The Black Waltz

i think my most favorite Kalmah song has got to be The Blind Leader from They Will Return. The whole song including the incredible solo, is just amazing to say the least.

With the talent you guys have at guitar, itd be really really nice to see some more breath taking solos in your next album.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

xMetal_RockerX said:
i think my most favorite Kalmah song has got to be The Blind Leader from They Will Return. The whole song including the incredible solo, is just amazing to say the least.

With the talent you guys have at guitar, itd be really really nice to see some more breath taking solos in your next album.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

Why the hell are you talking about They will return and about their "next album", The black Waltz just came out today dude, calm down...!

Ok, I think I got a bit too over-hyped from the Groan of Wind sample. I've only listened it through twice but it's easily their worst album. Ok, there are melodies and stuff but 90% of the stuff is just booooring. There is way too much this thrash ja rock'n'roll riffing, it's just gets me irritated. When I heard that there would be acoustic guitars, I thought it could be something like in EToS's The River Flows Frozen, but hell no. Without the songs Bitter Metallic Side, The Groan of Wind and The Black Waltz (which are, by the way, old songs), this album would be pretty much useless. But the album's still ok. The only good thing compared to past albums is the vocals, they roxor. But it doesn't help much in this kind of music. If they can't make better songs in three fucking years, then I think it's going to get just worse, so I'll just have to enjoy their past albums. Goddamn I'm disappointed.

Kirurgisti said:
Ok, I think I got a bit too over-hyped from the Groan of Wind sample. I've only listened it through twice but it's easily their worst album. Ok, there are melodies and stuff but 90% of the stuff is just booooring. There is way too much this thrash ja rock'n'roll riffing, it's just gets me irritated. When I heard that there would be acoustic guitars, I thought it could be something like in EToS's The River Flows Frozen, but hell no. Without the songs Bitter Metallic Side, The Groan of Wind and The Black Waltz (which are, by the way, old songs), this album would be pretty much useless. But the album's still ok. The only good thing compared to past albums is the vocals, they roxor. But it doesn't help much in this kind of music. If they can't make better songs in three fucking years, then I think it's going to get just worse, so I'll just have to enjoy their past albums. Goddamn I'm disappointed.

I want to tell you some thing (I understand your opinon) but haven't you forgot some thing or maybe you didn't notes something that all the old albums made in different way the first album was so fast with speed trash metal and second one was littel bit slow with cool solo and keyboard the third one was so loud and strong guitar so thats the idea every time they must change the way to make more fans am I right ? beside this album I can call it a (SWAMP ALBUM) because it contain growling voculs with cool keyboard and different guitar melodi . so I think we have to thanks them for this album . ok I admit that my fav album is swamplord and swampsong they are so fucking greate and I Brought this album I was littel angry because I thought it will be like SWAMPSONG but when i Listened to it I found that this album is fucking cool becuase you change the style with cool stuff so I hope you will like my opinon

I believe the vocals from previous albums were a Kalmah trademark, I liked the Infernal Death and Bitter Metallic Side samples that had the previous vocals. But yes, maybe a mix would have been better. THe music skill remains excellent though, so no criticism here... But my opinion is that the old vocals fit better their music

METAL2000 said:
I want to tell you some thing (I understand your opinon) but haven't you forgot some thing or maybe you didn't notes something that all the old albums made in different way the first album was so fast with speed trash metal and second one was littel bit slow with cool solo and keyboard the third one was so loud and strong guitar so thats the idea every time they must change the way to make more fans am I right ? beside this album I can call it a (SWAMP ALBUM) because it contain growling voculs with cool keyboard and different guitar melodi . so I think we have to thanks them for this album . ok I admit that my fav album is swamplord and swampsong they are so fucking greate and I Brought this album I was littel angry because I thought it will be like SWAMPSONG but when i Listened to it I found that this album is fucking cool becuase you change the style with cool stuff so I hope you will like my opinon

I'm Finnish so it's a bit hard make anything out of that text but I guess you're saying that every Kalmah album is different. Yes, and in melodeath genre taking a different direction usually means "less melody and more thrash", and I don't like that direction.

