The best albums of 2008 thread

Wtf? I think it's a grand album!

Just spoke to Mr. Gold last night and reconciled any differences we may have had between us in the past :lol: I'm glad.

But anyway

Those of you who have listened to the new woods of ypres, would you say its a grower or did it automatically click? few songs I heard didn't do much for me.

Most songs automatically clicked for me. There are a few on there that I could never, and still can't, get into. Overall, though, I think it's a really good album. Not sure where I'd rank it in the WoY discography....

well,

Against the Seasons >>>>>>>>> Deepest Roots >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pursuit of the Sun

edit: quality varies inversely with length of title

But anyway

Those of you who have listened to the new woods of ypres, would you say its a grower or did it automatically click? few songs I heard didn't do much for me.

Definitely a grower. I hated it at first. It doesn't really get good for me until track three. Just make sure you have the image of the album cover in your head when you listen to it.

WOODS OF YPRES - "Woods 3" is the #1 Top Seller at The End Records, two weeks in a row!!! Thanks to everyone who helped us achieve this!

For those interested in helping us keep this momentum going who DON'T yet have a 'real' copy of W3, here's the direct link to order: http://www.theomegaorder.com/s.nl/it.A/id.18694/.f

Thanks to anyone who supports what we're doing!

DG - \w/

Honestly, I think this year is going to be huge. This Mars Volta album is fucking IMMENSE. Then we have the Orodruin 10", Manilla Road, Fall of The Idols, possibly WHW, and others I cant even remember right now...wtf.

So far, this is what I like (in alphabetical order):

Ayreon - 01011001
Not as good as The Human Equation, and it took a couple spins to sink in, but I like it now. It's not top 10 material, but it's a buy.

Biomechanical - Cannibalised
Once I got past the muddy production, I learned to love the insanity on display here. It's just as over-the-top and bombastic as their previous outings, which I liked. It won't win you over if you didn't like Empire of the Worlds, but if you did, here's another helping of pretty much the same.

Enemy of the Sun - Shadows
Better than the last 2 Grip Inc. discs, but not as good as the first 2. Worth buying, IMO. I'm sure others will disagree.

The Mars Volta - The Bedlamn in Goliath
Took a couple spins to sink in. I now love it. I doubt they'll ever top De-Loused, but this is better than Frances the Mute and probably a tie with Amputechture.

Meshuggah - Obzen
They mix their sound from Nothing with their sound from Chaosphere. It works for me. Better than Catch 33 and I, but not as good as Nothing.

Sculptured - Embodiment
Wow, totally not what I was expecting. The horns are gone. They're replaced with prog keyboards. And they finally got a decent drummer behind the kit. He might be a bit over the top for most Sculptured fans, but I like it. Once I got past the change in direction, it grew on me very quickly. This is my #1 for the year right now. Just great stuff. But, what's with the lyrics? Bodies without organs? WTF?

To-Mera - Delusions
Prog metal that doesn't forget to include the prog (i.e. complexity, which is what prog is supposed to mean). Julie's vocals are as great as always. They added some horns to the mix in a few places. I like it a lot.

So, it's shaping up to be a pretty good year so far. I don't ever recall liking this many releases this early in the year.

Okay - slated for the year so far, off the top of my head:

Revelation (awesome)
The Mars Volta (awesome)
Apostle of Solitude
Orodruin
The Gates of Slumber
Airged L'amh
Valkyrie
Heathendom
Bigelf
Dantesco
Manilla Road
Argus
Fall of the Idols
Zero Hour
The Evpatoria Report

...and Im sure there is more that I am forgetting as well as the releases that come out of thin air.

THE GREAT 2008 :headbang:

I downloaded the new Meshuggah but have not listened because I'm waiting for the release date. Good to hear others like it so far, but I've never been disappointed by them.

Kayo Dot and Silver Mt. Zion albums upcoming, very much looking forward to those. I already know the SMZ will rule face because I heard all the songs live at least a year ago, and holy living fuck, they were absolutely incredible. One Million Died to Make This Sound is fucking haunting.

The new Mars Volta didn't do much for me, but I hated Amputechture.