The Crow, The Owl and The Dove

Bianca74

Oct 1, 2011
Hi fellow Nightwishers,

I have to say I truly love the new single! It's so beautiful, and I especially love Marco's vocals on this one. Anette sounds great too, and Marco's and Anette's voices sound great together! I love the lyrics as well, so to me this song is the perfect package!
Some critic said this is the "Album of the year". If the rest of the album is half as good as the two songs I've heard so far, it'll be album of the year!
At least there won't be any clowns in the video for this song, I cannot see how clowns fit into this concept.

Michèle

Well, I guess that's one of the things that will make more sense once we see the movie.

Personally, the song is quite nice, but so far it is ranking right there with "The Islander" for most boring Nightwish song. As much of a metal god as people often make Marco out to be, I'm honestly surprised that the songs he has written have been so bland, at least to my taste. The song is growing on me, but I have a feeling it will not end up among my favorites. Anette's voice sounds great towards the end of the song. I think it's one of those songs that I will have to judge in comparison to the rest of the album, because as much of the orchestra that is involved on the album, this song may be a nice respite from all of that after a while. But on its own, it's not wowing me right now. Not yet. But then again, there are lots of Nightwish songs that didn't click with me right away that I ended up loving in the long run. So we shall see. :)

As I said in the other thread, Crow seems like artistic growth and change. True, not exactly extreme metal, but not everything has to be to be awesome. Look at Opeth's Damnation, anything under the Ayreon banner or even a band that somehow is loosely associated with metal like Anathema. All such amazing music. yet hardly the height of metal madness.

Besides, an artist generally cares to express themselves differently under different headings. He already has Tarot, he can do something different under Nightwish (and in a way that is almost a necessity as Nightwish moves towards a more accessible sound, yet hopefully retaining artistic credibility).

thanks C. I'm making the time to be around a bit more. It seems like one thing or another has kept me away. Zellie's death hit us all very hard, then I've had family members in the hospital, my shows at ST Radio, all my involvement with Occupy Wall Street and a ton of stuff in between. Busy doesn't even begin to describe my life lately. But now we have new Nightwish! there's no better place than the ole OSA to discuss the merits of what we hear.

Wow - what a bold statement calling The Islander boring!

I love that song, but definitely have to be in the mood for it. And it was very much an acquired taste at that. I wasn't too impressed with the Owl song either. I'm used to Nightwish having 2 slow songs on their cd's....so this one seems to have a lot more, and I don't like that too much.

But all this is just based off one listen. Usually once I listen to it for a week or so, I really fall in love with Nightwish cd's.

X