The band bullshit thread

Vimana

Mar 2, 2007
Post any bullshit you are having with your band(s).

In my band I have some problems. Well, there are three people in our band including me, the bassist doesn't really suggest anything while we're making songs or anything and I try and push my friends to make songs the whole time. My friend who is the keyboardist hates Metal so he doesn't like my Metal guitar riffs, and my friend who is the bassist thinks my Rock riffs are too complicated. The way everything gets made is I just push them with my riffs and stuff to make a song, my friend who is the keyboardist tells me constantly its off beat and will never work, so when he comes up with something I'm just tired of not having any songs that we made so I just let him make something. The keyboardists constantly borrows my guitar and plays it more than he plays keyboard during the meetings, and he's a hell of a lot better at keyboard than guitar. So we end up having simple semi-good instrumental tunes. My friend who is the keyboardist rejects my ideas a lot, I put this noise in the background of this ambient sorta song we made and it was a combination of a lot of notes and my friend says "it sounds really annoying, take it out". He also said I shouldn't be the singer or lyricist yet he has never attempted songwriting and he is embarassed to even sing.

Dismiss the band right now even if they are your best friend.Find another guys who have the same goal with you-Playing metal music.You can't come up with great music with someone who don't share the same music taste or theme with you.How could you find a keyboardist who dislike metal??what kind of music do you guys want to play??

Yeah probably. That is true, but it isn't so much the whole band, just one member.

my old band sacrilicious had a vocalist who was a total cockstar. "i've been doin this for 3783853 years...". ego= bad!

he also used to throw halford screams into our songs, and we're playing a mid paced thrash/death blend. obviously no sense of what fits the music

he was a better front man than me though. i'm terrible when speaking to a crowd
~gR~

I bought a cassette four-track, a bass guitar, and a drumset so that I wouldn't need any tools backing me up. (LOL at the fact that I'm literally using "tools" to back me up). I can do aaannyyyy kind of music I want. (And I do!)

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to play in a band. But there's no way I could ever put up with all that shit, like what you guys are describing here. I've tried it may times and had some one-off gigs and plenty of CSNY-type joint-dealys. But it's just not something I could ever deal with. I play music so that I DON'T have to deal with people, rules, regulations, societal structures, idiots, egos, etc. If you add all of that stuff in there by putting me in a band, I'm not going to do music at all.

Feathers,

Seriously find other guys to jam with. I've been playing keyboards in metal for 20+ years and I've heard all kinds of ideas, lots of lame ones but I still go through with them. I usually suggest stuff that is more involved vs droning but anyway it sounds like this guy isnt the best to work with, he doesnt even like metal thats a big no no right off the bat.

As far as the bassist goes, if he's not willing to step up then get rid of him.

I'm usually not fond of the dictator attitude in bands, its should completely be a compromise however in this case you have a non-metal guy telling you how to play metal and you have another guy that can play riffs. Time to get with guys that have the same musical tastes and play at the same level of you if not better. Playing with guys better than you only makes you excel as musician.

Yeah he does act like too much of a dictator, it is annoying, but anyway he made the ambient stuff and right now I am making Experimental Metal.

He also doesn't realize he isn't working nearly as hard as I am. He only made up a couple things on keyboard and I made a ton of guitar riffs, and he's been playing keyboard for a lot longer than I've been playing guitar. He's just lazy and inexperienced with recording and what goes into music. He just wants to make songs that he likes and that take no work or any practice to play, he's very impatient. One time when we were recording a song he said "we both play at the same time and record that and repeat it". I said "That won't sound good in Audacity its hard to space it all right and it will take a long time, why don't we just play the whole song?" So we played and he messed up and he said "No lets just record it and repeat it". I said "We will never be able to play any of our songs live if we don't practice". At another band meeting before that I came up with this riff and I asked him if he could make something on keyboard so we can layer it. So I play the riff and after not even a minute he says "it will always be off beat unless I'm playing the same thing as you are". And that day he also said he wanted to quit the band, he said he wanted us to be the "best band ever". I don't understand him, he's way too hard to work with. I think what our band needs is:
1) A drummer
2) A rhythm guitarist
3) A vocalist

Here is our Myspace

In the song called "3" I played the intro. The rest was played by my friend (the hard to work with one), he isn't nearly as good at guitar as I am.

