The August Engine -- revisited roundtable for those of you who have it

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Well, it's been a while, but the album keeps popping up in our tournament lists and I listened to it today for the first time in months. Most people here have it so maybe you can play along.

If you have a few minutes....

Go to track #4, "The August Engine part 2" and skip forward to around the 4:30 mark and listen alll the way through to the end of the song. Unbelievable musicianship / songwriting. I mean, it's mind boggling.

That song makes this album sounds like it's some lost metal gem from the 70's. The way the acoustic guitars mesh with the electric.

And then as if fate would have it, the next song, "Insect" is so perfectly placed, the stars are aligned for this immaculate continuity. Perfect song, again highlighting acoustics/electrics, tube amps retro galore.

And this is all BEFORE "Doomed Parade" which is possibly the best song on the album.

So anyway, I'm defining 'near-perfection' and offering up very specific evidence. Have a listen from the moment I suggest in track #4 -- agree/disagree, but at least you get an idea of what planet I'm on.

:worship:

Agreed with those points, but for me the best interplay between the acoustic and electric has to be when the opening track merges into Rainfall...yes, I still can't get over how incredible that segue is...and as fun as Slough Feg can be, they seem very superfluous after listening to A Room and A Riddle, which rocks like a (why resist the obvious?) bastard.

10/10 BUY OR DIE, I think that every time I spin it.

The climax of the guitar solo in part 2 of the title-track is one of the most AMAZING moments in the history of music. It's so fucking brilliant and perfect that it doesn't even make sense. You don't make things like that up, because they happen on such a higher realm than humanity can even comprehend, they simply happen with no apparent explanation. I mean it's practically channeling some unknown force.

The transition between part 1 and Rainfall has been a regular "hey check this shit out" music bit of mine for various people since the first time I heard it.

NADatar said:
The climax of the guitar solo in part 2 of the title-track is one of the most AMAZING moments in the history of music. It's so fucking brilliant and perfect that it doesn't even make sense.

You can't describe this album without writing a thesis. And even then, you've only scratched the surface.

I wonder how many people have listened to this properly? I'm not talking about having it on in the background, but instead just stopping everything to focus on the music and nothing else.

There is SO much going on, whether it be the vocal harmonies or bass lines. It's unreal.

JayKeeley said:
but instead just stopping everything to focus on the music and nothing else.

One of my highschool teachers told us this was impossible in this day and age for some reason o_O:lol:

An album like this deserves it, especially for the vocal harmonies.

You know what's frustrating? Reading interviews where the band discusses the original concept of The August Engine as a huge 2-cd work with a much more obvious/consistant story.

Demilich said:
You know what's frustrating? Reading interviews where the band discusses the original concept of The August Engine as a huge 2-cd work with a much more obvious/consistant story.
Wow.

This was one of those albums that the first time I listened to it, I could tell something special was going on, but at the same time, I really enjoyed the first spin. Generally speaking, classic albums don't hit me immediately like that, usually I don't really like them but a thing or two will catch my ear that reminds me I need to dive in and really focus on it at a later date. I remember when JayK found these dudes (via a tossed off promo from Nate, right?), his excellent review, and I took the plunge. Definite Top 5 Moments in RC History right there.

Jim LotFP said:
What pisses me off greatly about this album is I lost the CDr I got in May 2002 that had all the extra songs on it somewhere in the move from Atlanta to Florida in summer 04. :(

Outstanding.

How many extra tracks where there? I thought it was just one and that it made it's way over to The Locust Years.

I sent Cobbet a note offering up the cash to release the song(s) on an MCD and/or 7" but alas, zero response.