The Black Mages

May 9, 2003
For anyone here who likes Final Fantasy games (I know there are at least a few of you!), I wanted to ask if you have heard of this band. It is a Japanese metal band formed by the composer of almost all FF music ever made Nobuo Uematsu. They take battle and boss themes from each FF game and play it in a more "heavy" and "metal" manner. Uematsu himself play keys for the cd and is pretty good at what he does. The keys give the music a proggier edge than the original game music actually sounds. I was quite surprised at how prog it really sounded. Just wanted to know if anyone has heard this music?

I got my copy off of ebay. Some guy was selling a shitload of em for like 9 bucks each. Its slightly dissapointing in that everything is sampled besides the guitars (cant they hire real fucking drummers for once?!?). Theres a lot of nice arrangements though. Its not suprising that FF music sounds prog, as Nobuo has said that hes a big fan of 70s prog music.

I thought the drumming was real? Even in the picks of the band playing live there is a drummer. I am almost certain that the beats are real drums and not samples.

symphonyXjapan said:
I thought the drumming was real? Even in the picks of the band playing live there is a drummer. I am almost certain that the beats are real drums and not samples.

No, they are programmed on the album, but they do have a full band live. I mean, I could definately tell they were programmed, though the samples they use are very good.