My friend who plays bass is a very good beatmaker.

Here is his music myspace

"Set lasers to stun" is my favorite song by him. I think when he gets good at bass he will create some very good basslines.

And here is My music Myspace (I have some Metal and Punk riffs but haven't recorded them yet)

I listenend, its really simple you are playing with the wrong people. Wasting your time and not getting better. Hook up with other players that are better than yourself and learn. Forget about being the main guitar player or main man in a band. THeres time for all that later.

First band I was in the guitar player was better than me, for about 6 months than I had more going on and ideas I could get no where with... with them. The second band was a metal band and I had a learning curve coming from hardrock/blues/funk roots, there was arguements because I kept drawing from my past references but I kept insisting there was a connection and I just needed to make it. After a year I had grown beyond that guitarest too and he could not play the stuff I was coming up with. In the mean time between the two bands I had learned somewhere between 60-80 simple cover tunes that we giged out with.

Eventually just the drummer, bass/vocalist and myself were left. Then we got down to business. The bass/vocalist and I were the ones that used to go round and round because I was "not metal" enough, he was 11 years younger than me. In the end we both discovered we had the same progressive/concept visions and co wrote together excellently. We would sit and work on each others stuff together without any stress and let the ideas flow. We had found the link between my old school hardrock/heavy blues and his 80's metal influences. Some pretty fair amature music prevailed that was mostly unlike anything on the market. We had found "the right person" to play and create with.

Bottom line: get out of Dodge and do some apprentice work elsewhere, always obsorbing, you'll never know what youll find out there.

I've been in two bands so far.

The first band lasted for a month, but then split up because we all wanted differant things music wise. I still keep in contact with two of the members because, well, they are good friends.

The second one I am in now is going a large ammount of no-where (in fact, it barely counts as a band then) due to people being busy in real life.

If you're at all serious about getting a band together to go somewhere, you all need to be of the same mindset, which you're not. You and your friends all need to play in different bands and not together because it's not working out.

OK so heres my band bullshit horror sob story. :rolleyes:

The last band, the second one I was in, was from 89 - 92 , yea along f'in time ago. After the other guitar player left to pursue a family and work on his own stuff. We were just a three piece and decided to do something with all the ideas we had floating around and forget about playing the bar/cover band scene. So we broke our asses two nights a week, for 3-4 months writing and arranging about an hours worth of 6th grade level semi progressive metal, fused with my hardrock/blues boogie with a touch of funk on the side. Good ? Probably not in most ears but it was good for us and where we were two years prior. All this stuff was spun together by Todd the vocalist/bass player into a concept tale.

We were practicing at the house, Joe, our drummer was living in with his girlfriend and he needed to get out, so we needed a place to practice. We also needed a second guitar player.

There was these two brothers, one played bass and one guitar. The bass player was fairly well gifted and his brother definantly good enough for our talents but not really a metal/prog man. The bass player freed up Todd so he could consentrate on singing. They had a place to practice and we moved.

Our songs were a bit complicated to memorize and a bit off the hook in those days, so things became laborous from the beginning. Now both of these brothers were lazy but talented. We started with our easier more straight forward songs, while learning some of theirs. Within a month we had learned 4 new cover songs, 4 of their origionals and they, only two of ours. So I began to go alone, one night a week, to work with them with the idea of getting these songs together so we could do short origional gigs.

