The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

I don't know if this has been asked before, forgive me if it has... but for the guitar dudes out there... what?

Attachments

• laiho_purple_pickup.jpg
    laiho_purple_pickup.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 35
Yes there were 2 Purple ESP Alexi out there. One with one Humbucker.
original.jpg

And one with one humbucker and one single Coil.
it also has differnt bewels.
maxresdefault.jpg

2 questions. I saw there’s this software from BIAS? With the guitar tones from every album. Has anyone tried this? And how/what would I need to make it work?

also what amps are y’all using that has a decent bodom tone that doesn’t cost my future first born? I have a lee Jackson gp-1000 just not sure if I buy a tube power amp and use it, or go another direction.

2 questions. I saw there’s this software from BIAS? With the guitar tones from every album. Has anyone tried this? And how/what would I need to make it work?

also what amps are y’all using that has a decent bodom tone that doesn’t cost my future first born? I have a lee Jackson gp-1000 just not sure if I buy a tube power amp and use it, or go another direction.

I'm really not big on using software for tones, but I also just sold my desktop PC, so I only have my laptop, and that gives me latency. Using Reaper DAW with a Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD. Shitty Acer laptop.
It really depends how loud you can go. I have cool neighbours but i have to be considerate to my kids and wife, so I'm getting a hardware cabsim to use with my E530 and recording interface.
Theres a guy near me whos selling two Rocktron Velocity 300s for 200€. Should i pick up the other one, for one of you guys?

I have a GP-1000 too and have used a Rocktron Velocity 100, Peavey Classic 50/50, and now an Engl E840 in the power section. Each one was a clear step up from the last, though definitely more expensive. Love the Engl, sounds great and highly recommend.

I’ve been considering getting a Marshall JVM head lately though

I have the BIAS plugins and they doesn't sound like the album tones at all. I think you mean the albums from SW to HOB.

I'm using the neural DSP plugins for a month now and Im super satisfied. Especially when you mix them with other impulse files, they sound really great and you can get nearly all Bodom tones out of them

Reactions: SIND
I was literally going to put one of Arcane's videos as a reference. He is the master of dialing in Bodom tones.

I have the BIAS plugins and they doesn't sound like the album tones at all. I think you mean the albums from SW to HOB.

I'm using the neural DSP plugins for a month now and Im super satisfied. Especially when you mix them with other impulse files, they sound really great and you can get nearly all Bodom tones out of them
Appreciate the info. This may be a dumb question, but do you have to use a tube power amp along with a tube preamp? I’d looooooove to have an engl amp but damn they’re expensive. Unless I sold my gp-1000 to buy the Engl preamp.

Yes there were 2 Purple ESP Alexi out there. One with one Humbucker.
original.jpg

And one with one humbucker and one single Coil.
it also has differnt bewels.
maxresdefault.jpg
Does anybody have any idea if something like this will be available as an ESP or LTD regular signature series? I'm desperately looking to buy an Alexi model, but I'm really not a fan of the fully black one or the greeny with the skull above the humbucker...

Appreciate the info. This may be a dumb question, but do you have to use a tube power amp along with a tube preamp? I’d looooooove to have an engl amp but damn they’re expensive. Unless I sold my gp-1000 to buy the Engl preamp.
A power amp takes a line level signal and boosts power to drive high wattage to low impedance loads like speakers. A Preamp usually has volume and sometimes balance control, tone controls and filters. In other words, a preamp amplifies extremely weak signals like those coming from a guitar or a microphone or certain instruments, to a level where a power amp can amplify it to the desired power level while keeping the signal clean and free of any interference. But to answer your questiom: You don't need both, but it's recommended.

Does anybody have any idea if something like this will be available as an ESP or LTD regular signature series? I'm desperately looking to buy an Alexi model, but I'm really not a fan of the fully black one or the greeny with the skull above the humbucker...
Only ESP can tell you that. But I don't think they will launch the guitars after Alexi's death.

No tubes required! Alexi has relied on SS poweramps for the first few albums and tours.

