The Animation Appreciation Thread

I said probably, because you like that kiddy weirdo faggot shit, and most anime super popular in Japan these days is fanservice for InCels and content for memetards.

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
I said probably, because you like that kiddy weirdo faggot shit, and most anime super popular in Japan these days is fanservice for InCels and content for memetards.

Define "kiddy weirdo faggot shit". Kemono Friends and Kemurikusa are both relatively simple adventure shows. The former is more cutesy but it's not intrinsically weird, and neither are fanservicey (which is not the stuff most popular in Japan anyways). Fan service is anime is probably at its least prevalent right now than at any point since the 80s, if anything. Action shows were always full of tiddy and full-blown ecchi is usually limited to one or two lower-budget seasonal shows, relative to say the beginning of the 2000s where that shit was everywhere. Most shows don't even have nipples anymore because Japan has gotten more conservative in recent decades.

I never got around to watching Kanon but probably should. Between the various bug-eyed Key shows like it, and all the edgy fedora shit like Code Geass that was getting popular, the mid 2000s were probably the peak of my anti-weeb phase. But I discovered that I actually liked Clannad despite being pretty retarded and melodramatic, so I'd probably like Kanon too.

Define "kiddy weirdo faggot shit".

gdg.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

lky0s4r5al911.jpg

Kemono Friends

kemono_friends_review_4.jpg

Kemurikusa

kemurikusa-01-1.jpg

lmao.

I dunno I just can't get into this stuff that seems like it was either made for pillow-fuckers or kids with severe autism. The humour is way too self-aware that it's being ironic, the animation and characters are schizophrenic, jumping from one extreme to another like they have BPD, the way the animation has a norm and then randomly shifts into noodly-armed flailing and big head/tiny body screaming. It's just way too much for me, and on top of that I find the animation to usually be sterile.

I got into a very specific kind of anime and I've always had trouble transcending those accustomed preferences, and any interest I once had in Japanese culture when I was growing up is basically non-existent and the endless school girl/maid/sexualized 12 year old with a harem of big boobed cat women/incest tropes just don't interest me.

lol, how is a show about three yakuza members having their dicks chopped off and being forced to work as idol stars "kiddy weirdo faggot shit"? Back Street Girls is a crude, kinda dumb adult comedy about rape jokes, gender inequities, and struggling to pee standing up, little more. If anything it mocks idol fans and identity politics. It's not sexualized anymore than that South Park Jewish kid's dad identifying as a dolphin is sexualized, if you see it as fan service there's something wrong with you m8.

I can see a lot of reasons that one wouldn't like KF/Kemurikusa but I don't really understand the BPD criticism, if anything the 3DCG forces adherence to a very consistent animation style, since to deviate from the models ("noodly-armed flailing and big head/tiny body screaming") would require added effort. I don't know that I'd call the humor ironic, but it can be meta in a sense (subverted expectations), so I guess I get that. They're both more about the relaxing ambiance/atmosphere for me if anything tbh.

The "endless school girl/maid/sexualized 12 year old with a harem of big boobed cat women/incest tropes" pretty much died by the late 00s. The handful of shows like that that still get made are not very popular and you basically have to be seeking them out to find them. In any case I get the general perspective, I felt the same way until relatively recently (2013) when I began getting back into it. I was a Toonami kid that started with the typical DBZ action stuff, got into the more serious/"mature" Cowboy Bebop and whatnot, and then abandoned it when weebs began infesting all my gaming forums. I remember making a post on this forum several years ago along the lines of "The day I begin masturbating to hentai is the day I kill myself", and I've been waiting disappointed that no one has tried throwing that one back in my face.

What are your top anime btw?

It's not sexualized anymore than that South Park Jewish kid's dad identifying as a dolphin is sexualized, if you see it as fan service there's something wrong with you m8.

I didn't say that particular show was fan service (no idea I haven't even seen it, just Googled it and saw that it was some autistic cretin-tier shit), just that it sucks ass as a thing (fan service that is). I despise that ecchi shit and a lot of that is because one of my good high school friends was an InCel stereotype who loved shit like Onegai Teacher and Love Hina (and a billion other similar titles he paid exorbitant amounts for copies of) and he always tried to get me to watch it. He hated violent anime so I would always put on the Ninja Scroll film to fuck with him.

