm going downstairs, i'm gaggin' for a coffee.
I may be back later, if not . I'ill speak to you guys tomorrow:headbang: :headbang:

Hey Dave. I looked at your myspace and its looking good! I like the many Angel Witch pictures you put on there.

I am impressed!

I had a wee look at your MySpace as well Oggi - what can I say, absolutely brilliant photos, awesome!!!!

It was the Screaming & Bleedin vinyl that I saw on ebay selling for about £80 - it always seem to go for high prices!!!!

It's tragic really when you think about how big Angel Witch could have been, well SHOULD HAVE BEEN. Out of all the bands back then, only really Maiden and DefLeppard made it really massive and at one point in the 80s, Angel Witch were far more popular and bigger than those 2 bands. so just think how it all could have turned out if you had a half decent manager!!!. I suppose if your manager didn't know his arse from his elbow, then you were going to be having some big problems lol!!!! Obviously there are still other nwobhm bands out touring, like Saxon, Girlschool, Praying Mantis, Blitzkrieg etc., and I go and see those bands when they come to Glasgow. I havent seen PRaying Mantis for years, but I see Saxon usually at least once a yar and I saw Blitzkrieg just about 10 months ago - THEY WERE TOTALLY OUTSTANDING. That Brian Ross has still got one amazing voice, they were fabulous. And I saw Girlshcool last year when they supported Motorhead, and Girlschool are still as fantastic as ever.

Do you keep in touch with Kev? It would be great if youse could get back together again and put on a few gigs with say the likes of Blitzkrieg, Girlschool and Saxon - a little nwobhm festival would be mindblowing - JUST LIEK THE GOOD OLD DAYS OF THE 80s:headbang: !!!! Either way, the bottom line is this - ANGEL WITCH ARE ICONS - there's no other words to describe youse:D !!!!

Hey Princess.
Did you see the poser in stage gear on page 2 of my photo's?
This was inspired when playing in Glasgow.
My drum tech or "roadie" (SQUIRE) brought me a wide Tartan scarf in sauchiehall st
.........so i thought i would wear it as a mini kilt, over a pair of "thermal underwear pants" with odd coloured boots........
It stuck with me, and wore them all the time after that!!!!
And that was before AXLE ROSE...haha.