the cost of microphones

XxSicRokerxX

Gabriel R.
Nov 25, 2010
Orange County, CA
so i was browsing around looking at mic prices...its unbelievable.

Microphones literally cost 5,000$ - 12,000$ ? thats unbelievable.

I was looking at U47, U87, Telefunken Ela M 251, etc. all about 8,000$ and up.

Wow....how do most of you afford these mics?

or...are those top line? which ones are decent for beginners to play with.

Top of the line. Get a Shure SM57, learn to use it properly and you can literally record a somewhat decent-sounding album.

When you want to expand your mic collection (again, once you have learned to use the 57), you can check out stuff like Audix D6, Shure SM7b, Röde NT1-A & NT5, Oktava MK12's... All pretty cheap and useful stuff.

I wouldn't expect there to be many guys here using U47's to be honest.

Most expensive mic in my collection is my SM7B at £350. I don't expect to be getting anything more expensive in the near future.

Shure SM57's or Audix I5's (about £75) and a couple of condensers for overheads will get you VERY far.

Thank you for the suggestions. Do you recommend the Shure SM57 for MICing up guitars, bass, vocals? I dont think i will be MICing any drums soon (i'll just use superior drummer+samples for now). I want to start using mics now instead of sims.

I just own one rather pricey Mic(Brauner Phantera, 1450€) and it knocked every other Condenser in our studio(nt-1000 and some others) out.
The comparison isn't fair obviously, but the price-differences are justified for sure.

Do I need it?
No!

Love it for clean singing though, but the I prefer the SM7b clearly for screams and stuff like that.

So, quintessence, before buying a high end mic there are more important building lots to cover, imo.

Also another noob question:

I know its recommended to have at least 2 mics when micing up a cab. Does it make sense to have 2 of the same mic on 1 cab?
Basically i want to narrow down exactly what i need to get going. Would you say 2 mics are sufficient?

If i record a guitar player that means (2 mics 1 cab). Then after his take i can take those same mics and mic up the other guitar player (if needed), and then do the same w the bass.
Then the vocalist can use only 1 mic.

So basically all i need is 2 mics? If im doing take by take? that is if im not Micing up any drums for now.

am i correct or do i have it all wrong?

SM57 might leave you missing a bit of low end on a bass cab, but you could always just use the DI for low end and the mic for a thinner grittier sound from the cab. 57's are fine for guitars and vocals too.

Wow....how do most of you afford these mics?

By making more money with them, like any work tool. Although if I had $4000 to burn on gear I would rather get a Manley Voxbox to use with a SM58 than spend on a U87.

which ones are decent for beginners to play with.

There isn´t much you can´t mic well with a SM57 and a pair of AT4040, but I would also include a SM58 or a SM7b for vocals.

I'm going to pop in here, mics are one of the most useful things you can have. Would totally prefer to have 4 good mics and a couple pres than the opposite. Every singer is going to sound different on every mic and having a few to put up can be a HUGE part between the voice sitting in just right or spending a ton of time on processing and automation. A 57's a great start and you can use them for a lot but expensive mics have their purposes and like someone said, you pay for tools by making money from them.

You don't necessarily need more than once mic on a cab to get a good sound. In fact I would recommend just using one SM57 until you master that. Then once you can get pro results with one 57 start adding in other mic's.

You don"t need a lot of mics to get a lot done. Like many others have said its great to get started micing with an SM57 (v30s are good starters speakers for cabinets as well). With that in mind, 99.9% of the time for guitar cabinets you will only ever need one mic and unless your going for something different, the safest bet is a 57.

The only issue is that you will need a windscreen for it (SM57) if you plan to use it for vocals as it tends to exaggerate plosives more than other mics that I have used and imo is useless without one.

The only high end mics I'd consider getting to do Metal is a pair of nice SDCs for drum o/h and acoustic instruments. A pair of DPA 4011s or Schoeps Collettes. Shit I'd be happy with a pair of "lowly" KM184s.

And remember to never sell your microphones, unless you're really, really, really sure what you're doing.

I agree with everyone here, a 57 and a decent LDC will get you started nicely. Then comes the important bit of learning what to do with them...

I started getting more involved in recording with a 57 and a Studio Projects B1. Still using 'em now that I have a finer daw, fancier mics, pre's etc...

That kind of combination should get you started ;)

Exactly this. S'what I started with and I recently acquired a SM7B, probably the next logical step. :)