The band bullshit thread

We did try forming a little goregrind side project, just for amusement...problem is, our rhythm guitarist is the only one with any recording equipment...I actually started a metal club at my school in the hopes of finding a new band, but just wound up with all the rejects and stoners. Hopefully once I get to college I can find some people actually interested in playing metal.

Power metal doesn't really seem like something that would be consistent with a colonial theme. Honestly, I like the idea, but I think that rather than focusing on power metal, you should focus more on folk metal influences, but base your style around early North American music, as opposed to European medieval music. I'd recommend studying the types of music that were actually prevalent in North America at that time, especially fuguing tunes. Hymns and chorals are probably the other big two influences, but not as exclusive to North America.

Also, I would think having a poor singer would sound more authentic to the theme :p

Power metal doesn't really seem like something that would be consistent with a colonial theme. Honestly, I like the idea, but I think that rather than focusing on power metal, you should focus more on folk metal influences, but base your style around early North American music, as opposed to European medieval music. I'd recommend studying the types of music that were actually prevalent in North America at that time, especially fuguing tunes. Hymns and chorals are probably the other big two influences, but not as exclusive to North America.

Also, I would think having a poor singer would sound more authentic to the theme :p

We're gonna use flute scales adapted for guitar, not medieval music. We aren't really going for a big classical influence, keyboards will mostly just be texturing stuff. Lyrically, colonial themes are perfect for power metal. I really can't see some black metal dude screaming about the boston tea party, or a death metal type growling about King Phillip's War.

The main problem is that I'd rather be playing in a Viking-themed quasi-melodic blackened thrash band. Which is sorta what I had in mind when I started the band.

Colonial metal sounds like crap but i agree some folk influences would help, some power metal vocals mixed with growls or something like that you can use past elements of that time like previously told idk like some trumpets?:rofl:
nvm my opinion its kind of stupid :rofl:

I think Power Metal is the least compatible with Colonial themes. I think people shouldn't go for some crazy idea in order to sound unique. Its better to sound good than unique. I've listened to Experimental Metal Reggae, and judging by the influence list I seriously doubt the band members were big Marley, Floyd, and Sabbath fans. I think they just wanted to mix those together because it would sound unique. But they sounded like crap.

If you really want to sound unique listen to a bunch of different styles, find your favorite elements of those styles. Then piece them together. Don't just think of a crazy idea and do it. The way I have my sound is listening to Rap and Metal. I picked out my favorite element of Metal: Edge, and my favorite element of Rap is flow so I put those together.