But I disagree, just from those few images I posted that's already a lot more sexualized than that South Park episode.

lol, how is a show about three yakuza members having their dicks chopped off and being forced to work as idol stars "kiddy weirdo faggot shit"?

lmao.

Back Street Girls is a crude, kinda dumb adult comedy about rape jokes, gender inequities, and struggling to pee standing up, little more.

Oh well I guess I was wrong about it, sounds amazing...

What are your top anime btw?

I don't watch anywhere near as many series as I should. My introduction to anime was through late night television airing *subbed movies so most of my favourites are movies and OVAs. I just C&P'd this from an earlier post in this thread: Dragon Ball/DBZ, Bubblegum Crisis, Inuyasha, Ranma ½, Ninja Scroll, Orphan, Fist of the North Star, Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X, Wolf's Rain, Royal Space Force, Appleseed OVA, Perfect Blue, Blood: The Last Vampire, Jin-Roh, Spriggan, Cowboy Bebop, Vampire Hunter D, Ghost in the Shell of course and Patlabor.

Last edited:
I don't know if you watch Western adult comedy, but Back Street Girls is far less sexually-oriented than most of it. It's basically a bro comedy only the joke is that the bros are turned into girls. It's like a Japanese Beverly Hillbillies, only about gender instead of social class. It's almost family friendly.

I'm surprised Ranma 1/2 doesn't qualify as sexual fanservice-y haremshit in your book, that show popularized it as much as any.

I'm surprised Ranma 1/2 doesn't qualify as sexual fanservice-y haremshit in your book, that show popularized it as much as any.

I agree it pretty much is, that's where my bias for animation styles comes into play. I'm not opposed to the theme or trend, whatever it is, it's more the combination of that with no action, the male cuckery going on in general coupled with the more modern animation style.

That said, I will check any anime out if it's a genuine recommendation. Many times I expected to hate a show and ended up liking it lol.

I agree it pretty much is, that's where my bias for animation styles comes into play. I'm not opposed to the theme or trend, whatever it is, it's more the combination of that with no action, the male cuckery going on in general coupled with the more modern animation style.

That said, I will check any anime out if it's a genuine recommendation. Many times I expected to hate a show and ended up liking it lol.

I wouldn't recommend any of the three aforementioned shows fwiw (though I did love them all personally).

Haven't seen Steins Gate, all I know is that one of the girls has a penis and that Mort had her as his avatar here for a while. That, and the show apparently has a bunch of Dr. Pepper product placements.

Haven't seen Steins Gate, all I know is that one of the girls has a penis and that Mort had her as his avatar here for a while.
GrandioseAromaticIndianrhinoceros-size_restricted.gif

Madoka (main series, didn't like the movie)
Gunsmith Cats
Welcome to the NHK
Dennou Coil
Nichijou
Houseki no Kuni
Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou
Kemono Friends
Made in Abyss
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
School Rumble
Slayers (only seen first season so far)
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
Tonari no Seki-kun

You liked Nichijou didn't you?

You might like Gunsmith Cats. Early 90s OVA with good production values typical of the time, it's a little fan servicey but in a more cheesecake way like Bubblegum Crisis (same designer). Not the cyberpunk atmosphere of Bubblegum Crisis but there's sort of a general tone similarity, a fair amount of action counter-balanced with some light-hearted comedy and cute characters. Basic buddy-cop plot about two Chicago gun dealers who are blackmailed by the government into performing extra-legal vigilante work. I'm sure there are movies from the 70s that do the same idea better, but in anime format it checks every possible entertainment box for me.

EDIT: Oh and the jazzy soundtrack might appeal if that was a selling point of Cowboy Bebop for you, and apparently a key animator of the Bebop movie (which I haven't seen) worked on the show's animation as well.

Everything else on my list has things that would probably be deal-breakers for you, if not wholly repulsive.

Reactions: CiG
What the effing hell happened to the gap of time when everyone was just referring to dragon-ball-z any time anyone ever said "anime" or "Japanese cartoon"??