The comprehensive CONDO vacation rental thread

miel

Mrs. Harvester
Staff member
Feb 17, 2009
I've already had several folks contact us about lodging reservations, and wanted to put all condo rental info into one thread.

Why consider a condo over a hotel?

- When traveling with a group, you get to spend time together while maintaining your privacy.
- A complete kitchen with full-size stove, oven, microwave, and dishwasher, as well as dishes and utensils.
- Full-size fridge to fit all of your groceries, restaurant leftovers, AND beer
- Washer and dryer
- Most offer free Parking
- Free WiFi
- Feels more like home
- Security.. leave your things in your condo, lock it up on your way out & know that nobody is going to enter your room to clean, etc.
- No knocks at the door while you're sleeping "Housekeeping!"
- More room to relax.. recliner, sofa, etc.

You can also look for cheap, close condos in Midtown or Atlantic Station at places like VRBO as there is a free shuttle to Midtown from there. I've listed a few below:

http://www.vrbo.com/383256 * $156/night, sleeps 4, no deposit/fees, near Aquarium Downtown

$89/night, sleeps 2-4, Peachtree Towers

$95/night, sleeps 2-3, Peachtree Towers * $50 cleaning fee

$110/night, sleeps 2, Peachtree Towers

$150/night, sleeps 2-6, Peachtree Towers

$100/night, sleeps 2-4, Peachtree Towers * $25 cleaning fee

$125/night, sleeps 2-4, Peachtree Towers * $55 cleaning fee

$100/night, sleeps 1-2, Peachtree Towers

$156/night, sleeps 4, Downtown

$125/night, sleeps 2-4, Downtown

$215/night, sleeps 8, Atlantic Station, free shuttle

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p263752 * $86/night, sleeps 2, min. 4 night stay

Parking near the venue is very reasonable. Click here for more details.

1280 West Peachtree high-rise apartment building is directly next door to the Artmore and sometimes has rentals.

Planning your trip to Atlanta- lodging, transportation, food, attractions, etc.

~Jen

Some of those prices are pretty awesome!

Thanks for all of your continued efforts. You definitely go the extra mile to make attending the fest a bit easier.

I have not booked a room and would be willing to consider some roomates for one of these spots, sounds better than a hotel. We got plenty of time to figure out the details....

Bear

It is myself and two others sharing a condo half a mile from the venue with the free shuttle. Price came out to about ⁴0 a night with all the things included. Best deal I have gotten in the 11 years traveling to prog power.

This is a pretty interesting idea. I've never rented a condo, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here. Can anyone share some of the considerations one needs to, well, consider, when choosing between a hotel room and a condo? (i.e., who cleans the condo, do we need to hire someone or does someone else hire someone or do we do it ourselves, is there parking, is there security, how noisy is it, how noisy are we allowed to be, etc.) I seriously don't know dick squat about any of this, but there might potentially be some people who might want to come with me and I figure a condo might possibly be more comfortable in that situation than a hotel room.

where did you see this rate? When I clicked on it the rate was $222 a night:zombie:

Must be a typo - my apologies. I have corrected it.

Can anyone share some of the considerations one needs to, well, consider, when choosing between a hotel room and a condo? (i.e., who cleans the condo, do we need to hire someone or does someone else hire someone or do we do it ourselves, is there parking, is there security, how noisy is it, how noisy are we allowed to be, etc.) I seriously don't know dick squat about any of this, but there might potentially be some people who might want to come with me and I figure a condo might possibly be more comfortable in that situation than a hotel room.

It depends on which condo you rent, as each owner has different rules. For example, some owners charge a clean-up fee, some buildings offer free parking, etc. I would strongly encourage anyone to read the description thoroughly for all details.

~Jen

I have not booked a room and would be willing to consider some roomates for one of these spots, sounds better than a hotel. We got plenty of time to figure out the details....

Bear

I haven't either and the artmore appears to be already booked. unless a room opens up there, i'm game.

I haven't either and the artmore appears to be already booked. unless a room opens up there, i'm game.

