The delights of reamping

ExecutiveRob

Silent City Studio
Jul 22, 2007
www.silent-city.co.uk
This isn't a major tip or anything, just something I stumbled across yesterday and thought I'd share...

Started mixing a fast tech metal band 2 days ago and I've been having a nightmare trying to get the guitars to sound like they're not coming out of a radio. The reamping had already been done a month ago with a Peavey 6505 II, sm57, 52 beta and 414, double tracked... To be honest, it was done in a rush and sounds awful.

So I made the decision that all the reamping must be done again but at the moment I've got no "metal" amps lying around and no way of getting hold of anything.

The only thing I've got is a custom built, 2x12" Jazz combo amp from Matamp (amazing place, check it out at http://www.matamp.co.uk - great stoner and doom amps) and a PodXT. The Matamp only does clean - granted it's the most amazing clean tone I've ever heard but definitely not the first, or even any choice when doing this kind of band.

But, out of desperation I spend a day playing about with using the Pod as a stompbox, and driving the valves of the matamp pretty hard.

Would never hold up for live use but recorded... Incredibly dirty crushing tone, without the fizz of traditional metal guitars. It's like the best of digital mixed with the best of analog!

I mean, it won't suit everything but definitely something to consider in future. And with a set up I would've never dreamed of using before.

God bless reamping!!!!

Enjoy your day people.