What have you been using with your GP-1000?
Tube poweramps really only make sense when you can crank them to get a bit of breakup. Usually though a big stereo tube poweramp, such as also used by Alexi, would have to be at ear splitting levels. In the other hand, for metal you'd also want headroom to make sure the bottom stays tight and don't mush out.
So for me at least makes more sense to get an SS poweramp.

I'm listening to 'Chaos, Control and Guitar' on audiobook, and Alexi mentions that he was still to this day (release of book) haunted by the Lee Jackson sound. I regret selling my GP-1000, so I think you will too.

The e530 is a fine unit, and I like it a lot for its reliability, versatility and sound. But really does differ from the Lee Jackson.

No tubes required! Alexi has relied on SS poweramps for the first few albums and tours.

What have you been using with your GP-1000?
Tube poweramps really only make sense when you can crank them to get a bit of breakup. Usually though a big stereo tube poweramp, such as also used by Alexi, would have to be at ear splitting levels. In the other hand, for metal you'd also want headroom to make sure the bottom stays tight and don't mush out.
So for me at least makes more sense to get an SS poweramp.

I'm listening to 'Chaos, Control and Guitar' on audiobook, and Alexi mentions that he was still to this day (release of book) haunted by the Lee Jackson sound. I regret selling my GP-1000, so I think you will too.

The e530 is a fine unit, and I like it a lot for its reliability, versatility and sound. But really does differ from the Lee Jackson.
My GP-1000 has been sitting in my closet. I’ve been using a little line 6 amp. I’ve been wanting to get a power amp and cabinet and get this baby going. I don’t get to play near as much as I used to, with having a wife/family now, but I still want to get it going.

you could be right in that I would regret selling it. But if I got a good deal and it’s going to someone who would really appreciate it, I’d be ok with that.

Reactions: Firdaus Tahrin
I personally think the ABQ sounds a bit better. I really don't care for the rythm tone much though. It sounds very rubbery/not percussive enough. Maybe there's not enough gain? In your description it says the boost is on 50% whereas I think someone pointed out to me recently that Alexi used to run his maxed out.

I personally think the ABQ sounds a bit better. I really don't care for the rythm tone much though. It sounds very rubbery/not percussive enough. Maybe there's not enough gain? In your description it says the boost is on 50% whereas I think someone pointed out to me recently that Alexi used to run his maxed out.
The ABQ definitely has more gain on tap than the MM-04 and has more low end, for sure. I would have to attribute that to Alexi always saying he wanted more low end and more gain out of his tones and that was one reason why he veered away from the GP1000, even after they were modded on AYDY. Makes sense that the EMG ALX set would try to remedy those issues. As far as the gain goes, I'm pretty certain that I've read/seen in the manuals that Alexi ran his boosts at 50%-80% boost depending on what rig he was running through. The early COB/Sinergy stuff isn't as distorted as one might think, especially when it's not being supported by a full band mix. I think a lot of that honestly just came from the fact that Alexi picked extremely hard. I am going to do another little comparison video, but I'll be running it through my GP1000/SP1000 once I get a loadbox. Hopefully, it will yield a closer tone to what we are searching for!

The guy on ebay is a sham.
there was a guy on these forums that made GOOD JE-1000 clones.

On this forum Rune gave a OG JE-1000 to the guy and he completely reverse engineered it. i believe he was called RR480 on here.
He then proceeded to make the clone with high end parts, it came with option for push-pull aswell, so you did not need to drill a hole in your guitar.
Back then I bought one for €50 which was alot to me then, but now i regret not buying 2. it was REALLY good!
I currently have it in my RR and it sounds great!.
Recently I found him on reverb since a few months ago I was looking for the manual, he might do another run if enough people are interested :)

Thanks man! I just saw JE-1000 clone on reverb.com with a different pcb. I might check that out. But I'm currently settled with the EMG HZ-H4A and ESP MM-04, which is so nice, that I've decided to sell my overdrive pedals.