The Board/Card Game Thread

I thought about buying Arkham Horror for my brother's birthday last weekend, but it was like $70 at the local game store and neither of us are huge board game fans so I figured it would be a waste.

It's worth the price, imo. But the base game doesn't offer that much. There are three big-box expansions that add sections to the main gaming board, along with a plethora of cards, monsters, investigators(the characters you're playing with) and bosses(Ancient Ones). I own the base game along with one big-box expansion(Dunwich Horror), and two cards-only expansions.
Each expansion introduces tweaks to the gameplay, as well as new types of cards.It's very addictive, and infinitely replayable, imo.I play it with my brother on the weekends.

The only downside is that with each expansion it becomes more of a chore to set up(if you want to play with all expansions) due to the sheer numbers of cards.

If you're gonna invest in it, get some boxes to hold the different types of cards, because eventually those accumulate to a huge amount.

There's also a vast fan community that constantly adds new content to the game via a program called Strange Aeons. With it you can design your own cards, rules, investigators, monsters, etc. Pretty much everything.

So yeah, going to bump this. Doesn't look like any previous posters are still active but me, but whatever. I have a ton of board/dice/card games and am involved to some degree in essentially 3 groups and working on getting into a 4th arena. I spend much more time/money these days on physical games rather than digital. Some of my favorites:

Quick/Lite: Bang! Dice, Buccaneer Bones

Worker Placement: Russian Railroads, Lords of Waterdeep, T'zolkin

War: Tide of Iron, Memoir '44

Other: Terra Mystica, Suburbia, Hive, Railways of the World, etc.

Currently buying/painting a 40k army.

We're halfassedly completing a Heroquest game for the 500th time, very old school and simple but hard to find for a reason. Got all the expansions, and the boyfriend wrote a few of his own, printed out custom cards and shit.

heroquest.jpg

What army did you decide to go with for 40k? Painting's a bitch, gonna tell ya that right now.

Pretty proud of the one troop I have completed though, here's a few of my Genestealers. Half-started on some warriors. Eventually gonna have a gory horde of steampunk space monsters.

nids.jpg

gagaad.jpg

Pretty decent looking. Wth is it though?

I'm doing Imperial Guard, almost exclusively Cadians, with a desert theme. Once I get it all/get it painted I'll probably do a shoot with my set with a diorama of the cover peices available for public use in my local store. I've painted 3 vics and about a squad and a half so far. Using about a 5-6 paint color scheme.

You're a better man than I haha. Desert theme sounds tight, you using citadel paints?

And army is Tyranids, if that was your wth.

Yeah I'm using citadel paints for the infantry, and army painter spray paint for the vic base.

Karak Stone/Gorthor Brown for the main colors, Cadian Fleshtone, Abaddon Black, Runefang Steel, and Pallid Wych Flesh(only real white available) rounding it out. Using Skeleton Bone from Army Painter for vehicle base. Very similar to Karak Stone but slightly lighter.

Edit: here's a missile HWT:

missileIG01.jpg

Nice, man. Very modern war-like. Have you given any thought to sprinkling those bases with some sand or dirtying up the treads on the tank? You seem to not be a miniatures noob.

I'm involved in:

Pathfinder
D&D 4e

No longer involved in:

Dragon Age RPG

Have played:

Cards Against Humanity
Settlers of Catan
Dominion
Zombicide
King of Tokyo
Werewolf (Stupid)
Descent
Legend of Drizzt

Own:

Cards Against Humanity
Legend of Drizzt

I only started playing Cards Against Humanity a week ago, and damn I wish I had much sooner after all those games of Apples to Apples where everything was too PG for my tastes.

Nice, man. Very modern war-like. Have you given any thought to sprinkling those bases with some sand or dirtying up the treads on the tank? You seem to not be a miniatures noob.

I am a noob though. This is my first experience with miniatures and paint. I just take my time and try to do a little reading.

I probably will try and add some flare at some point but right now I just want to mainly have my army usable. Only flare I've added are those fake rock bits.

Have played:

Cards Against Humanity
Settlers of Catan
Dominion
Zombicide
King of Tokyo
Werewolf (Stupid)
Descent
Legend of Drizzt

Own:

Cards Against Humanity
Legend of Drizzt

Heard of most, played Dominion and Catan before obviously. Not anywhere near my favorite games though. Cards is clearly superior to Apples, and I haven't even played it.

Loved Board and Card Games:

Involved-
D&D 3.5
Pathfinders
Vampire the Masquerade
World of Darkness
Shadowrun
Heroquest
Deathwatch

Single Session-
Warhammer 40k
Chess
Axis and Allies
Settlers of Catan
Euchre
Spades
Poker
Magic the Gathering
Cards Against Humanity
Gin Rummy
Monopoly

Id like to try a board game sometime but no one around me seems interested in that sort of thing. Fuck the closest thing to that I ever played was clue and monopoly :lol: I'll have to look up some from Carpe's list.

If you live in NYC, there has to be a board game shop somewhere within a reasonable distance, and most shops support one or more groups. You can also try Meetup.