The crust thread

Greater lifting music.

Not that Wolfbrigade aren't cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone please explain to me briefly the core principles of crust, and what crust songs to check out so I can get a good "taste" of the genre?

I wont hide this, my knowledge about the crust genre equals zero, and I probably have never even heard a crust song before . . . wonder where to start.

Hail Crust!

I grew up on 80s thrash and Iron Maiden and then became disaffected with metal because I was stupidly only aware of the overly technical, over-produced bands in the 90s. Thanks to a strong local scene where I've lived the past 18 years (Olympia, WA), I've reconnected to my metal roots and my punk friends helped me discover the beauty, power and political relevancy of crust. I appreciate those that are unconcerned with whether crust is metal. I think it's hard to deny that "good" crust shares with "the best" metal that it's powerful, made by outsiders and HEAVY.

Some of my favorites crust bands or bands that blend crust with other elements are:

Vestiges
Arboricidio
Light Bearer
Alter of Plagues
Svalbard
Alpinist
Martyrdod
Fall of Efrafra

I'm in a new band, Understory. We're blending doom/dbeat/melodic crust: https://understorymetal.bandcamp.com/releases

Cheers!

I like me some Martyrdöd but I'm not really into that whole post-rock/atmospheric sludge/melodic crust thing myself. Those types of bands really don't have much of a connection to metal (at least to me). Reminds me much more of the whole 90's post hardcore/screamo/emo violence sound more than anything else, perhaps also bands like Neurosis etc. Don't hate it or anything but I just prefer the original Hellbastard/Amebix/Deviated Instinct/E.N.T./Aus-Rotten/Nausea/Axegrinder style.

When I think of crust that has things in common with metal I think of newer bands like Swordwielder, Hellshock, N.D.T. or Ewïg Frost.