THE CROWN - Crowned Unholy

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
I never really got into this band and somehow missed Deathrace King altogether (even when the hype was strong) and never bothered with Crowned in Terror.

And then one day, about 3 years ago, Metal Blade sent me the promo for Crowned Unholy. I never really gave it a good listen until 2 days ago. Wow.

While it's a remake of Crowned in Terror (the liner notes here go on to berate the production of that original), I can't compare so I have no bias. But seriously, maybe I'm just in the mood for this style these days, but this is an all out frenzied blitzkrieg assault!!

Fucking "Under the Whip" and the glorious "Speed of Darkness". :kickass: Love the inclusion of the "Knight Rider" theme song.

Perfect to drive to. Great to work out to. Probably great to get drunk to. :headbang:

Any other fans of The Crown?

I like all of their albums, but mostly the first demo, Eternal Death, and...well, Possessed 13. So fucking catchy. I find that their later albums became really spotty though. Some completely awesome tracks, and then some duds for good measure or something.

Love 'em. All their albums were good for different reasons. I liked the music for Crowned in Terror, but I really didn't like Lindberg doing vocals. The funny thing was how many hardcore fans were suddenly Crown fans when he joined the group.

Screw Crowned Unholy. Crowned In Terror was much better and also had better production. Deathrace King is one of the best speed/thrash metal albums ever.

I have only heard Eternal Death and Possessed 13, and I remember liking both, but I haven't listened in a long time.

Screw Crowned Unholy. Crowned In Terror was much better and also had better production.

Interesting. Have you read the liner notes to Crowned Unholy? They go to some lengths to berate the original CiT. Obviously they have no issue with the songs since they just remade them, presumably note for note. Also, and let's be honest, Johan Lindstraand IS a better vocalist than Lindberg (at least for The Crown). Still, sounds like I need to hear the rest of their catalog.

By the way, I don't think their drummer -- Janne Saarenpää -- gets the attention he deserves. To me, he's one of the key selling points. Absolute demon.

Still, sounds like I need to hear the rest of their catalog.

Understatement of the year.

The Crown absolutely OWNS!!!

"Deathrace King" is a masterpiece if you haven't heard it Ali (which I'm guessing you haven't based on your post). But mostly every release is of the quality variety.

Say the word and my secretary is at your service. Mandatory listening.

Jason

Understatement of the year.

The Crown absolutely OWNS!!!

"Deathrace King" is a masterpiece if you haven't heard it Ali (which I'm guessing you haven't based on your post). But mostly every release is of the quality variety.

Say the word and my secretary is at your service. Mandatory listening.

Jason

Do it! :kickass:

Ali, you really SHOULD check out their older stuff, especially the albums released when they were Crown Of Thorns...fucking nasty stuff.

I have both of those as well - The Burning is ok, but it's their debut and they really tried to go for a more "melodic death" sound that wasn't very interesting. Now Eternal Death on the other hand.... Oh HELL YEAH.... that one is outstanding - "Angel's Die", "The Black Heart" and one of the bands.... well ..... "Crowning" achievements "Death of God" are worth the price of Eternal Death alone.

MINJ said:
Though I think Deathrace King is still their best IMO.

BORN TO RACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :kickass:

Yeah, 'Crowned in Terror' is awesome. And their best, even though I haven't heard the CoT albums. I got 'Hell Is Here' a long time ago for some reason, and that put me off listening to further Crown albums for longer than necessary. 'Deathrace King' is real good to, but 'CiT' still tops it, particularly for the two songs you mentioned.

I listened to 'Crowned Unholy' once. Didn't really notice any production improvements, since the original sounds perfectly excellent, but I did notice some hyper-gay clean vocals that were added (maybe in 'Speed of Darkness'?) that made me hang my head in shame and repeatedly bash it into the 'Delete' key.

The Crown is a band that's a member of my 'Going Off The Rails' category: on their recordings, they manage to capture the feeling of being right on the edge of flying out of control, which is apparently nearly impossible to do, if every other band's boring, locked-in recordings are anything to go by. Elvenking is the only other band that's made it into this category. Feel free to tell me some that should be added though!

Neil

'Deathrace King' is real good to, but 'CiT' still tops it, particularly for the two songs you mentioned.

Hell is Here is a lousy place to start given the production on that album. (Though "The Poison" slays).

"Deathexplosion", "Devil Gate Ride", "Rebel Angel", "Blitzkrieg Witchcraft" & "Killing Star" own anything on Crowned in Terror.

And I love Crowned in Terror.

Jason

Angel's Die is probably my favourite song by this band. Death of God is another one. The bassplayer went to the vatican for inspiration to the lyrics of that song \m/. I saw them live twice with Tompa and once with Johan.

The Crown is a band that's a member of my 'Going Off The Rails' category: on their recordings, they manage to capture the feeling of being right on the edge of flying out of control

Well put. Again, the key ingredient for me is the drumming -- it is insane. The man is a human-octopus hybrid, and none of it resorts to the same ol' same ol' BAM BAM BAM BAM (repeat ad nauseum) style drumming. There's so much creativity in the percussion. If he performed like this on the original CiT, it's unreal that he could recreate that 'going off the rails' chaos since it sounds so improvised yet so concise.