The Board/Card Game Thread

Caecius

Doomed Traveler
Sep 30, 2007
Colorado
I'm surprised this thread hasn't already been created. I thought it deserved it's own thread considering we have a "War-gaming Thread". So what are some your personal favorites? Some of mine include...

Settlers of Catan
Dominion
Ticket To Ride
Chez Geek
Stoner Fluxx
Axis & Allies
Monopoly
Risk

I'm really interested in trying Power Grid and The Order of the Stick board game. Anyone have any experience with these?

Zeph: Apples to Apples is a great game to play...especially when drunk

I never understood drinking games. give me a goddamn beer and don't make me work for it.

Where are my Cribbage fans at?

I payed Apples to Apples on new years and some fuck didn't know who Jack Nicholson was. I can't believe I wasted such a good card on him. The green card was "Spunky" if you were curious.

Brilliant thread. I'd love some recommendations for lesser known board/card games.
I've been enjoying playing Roborally with my brother. Very easy to learn, and heavily customizable(especially considering the various expansion packs available for it) and fun turn-based/planning strategy game.
My favorite board game is the Lovecraft-inspired Arkham Horror.
Childhood favorites include such old, and now newly reprinted by Fantasy Flight Games, titles like Talisman.

I've been meaning to get Ticket to Ride. Seems rather similar in style to Roborally.
And I love Cribbage. Although my favorite traditional card game is probably Preference(somewhat akin to Bridge,only with three players and more intricate rules).

Backgammon, Texas Hold'em, Uno and many others, but i don't know their names in English, just in Armenian or Arabic.

I never understood drinking games. give me a goddamn beer and don't make me work for it.
:lol: I am the same way

My favorite board game is the Lovecraft-inspired Arkham Horror.
Fun game

My favorite is Settlers of Catan which I've been playing for years now. I also play Magic the Gathering every now and then.

Played a fun word game called Catchphrase last night. It's very similar to Taboo.

:lol: I am the same way

In general, I agree as well. However, 2 words- Drinking Risk. When you lose a territory, you drink. When you invade a territory, you nominate someone to drink.
The game progresses at a speed whereby it is slow enough that everyone's drinking at a normal rate between turns anyway, but fast enough that the additional penalty drinks boost consumption significantly.
At the end of a 3-4 hour game, carnage has been achieved on multiple levels. Just don't expect to make any friends.