The Darker 80s: Dark Pop/Dream Pop/Post Punk

Hubster

Oct 29, 2003
Bondi Australia
Well I know there are many fans of Black Metal on this board, which is great.

Some of you have expressed a love of more experimental bands like Lifelover and Circle of Ouroborus, and lovers of Burzum will also be aware that Varg Vikernes had a love of dance music, and darker 80s pop music, which I believe did influence his music more than we may see at face value.

(Personally I'd love to see bands like Lifelover take the 80s pop and Black Metal fusion even further, and combine the primitive electronics of 80s synthpop with Burzumic Black Metal.)

So this brings me to this new thread: are there any fans of darker 80s pop, dream pop, synth pop, or post-punk on this board? Do you feel your taste for these styles relate to Black Metal in any way, or your taste for darker arts in general? Recommendations? Etc?

I'll kick off with two of the more important bands:

Joy Division: need no introduction. Perhaps it's Ian Curtis' suicide which strongly influences the dark and melancholy nature of their music, but nevertheless, few bands since have been able to equal Joy Divisions unique style of brilliance, save perhaps earlier New Order. For a fan of Black Metal who also appreciates other non-metal darker forms, the first two albums, Unknown Pleasures, and Closer are an absolute must.

Cocteau Twins: Cocteau Twins, themselves influenced by Joy Division (brilliantly evidenced on the 1983 Head Over Heels album), are an indie band from Scotland, whose greatest characteristic is the at times barely decipherable & haunting voice of singer Elizabeth Fraser, who grips the listener with frozen awe. This, combined with almost cold electro beats, some beautifully arpeggiated clean guitar (and also quite heavily effected guitars at times too) and moving keyboard sequences. One of the first Dream Pop bands, they would influence the Shoegaze movement in Oxford, UK, a decade later. Their third album, Head Over Heels, is a MUST for any lover of darker pop, as this album starts the formation of the signature Cocteau Twins sound.

i'm sort of embarrassed i've never heard closer. unknown pleasures i know and like, but not as much as, say, early cure or killing joke.

cocteau twins... i'm not a big fan of treasure which is the only one i currently have, but i had another album a long while back which i liked quite a bit, i forget the name. head over heels maybe? dunno if i'd feel the same about it now.

Wow, what a perfect thread. o_O

The 80's and those styles of music are both awesome. More people should be into them. Don't forget about Killing Joke, Depeche Mode and The Sisters of Mercy.

Time to make super small reference to Interpol because they are post-punk!

Circle of Ouroborus is the only band that mixes that said genre within black metal music in a positive way. Lifelover, Amesoeurs, and Alcest all fail at creating the vibe of post-punk.

I don't like Lifelover, Alcest isn't a post-punk group at all, and there's nothing wrong with Amesoeurs.

Alcest doesn't mix that said genre with metal, they're not even metal anymore and Le Secret didn't even attempt to make that fusion.

The only thing I can think of is the song 'Playground Twist' by Siouxsie and the Banshees, which tbh is the only song I really like by them.

You said Alcest fails at creating the atmosphere of post-punk in your last post. While the sound of Alcest is comparable to dream pop, that's not what their music is, nor is it where Neige's influences lie.

Dream pop artists like Cocteau Twins might have been influenced by post-punk, but it's not the same genre anymore than black metal is the same genre as thrash metal.

Considering that there is a mix-up on what I am saying, let me clarify since this is a dream-pop/post-punk thread.

All of Neige's project, aside from Peste Noire, do a terrible a job a creating a decent vibe or writing good songs. Regardless of Alcest not being influenced by Shoegaze/dream-pop that is how it sounds, a very bad shoegaze/dream-pop project. For Amesoeurs, Neige just writes really bad pseudo-post-punk music.

Make sense?

No, it doesn't, since your opinion of his songwriting is very subjective because it's based on your opinions. Regardless of this being a dream pop/post-punk thread, you specifically stated that Alcest fails to create the atmosphere of post-punk earlier.

Neige is a fantastic songwriter, as far as Alcest goes.

He apparently spent quite a bit of time composing the songs, which is probably why they have so many nice touches. He said it could be a few years before he can create another album for Alcest, since he's very busy with his musical studies and other projects, and it takes him a little bit of time and concentration to compose songs that meet his high standards.

While I will respect your thoughts on his song-writing I will just say that it feels like a cheap second-rate attempt compared to other shoegaze/post-punk/dream-pop bands within the indie rock scene.

Since we are within the non-metal section now I will take the time to say everyone MUST check out Deerhunter-Microcastles. Seriously, this is amazing post-punk. Maybe the best recent post-punk album since Turn On The Bright Lights.

Oh, and a band who made comparable music, even though it was primarily in the 90's, is Swans. Their earlier music is really slow and loud post-industrial music, but their later music is lush and very much in the vein of the 80's post-punk bands. White Light from the Mouth of Infinity and The Great Annihilator are both essential albums for anyone who's into post-punk and similar music.

As for the Cocteau Twins, I absolutely love the group! I have Garlands, Head Over Heels, Treasure, Victorialand, and Blue Bell Knoll. I'm a huge fan of The Church as well. I have all but their first album. C.T. rated...
Blue Bell Knoll-heartbreakingly morose, melancholy, but oh so good!
Victorialand-to me their darkest, very brooding feel to it.
Treasure- probably the strongest vocal work
Head Over Heels-very somber, ethereal
Garlands-a little raw, but it grows on you. Good first album.

Oh yeah, Elizabeth Frazer is singing in the Fellowship of the Rings movie...the directors cut, where Frodo and Sam are just starting out on their quest, and stumble upon some Elves, who are leaving for Valinor. I think its chapter 10 or 11 in the movie. She also pops up vocally later on in the movie's soundtrack. Great stuff!