"The cough"

Ninfix

Gamer of life
Nov 30, 2007
Oslo, Norway
I reckon some of you have read the notes in the booklet of Still Life (Special Edition). Åkerfeldt mentions a cough from Isak Edh being recorded on the drum-mics, he also says the cough is audible on the album, and is even more audible on the 5.1 mix.

Does anyone know where this cough is? Which song?
Not that is important at all, but I thought it would've been cool to just hear it.

Is it just before this line:

"Stained and torn, aged and brown
Virtous shell with kindred innocense"

Because there is something weird in the END of drum fill...

I actually heard it during the part right before he goes into the last growls (the guitars have a flanger effect turned on if I'm not mistaken), and you can hear a sort of sigh in the background.

this is the first time i hear the sigh, and i'm almost 100% sure that the sigh says melinda!

No it doesn't...

But I've known of the presence of this sigh since I first listened to the song. I always thought it was Mike doing it intentionally, kind of like the story character taking a deep breath or something...

yeah it apperently was heard when just mikael and peter were in the studio, freaked them out and they kep it cause it was like a ghost was there, since they searched but found no one

Well, I can hear it there and it definetly does sound like that now... That piece must be from the 5.1 mix, cause it's a lot clearer than in my Still Life. There only the "Daah" part is easily heard.

yeah it's from the 5.1... he probably intentionally recorded melida over the original sigh.

yeah it's from the 5.1... he probably intentionally recorded melida over the original sigh.

I can definitely go along with that. But even on the original I heard him say "melinda" in there, he probably just recorded melinda over the sigh/cough/ghost whatever originally.

That doesn't really sound like "a real disgusting drunken phlegm infested cough" like Mike describes it as.

Is the case that he recorded "Melinda" over the original cough? It's really weird, when he says "...that's still on the final record. and een more audible here on the 5.1. That's a sales point right there..." It sounds like he means an unintentional cough and not the whisper.

Sorry if this has been a thread before, I just don't care if it has been asked of before unless it is on the 2-3 first pages...

Yeah, I'm thinking if Mike was talking about all different noise in another track somewhere. I don't think so as I haven't heard anything anywhere else but...