The best blastbeats

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
This is sort of a shoot-off of the 'Favourite drummer' thread. To all those of you who actually appreciate blastbeats to some extent, who do you think nails them the best? Different drum sounds, different drummers, different accenting all contribute to different sounds...

My personal favourite is Trym. He is by god, the fucking master of extreme drumming. I'm listening to Emperor's 'Prometheus' at the moment and it's just re-embedding in my mind that nothing in extreme metal has touched this album, nor the pure technical mastery of the drumming.

100% agreement; Trym is something else. His cymbal work, musicality (on top of his incredible speed) and overall approach is just amazing.

Do you people think that we're going to hear blastbeats on the new Opeth album?
I don't.

And the best blastbeats. I like Dave Suzuki from Vital Remains and George Kollias from Nile.

I was thinking Emperor's Prometheus as well as soon as I saw the thread title, they pretty much nailed it down to an art on that album.

and lol @ the name "Dave Suzuki"... never heard of him but there's this famous canadian scientist named "David Suzuki" who does childrens shows and stuff in Canada. I was like wtf, did he convert to the ways of BM? :lol:

I didn't even know names of those drummers so I had to use the mighty google.
And for some reason I think that it's not the same Suzuki :lol:

Trym is great. Hellhammer is brilliant also. But for blast mastery you can't beat Frost's effort at the end of the track "Scorn Torrent" on the Satyricon album Rebel Extravaganza....utter brutality. I am now listening to the latest Frozen Shadows album "Hantises" and his drumming is pretty impressive too. Also enjoy greatly the blasts of Sechtdaemon of Myrkskog.

Grind on...

I agree, Trym is pretty amazing... Although I'm not 100% sure what blastbeats are. I thought they were when drummers use the snare quickly as in black metal... Can someone clear this up for me please? I don't want to sound like a friggin noob but heh... I don't want to think I have the wrong idea.

I was just listening to Prometheus like 2 days ago... it's friggin awesome... Worth the $14.99 though I got the other emperors for $5 lol, reissues... they're great.

Oinkness said:
I agree, Trym is pretty amazing... Although I'm not 100% sure what blastbeats are. I thought they were when drummers use the snare quickly as in black metal... Can someone clear this up for me please? I don't want to sound like a friggin noob but heh... I don't want to think I have the wrong idea.

I was just listening to Prometheus like 2 days ago... it's friggin awesome... Worth the $14.99 though I got the other emperors for $5 lol, reissues... they're great.

i got the first 3 emperor albums for 5 bucks a piece too, CM, right?

Alternative 3 said:
Who Invented blastbeats?
funny you ask that. i saw this interview recently with morbid angel, and pete sandoval claimed he invented them haha. it was a funny interview, i posted a link for it in some other thread, i dont recall which though.

Yeah man, CM! I got 4 of them though. I think one was a demo + an EP, wrath of the tyrant though I still consider it a good purchase, especially for $5, cause hearing other great band demos inspires me to create music of my own... Sure, I'm no Emperor - not even at emperor noob-level.. but im working on it....

There are a few really good blast beat drummers i reckon, trym is definatley in there, on the emperor dvd hes a fucking machine. The bezerker drummer is just stupidly fast.
Nicholas Barker aswell, on the Dimmu album puritanical eurphoic misanthropia, track 2 'blessing on thy throan of tyranny'. The immortal drummer is also amazing. Morbid Angel drummer aswell.

I think Blast beats are used to much.

I like them when they fit the music well. It`s not very complicated to just play em.

I like the use of them in Setherials "Hell Eternal" album.

affinityband said:
There are a few really good blast beat drummers i reckon, trym is definatley in there, on the emperor dvd hes a fucking machine. The bezerker drummer is just stupidly fast.
Nicholas Barker aswell, on the Dimmu album puritanical eurphoic misanthropia, track 2 'blessing on thy throan of tyranny'. The immortal drummer is also amazing. Morbid Angel drummer aswell.

The bezerker.. tsk tsk..

The drummer in The Berzerker are fairly good yes :) I recall him having the world record in "the most one-hand-strokes in X time" a couple of years ago. Am I wrong?

I saw Trym play with Satyricon last year...definitely a treat. Such a clean drummer. Another clean drummer who's blasts I really love are Pete Sandoval's...listen to Terrorizer - World Downfall. I'm reading this book right now and basically when he joined Morbid Angel in 1988 he was kind've incapable of doing double bass. But being the hardest working drummer he is(or was), he used to practice over and over and over in the MA basement to where he would pass out in a puddle of his own sweat. After the Morbid dudes would wake him up he'd insist on practicing more and would continue drumming. Back in the day, the early Birmingham Grindcore bands started blasting with basically an all out, carefree punk attitude...Pete basically just made it more musical.
As for other drummers..I really like Brodequin's Chad Walls on the "Festival of Death" album. Derek Roddy was the fastest drummer I've ever seen live. (with Hate Eternal)
Tim Yeung definitely is pleasant to listen to. Cryptopsy's Flo...also Lykathea Aflame's drummer who basically worships Flo hah.

Skrikmusik said:
The drummer in The Berzerker are fairly good yes :) I recall him having the world record in "the most one-hand-strokes in X time" a couple of years ago. Am I wrong?
He was the fastest but the new record is 18/second or something like that.

Trym, the best blaster ever, indeed. Hellhammer isn't that much of a blaster, his style is much more subtle.

Trym is definitely my favorite blastbeat drummer, with my favorite Trym moments being those insanely fast parts in YE ENTRANCEMPERIUM. On the DVD it's amazing to watch him do those, seemingly effortlessly. And I agree, his cymbal work is masterful. Curse You All Men! comes to mind, especially with those staggered blastbeats that he does.