I would show up and they would start working me. Things like - "I would be so much better if I played with better players" and how we should just "scrap" all our hard work and start back from square one. So it became obvious that they did not join our band but that we had joined theirs. Plus, they were friends with our drummer and he spent time there as well when Todd(bass/vocals/co writer) and I werent around. I knew they were working him too and he was caving. I held up about another month and one night everything came to a head with me ready to kick some ass, but well restrained, I stated my piece, packed up my gear, including the PA system and that was the end of it. They trudged on with another extremely talented but lazy guitar player for a month and that imploded too. Now, nobody was playing in a band anymore........ Within a few years everyone barely touched their instruments. We had no place to practice. Todd and I got together a few times after that and everytime the subject came up all he would say wss "we never should have gone there". Then life got in the way and we rarely ran into each other or kept in contact.

Just this past winter Todd and I played together again twice and once again he sadly said "we never should have gone there". He still lived the dream and thought about those songs, as I had been. We made a vow to get it back together and finally record them just for our own good, just so we would have them to listen to, the way we wanted them to sound. Within one month from then, this past May, he died at the age of 38 and you really cant imagine the impact. Now these days, Joe - the drummer and I get together in my basement twice a month and jam, in a totally lost state. We have fun though.

Too little, too late. You cant get it back and life has no rewind. Music in the veins runs a close second to sex in ecstasy and losing a worthy band can be nearly as painfull as losing a lover.

Theres a kid at my school who likes GN'R as much as me (maybe more) and he plays guitar. I don't know him enough to join his band, they might already have enough guitarists. Plus I wouldn't do good as a rhythm guitarist, I've always been better at soloing than coming up with riffs.

I think I would do better making music by myself, I don't know anyone who is as experimental and changing of style as me. I actually have about 6 different sounds.

Blues, Metal, Rock, Experimental, Electronic, and Creepy.

The sounds I use most are Blues and Metal.

But yeah being in a band does change your sound and can make it better.

I listenend, its really simple you are playing with the wrong people. Wasting your time and not getting better. Hook up with other players that are better than yourself and learn. Forget about being the main guitar player or main man in a band. THeres time for all that later.

First band I was in the guitar player was better than me, for about 6 months than I had more going on and ideas I could get no where with... with them. The second band was a metal band and I had a learning curve coming from hardrock/blues/funk roots, there was arguements because I kept drawing from my past references but I kept insisting there was a connection and I just needed to make it. After a year I had grown beyond that guitarest too and he could not play the stuff I was coming up with. In the mean time between the two bands I had learned somewhere between 60-80 simple cover tunes that we giged out with.

Eventually just the drummer, bass/vocalist and myself were left. Then we got down to business. The bass/vocalist and I were the ones that used to go round and round because I was "not metal" enough, he was 11 years younger than me. In the end we both discovered we had the same progressive/concept visions and co wrote together excellently. We would sit and work on each others stuff together without any stress and let the ideas flow. We had found the link between my old school hardrock/heavy blues and his 80's metal influences. Some pretty fair amature music prevailed that was mostly unlike anything on the market. We had found "the right person" to play and create with.

Bottom line: get out of Dodge and do some apprentice work elsewhere, always obsorbing, you'll never know what youll find out there.

Pretty much none of the stuff in the band was my idea. Not even the name (which I think sucks BTW). I mean Man In A Bear Suit? Come on. That name would never make it to any record label. I don't even know if they want to make it anywhere as a band, but I may be wrong. They might just be doing this for fun and might not be as serious as I am. The keyboardist of our band isn't very open, he rejects all ideas but his. I don't think he understands what a band is about. Being in a band is about working with other peoples ideas and adding on to them, he's doing the opposite. I think he might figure out what being in a band is about.

I have been in a few bands now as well, in every case each person had a different taste in metal. They all lvoed metal but they had their own style and my most successful band was a hybrid band essentially. Every person brought a really unique taste to the music and everyone respected everyone's taste and what they contributed. It made for some really good music. Fucked up thing is that two out of the five members of that band died within a fuckin' year. That is flat out fucked up, and eventually we jsut stopped playing. I think different tastes in music is good if everyone is good friends, open minded and willing to find way to combine everything into something they all like.

heres some bullshit

people that wanna be in 5 bands at once

and a drummer that says he's been playing for 5 years and took lessons from some professional. after dodging out on about 5 jams we finally get him behind the set and he couldnt even play a simple beat