the best album you never heard in your life

O'blivion

blood flowing skywards
Sep 15, 2001
E-town
ISIS - Celestial

i've had this album for over a year and yet every time i listen to it, it never ceases to amaze me. nothing sounds like ISIS except ISIS. get it. absorb it. love it. there's nothing more i can say.

the title is a parody of the Frank Zappa album "The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life." it has an amazing jazzy cover of Stairway to Heaven on it. anyway. . .

like i said, they're a very unknown band. they're working on a new album, but their web site isn't up and running yet. here's the link for future reference: ISIS

the ISIS sound is very hard to describe. sometimes very heavy and dynamic, almost crushing in some places. soemtimes it's soft and trippy, kind of Like Pink Floyd. overall, i'd say they sound like Radiohead would if they played metal........and had a lot more talent. they sound so different though. their approach to riffing is very original, and i really can't make any comparisons to anything i have heard.

i suggest downloading songs like Glisten, Gentle Time, Celestial (The Tower), Collapse and Crush, Deconstructing Towers, Divine Mother, and Swarm Reigns (Down.) you'll be able to find them on audiogalaxy.

note: i find Celestial sounds best on a pair good headphones, because of the immense thickness of the music.

Originally posted by Xenomorph
ISIS!! They are very cool. Nice that you have enlighten yourself. :headbang:

And I think Isis sound a littel bit like Neurosis.

actually, ISIS is supported by Neurosis. The next album is coming out on Neurot Recordings, Neurosis' record label. Neurosis has said many times that they think ISIS is the future of progressive, challenging music. ISIS played at Neurosis' Beyond the Pale festival as well.

well Neurosis is one of my favourite bands. ISIS don't really sound like them, though. i suppose it's the closest comparison that can be made, but like i said, no one sounds like ISIS. it's as if they're from another planet.........which is the whole theme of Celestial. it's meant to be signal being transmitted through space and received on earth. this is of course the purpose of the tracks "sgnl>1," "sgnl>2," "sgnl>3," and "sgnl>4." Have you heard the Sgnl>5 EP? it's their first release on NR. it has three new songs and a really cool remix of Celestial (The Tower.)

Have you heard the Sgnl>5 EP? it's their first release on NR. it has three new songs and a really cool remix of Celestial (The Tower

Yes i have! Very cool EP. Im looking forward to the new album.

i suppose it's the closest comparison that can be made

I agree with that! Have you heard Cult of Luna? They really sound like Neurosis IMO.

well i did get that album well over a year ago too...and then the add on for it Sgnl_5, have you got that too? as ive read above now, you do :lol: yeah whats that other band, theyre meant to be like isis, old man gloom, get that. ISIS = good, first and 4th songs are great, haent listened in awhile though

I agree with that! Have you heard Cult of Luna? They really sound like Neurosis IMO.

no, i haven't. but if they sound anything like Neurosis, they have to be good. i'll check them out today.

Old Man Gloom is cool.

What can I say...The best album is Still Life. Sorry guys...

when did i say Celestial was the "best" album you'll ever hear? the title says it's the best album you've probably never heard in your life. there is a difference.

Scenes From a Memory is abhorrent at best. of the 200+ cds i bought in the last year or so, it was the only one that was a complete waste of my money. i gave it about ten listens for good measure, and it got worse every time. balless, soulless, self-absorbed psuedo-metal. Dream Theater is a joke. . .

The best album ever is made by Iron Maiden. But witch one of these?

The-Number-Of-The-Beast.gif

Piece-Of-Mind.gif

PowerSlave.gif

Live-After-Death.gif

none of these is which one...

although i have to say the one with Eddy on the front is the best :p

hey have you got the Eddy (or is it Eddie) Hunter PC game? i saw it in the cd section, probably some crappy platform game.

Originally posted by _Transparent_
none of these is which one...

although i have to say the one with Eddy on the front is the best :p

hey have you got the Eddy (or is it Eddie) Hunter PC game? i saw it in the cd section, probably some crappy platform game.

that game sucks ass
its some shitty first person shooter
bad gaphics, bad pretty much everything

This band, ISIS, is already on my "check out" list for a while.

Here's straight from digitalmetal.com:

Boston's ISIS have officially confirmed they've signed over to Mike Patton's Ipecac label (Fantomas, Melvins) for the follow-up to 2000's Celestial opus.
ISIS frontman Aaron Turner revealed to DigitalMetal the band's new material is "more melodic and psychedelic" and can, in part, be compared to Scottish post-rock outfit Mogwai. Turner says ISIS will finish recording their as-yet-untitled second full-length on May 15. The effort is being recorded by Matt Bayles (Mastodon, Burnt By The Sun) at both Fort Apache and New Alliance Studios in Boston. ISIS will then take the recordings to Outpost Studios, where Celestial was recorded, for mixing.

So far a total of seven songs are slated for the record, all of which are long and epic with heavy and textural riffs. So far "Serenity" and "His Own Light" are the only two songs titled.

In similar news, look out for a remixed version of Mosquito Control by Bayles. Mosquito Control is out now on Escape Artist Records, and features a "fuller" sound compared to the original mix. Also, Turner says that his alter ego in Old Man Gloom will record the follow-up to last year's acclaimed Seminar suite in August. Titled, Christmas, the album will again be issued by Tortuga Recordings (Quitter, 5IVE) sometime in the fall.

ISIS's new album is slated for a late summer, early fall release on Ipecac Records. More news on ISIS as it becomes available.

d:

D:

thanks for the update! i didn't know they switched labels again for the new album.

The Mosquito Control EP is great, as is the Red Sea EP.

Xenomorph:

i've listened to some Cult of Luna. The do have a middle-era Neurosis sound, as well as a little ISIS feel to them. very cool band. thanks:)