The best blastbeats

morningstar said:
I myself don't like blast beats a lot, because I find it to be a very simple technique, which requires mostly train for speed,
Well you could change it up a bit with some interesting cymbol work as well, nothing in music is set in stone. Davide Piovesan had some awesome blast b eats on Ephel Duath's ealier work, now he uses a very jazz style.

When it comes to playing music, I've always valued style over speed. This is my aspect in blastbeats also. I think that Kai Hahto from Rotten Sound has the most intense touch in blast beats. He varies with symbals and adds great fills in rapid bpm's, which makes his battering original and impressive.

i cant find a great drummer being held as great just of how fast he can do blastbeats...

thats just lame.

Moonlapse said:
This is sort of a shoot-off of the 'Favourite drummer' thread. To all those of you who actually appreciate blastbeats to some extent, who do you think nails them the best? Different drum sounds, different drummers, different accenting all contribute to different sounds...

My personal favourite is Trym. He is by god, the fucking master of extreme drumming. I'm listening to Emperor's 'Prometheus' at the moment and it's just re-embedding in my mind that nothing in extreme metal has touched this album, nor the pure technical mastery of the drumming.

Prometheus is fantastic but its 100% triggered, A better judge of his drumming is on Zyklons most recent album.

I believe that drummers in metal should be judged on their live performance as this is unedited and shows the drummers true ability.

Alteredmindeath said:
Pete Sandoval from Morbid Angel invented blast beats back in 1986. If you want all out guts and blood blast beats, Frost kicks some major ass in his band 1349. When I put in their album Liberation, and blasted the stereo up I noticed the whole cd is like flying to hell with the devil.

Billy Cobham of Mahavishnu orchestra invented blasts in the 1970's