The best electronic music samples?

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
So this is a genre that's slightly beyond the scope of what I'm spending most of my time doing, BUT I really want to learn how to go about constructing good electro drum loops, samples etc.

Are there any good stock drum packs that are a good starting point? I'm talking the 'Slate' of the electro world. Are there any go-to, great starting points I should be looking to?

Any help appreciated! (smy, get in here!!)

Most of the time, the drum loops are sampled from existing albums (most famously, the ubiquitous Amen Break), or done yourself with a drum machine (most famous ones being the Roland TR-909 and TR-808). There's many software versions of them available, plus other drum machine stuff. You can also just download or buy (better selection) some huge drum sample packs and use them with a sampler in drum mode.

Have fun :) It's all about experimentation!

Toontrack is supposedly coming out with something that sounds exactly like what you're looking for. Seeing as it isn't out yet I probably didn't help out at all, did I?

Most of the time, the drum loops are sampled from existing albums (most famously, the ubiquitous Amen Break), or done yourself with a drum machine (most famous ones being the Roland TR-909 and TR-808). There's many software versions of them available, plus other drum machine stuff. You can also just download or buy (better selection) some huge drum sample packs and use them with a sampler in drum mode.

Have fun :) It's all about experimentation!

Yes I noticed that D16 Group did some stellar emulations of the 909 and 808. But these days would we be better off using something more flexible like Battery or Stylus RMX?

Are there any of these huge sample libraries that you can point to?

I'm not sure if they're allowed to be posted here, judging from what happened in the Roland DM-5 sample thread. If you must, go to a site related to "avast ye scurvy landlubbers", and search for "Drummachine WAV-Samples" (without quotes).

Forgot to say that there's a FUCKLOAD of samples in that pack :lol:

Acetone Rhythm-Ace
Acetone Rhythm-King
Acetone Rhythm-Master
Akai XR-10
Boss DR-110
Boss DR-110_
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-220A
Boss DR-220E
Boss DR-55
Boss DR-55_
Casio MT-18
Casio MT-500
Casio MT-800
Casio Rapman
Casio RZ-1
Casio SK-1
Casio_MT-100
Cheetah MD-16
Cheetah SpecDrum
Daytone Drum-Synthe-RDS
DeepSky Drumbox
Electro Harmonix DRM-16
Electro-Harmonix DRM-15
Electro-Harmonix DRM-32
EMU E-Drum
EMU SP-12
Fricke MFB-301
Fricke MFB-501
Fricke MFB-512
Hammond Auto-Vari64
Hammond Rhythm2
hyperreal.org-drums.zip
Kawai ACR-20
Kawai R-100
Kawai R-50
Kawai R-50e
Kawai XD-5
Korg DDD-1
Korg DDM-110
Korg DDM-220
Korg KPR-77
Korg KR-55
Korg Minipops
Korg MP-7
Korg PR-77
Korg ProWave
Korg PSS-50
Korg SR-120
Linn Linndrum
Linn LM-1
Mattel Electronics Synsonics DRM
MXR 185
Rhodes Polaris
Roland CR-1000
Roland CR-78
Roland CR-8
Roland CR-8000
Roland DDR-30
Roland MC-303
Roland MT-32
Roland RhythmPlus PB-300
Roland SPD-8
Roland TR-33
Roland TR-505
Roland TR-505_
Roland TR-55
Roland TR-606
Roland TR-626
Roland TR-626_
Roland TR-66
Roland TR-707
Roland TR-707_
Roland TR-727
Roland TR-727_
Roland TR-77
Roland TR-808
Roland TR-909
Roland TR-909_lofi
Sakata DPM48
Sequential Circuits Drumtraks
Sequential Circuits Studio-440
Sequential Circuits TOM
Serge Modular
Simmons SDS-1000
SoundMaster SR-88
SoundMaster Stix ST-305
Univox MR-12
Vermona DRM-1
Visco Space Drum
Watford-Electronics Rhythm-Generator
Wurlitzer Swinging-Rhythm
Yamaha DD-10
Yamaha MR-10
Yamaha RX-11
Yamaha RX-15
Yamaha RX-17
Yamaha RX-21
Yamaha RX-21_
Yamaha RX-21L
Yamaha RX-5
Yamaha TX-16W Typhoon-OS

:loco: :lol:

Most of my samples come from magazines such as Computer Music and Music Tech.

Are you looking for loops or single-hit samples?
And what kind of genres are you looking for? i know you say "Electronic Music" , but thats a vast catagory of music, probably far bigger and wider than "metal".
are we talking Fidget House? Dubstep? Glitch-Hop? Minimal Techno?

anyway, check out loopmasters.com , they sell a lot of sample/loop packs from different companies.

primeloops.com are also pretty good. they sell a lot of loop packs, but don't be afraid to chop them up into single-hits and build your tunes that way. thats what i end up doing most of the time.

EDIT:

This guy made some nice sample packs of old drum-machines recorded to tape, and they are distributed free on this site:

http://www.goldbaby.co.nz/freestuff.html

The Cassette808 and TapeTonic packs are pretty good.

Nice! That's it!

Thanks a heap for all your suggestions, guys.

When it comes to soft samplers these days is one better off using something modern like iDrum, Battery or Stylus, or one of the vintage sampler emulations like D16's Drumazon?

Also, what synths can get those hard lead and bass lines like on the Vengeance demo samples?

ALSO, this is one of those things I love about this forum. Ask a question and get a ton of relevant and helpful answers within the hour or two. No bullshit, all results. I love it. Thanks again.

Check out the Audio Realism BassLine or the Korg Legacy Collection for some really hard lines ;) But the trick is to slap a warm but rough distortion plugin plus LOTS of compression on the insert! And to top it off with the cherry, put a wide chorus plugin as the last insert :kickass:

Epic. I imagine the Audio Damage plug-ins would be great for this purpose? They seem to have distortion units like Kombinat and some 'analog' choruses just for this purpose.

I'm actually looking more for synths rather than samples of lead lines. I'd prefer not to have the entire song pre-written for me if possible, hahah.

Albino 3
Alchemy <---- love this one
Bass Station
Circle <-- free
FM8
Kontakt 3/4 sampler
Massive
Octopus
Omnisphere <--- love this one
Predator
Pro-53
StylusRMX drum library, looper manipulation. Expansions available. Import your own loops.
Sylenth1
Vanguard
NEXUS 2

Trance forum: http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=48

Ambient & Soundscape
Breakcore / Drum & Bass
IDM
Industrial
House & Dubstep
Techno / Minimal

http://www.idmforums.com/ <--- cool place

If you want to spend money I think Battery is the way to go. But I don't think it's necessary with all the free stuff available from the links in this thread.

I use Battery 2 and Stylus RMX with different extension packs. I never really use the loops in their original state, though, because they make every track sound like Stylus immediately. Good electronic drum sounds come from layering different hits. And Battery (or a similar program) can help you out.

The Toontracks EZX Electronics expansion looks good from afar ...

So it's pretty much the same idea as when we sample replace drums? Just augment and layer until you get what you want?

What do you commonly do to alter the Stylus grooves? That's one idea that hasn't quite cemented in my mind yet. This thing about grooves instead of you physically programming each hit you want to play. How do you deal with that, given the lack of fine control?