Cool John. I am thinking Atlantic Station would be cool, they have some nice spots over there and its right over the 17th street bridge, close to the venue and the other hotels. I have been making some inquiries, we will catch up and speak on it!

Bear

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3477474

$189/night, sleeps 5, in Atlantic Station, free WiFi & parking, $85 cleaning fee

9dff82c9-8e30-44b0-bec4-5fe568a34de2.1.9

~Jen

so the thing about these condo rentals at least for me is, I have been told not to contact a few that I have contacted already for September until at least May. So that sucks, I am going to have to have a back up plan or two...... No one believe in planning in advance or what. Also thank you again Jen for all you do, these links and maps are extremely helpful!!!

Bear

Edit: Just as I say that I get contacted on a badass condo in Atlantic Station!!! Woooot!!!

Modern Chic Downtown Suite
$99/night, $50 cleaning fee, half due at time of booking
sleeps 2-3
downtown, near Centennial Olympic Park - 2 blocks from Peachtree Center MARTA station
balcony w views

56ddb1bc-fe6b-436b-a6d8-7508069840cf.1.10

~Jen

* updated all of the links in this thread this morning - hope this helps someone! We've gotten a lot of lodging questions lately.

~Jen

Thanks for posting these Jen.

I had a questions, we are making our plans a little late this year (as I said in another thread I had to wait on a major decision at my work before committing to any vacations this year) and need some advice on places to stay. I looked at many of these and they are great. We have used the service before for Comic Con as well. I could be wrong, but it seems like many of these that I looked at are not within walking distance. I know that the prices are great and the parking is convenient, But I think for us personally it is easier to walk. It is kind of confusing looking at some of these since the address is often not provided. So I guess my question is, are any of these close within walking distance or are we better off booking the Atlanta Marriott Suites Midtown (I realize it is more expensive, but as I said being within walking distance of the venue is a plus for us)?

Thanks for posting these Jen.

I had a questions, we are making our plans a little late this year (as I said in another thread I had to wait on a major decision at my work before committing to any vacations this year) and need some advice on places to stay. I looked at many of these and they are great. We have used the service before for Comic Con as well. I could be wrong, but it seems like many of these that I looked at are not within walking distance. I know that the prices are great and the parking is convenient, But I think for us personally it is easier to walk. It is kind of confusing looking at some of these since the address is often not provided. So I guess my question is, are any of these close within walking distance or are we better off booking the Atlanta Marriott Suites Midtown (I realize it is more expensive, but as I said being within walking distance of the venue is a plus for us)?

You're welcome!

None of these are walking distance to the venue. (they're around 3 miles away)

However, they are all within 1-2 blocks of a MARTA rail station, and the Midtown Arts Center station is indeed walkable to the venue. (I would not bother posting them if they weren't).

There are several that are within the community called Atlantic Station (it's across the bridge that runs over the interstate; behind the venue), and there's a free shuttle that runs every 10 min. in between Atlantic Station and the MARTA Arts Center rail station.

The large building called Peachtree Towers is technically located in Downtown Atlanta (as opposed to Midtown Atlanta) and is next to a rail station as well.

* Note: The free Atlantic Station shuttle and MARTA rail does indeed close down at 1am nightly, I believe. So, a taxi would be necessary if you stayed for the entire show.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...c-station-shuttle-take-publix-target-etc.html

Here's a comprehensive list of hotels: https://www.facebook.com/notes/progpower-usa/list-of-nearby-hotels/10151231404874819
The Artmore and the Residence Inn Atlanta Midtown/17th Street (the 2 hotels closest to the venue) are sold-out

~Jen

Thanks!

I was actually using the google map you posted from last year to find hotels, but that list was great too. We may just book at the Atlanta Marriott for now and keep checking the Residence Inn. Those condos are a good option and I hope people take advantage of it. But for us we had a good experience last year just being on foot close to the venue.

Just an FYI for anyone using VRBO / Home Away. If you are lucky enough to work with a lady named Nicole Dunbar who does alot of Property Management in the Atlantic Station / Downtown Atlanta area she has been nothing short of awesome. Super responsive and proactive with her resources. I am very stoked for the awesome condo we rented this year over in AS, its going to be epic!

Bear