This album, with it's fine sound and production, will without a doubt bring a lot of new fans to Kalmah but i'm pretty sure old Kalmah fans, who loved Kalmah from Swampord to Swampsong will be left on their appetite...

hidious said:
Why the hell are you talking about They will return and about their "next album", The black Waltz just came out today dude, calm down...!
so i cant give them any input on what i think their next one should be like if they even make another one?

and i agree with Kirurgisti on one thing. i think melodeath should stay melodic and not turn into power metal or something (similar to what COB did.)

kourgon666 said:
I believe the vocals from previous albums were a Kalmah trademark, I liked the Infernal Death and Bitter Metallic Side samples that had the previous vocals. But yes, maybe a mix would have been better. THe music skill remains excellent though, so no criticism here... But my opinion is that the old vocals fit better their music

I agree

yeah i wish they wouldve mixed the vocals. the new vox are awesome but a mix would have been best. i loved the samples most. i really dont like what they did to bitter metallic side. i think it gets better later in the cd. still a fucking great cd!!!!:Spin:

Kirurgisti said:

First you don't like Dark Tranquillity and now this? Jesus. I don't remember any acoustics in the old albums so why bitch just because it's not an epic acoustic like ETOS's? This could be the fucking stupidest post i've ever read. I always thought sick blast beats, tight, melodic riffing, excellent atmospheres and kickass vocals = a great melodeath record. I guess not?

Haha why am I so offended? o_O

Sure, it's a GREAT melodeath record but Kalmah is such and awesome and unique band everyone had very hight expectations for the new album. If i didn't know Kalmah, i'd think this album is AMAZING but i heard what they did before so my enthusiasm is limited.

OK, so let's accept (and like) the new vocals etc etc. The music, the talent and everything else is the same. Even if you've heard Swamplord, TWR and Swampsongs, the music of the Waltz is equally excellent. But my question now is the following.
What's gonna happen live? Is the band gonna perform old tracks with the new vocals?? Don't know if this would be a good idea... It's gonna be hard for fans to adjust live...I mean, imagine Swamphell or Cloned Insanity (best song EVER) with the new growl... :S
Maybe someone from the band could answer this :)

The Don said:
First you don't like Dark Tranquillity and now this? Jesus. I don't remember any acoustics in the old albums so why bitch just because it's not an epic acoustic like ETOS's? This could be the fucking stupidest post i've ever read. I always thought sick blast beats, tight, melodic riffing, excellent atmospheres and kickass vocals = a great melodeath record. I guess not?

Haha why am I so offended? o_O

Yeah, I don't know why you're so offended either. Antti made those acoustics on that EToS song and on this album, and I haven't heard any other song that he plays acoustics in, so why shouldn't I bitch about it? You think that every fucking album that has melodic riffing and blast beats and growling is a fucking masterpiece? If I may say, THAT's propably the stupidest thing I've ever red. Well, some people are easily satisfied, I'm not, so if you can't accept my opinion about this album then you really should shut the fuck up.

Played live all songs will have same vocal style as on the albums, except if Pekka wants to have some fun and play with vocal styles. At Teatria and Lutakko he performed deep vocals with new songs and high growls with old songs just like on the albums.

xMetal_RockerX said:
and i agree with Kirurgisti on one thing. i think melodeath should stay melodic and not turn into power metal or something (similar to what COB did.)
Isn't power metal melodic? I meant that melodeath usually turns into "melodic deathrash" or metalcore or something equally annoying. There's just too much that kind of music around and every good band seems to turn into that because it's easier to compose and make. And pretty many band seem to think that they're more fucking heavy metal when they start to get more thrash elements, and these fucking teenagers seem think likewisely. That's why the metalcore trend.