the di canio incident

breaklose

Spoof Member
Apr 14, 2004
paris, france
www.breaklose.com
dicanio--310x210.jpg

Lazio striker Paolo Di Canio has been criticised across the political spectrum in Italy after images showed him celebrating his team's derby win against AS Roma with a fascist-style salute.

At the end of Thursday's game, won 3-1 by Lazio with Di Canio among the scorers, the former England-based player ran underneath the Lazio supporters at the North End of the stadium to celebrate the victory.

Photographs published in newspapers on Saturday clearly showed Di Canio displaying a stiff armed salute to the crowd, identical to the 'Roman salute' used by followers of Italy's wartime fascist dictator Benito Mussolini.

Alessandra Mussolini, grand-daughter of the late dictator and herself a far-right politician, praised Di Canio's actions.

"How nice that Roman salute was, it delighted me so much," she said, "I shall write him a thank-you note".

Di Canio though denied there was any political content to his gesture: "I am a professional football and my celebrations had nothing to do with political behaviour of any kind, in particular not those expressed by Mrs Floriani" he told the daily Gazzetta dello Sport using Alessandra Mussolini's married name.

But Italy's Minister for EU affairs, the conservative politician Rocco Buttiglione said the salute had real meaning.

"The Roman salute brings back painful memories for many Italians. Sport should bring people together but the symbols of that terrible civil war can only divide.

"He should think about the offspring of those who were killed and what it would be like for them to see that," he added.

Centre-left politician Enzo Foschi said he respected Di Canio as a footballer but was appalled by his gesture.

"That salute cannot pass without comment. It gives legitimacy to fascism, a murderous and tyrannical ideology. I take my cap off to Di Canio the footballer but Di Canio the fascist is a disgrace," he said.

Di Canio, who was a hardcore Lazio 'ultra' during his youth before joining the club as a player, has never made any secret of his political affiliations.

In his autobiography he said he was "fascinated" by Benito Mussolini and said the dictator has been "deeply misunderstood" and was "basically a very principled, ethical individual".

Di Canio, who returned to Lazio in the close season after spells with Scottish club Celtic and English teams Sheffield Wednesday, West Ham United and Charlton Athletic, was also criticised for his goal celebrations.

After last season's derby ended in a riot, officials had urged players to show restraint during the game but Di Canio celebrated his goal in front of Roma supporters beating his fist against his heart and shouting.

breaklose said:
"How nice that Roman salute was, it delighted me so much," she said, "I shall write him a thank-you note".
How daft that granddaughter is, it puzzles me so much. I shall send her a reminder of our prosperous partnership in olden times of delight.

Italian football has become utter shit anyway. AC Berlusconi vs Dopentus Turin, baaah, fuck that.

yeah, i support them cos they are from my town, like with other teams , Portland San Antonio or in the 90's Miguel Indurain

But i am not a football fan, i prefer basketball.

Abcidia said:
yeah, i support them cos they are from my town, like with other teams , Portland San Antonio or in the 90's Miguel Indurain

But i am not a football fan, i prefer basketball.

id have no idea supporting a handball team since im not into handball. whats your point :erk:

I perfectly understand you, I don't really know why the piss-taking as it's neither funny nor substantial enough. If the team from my hometown plays any other team, especially the Budapest ones, I support my hometown team too.

Allan said:
huh, I just saw this on TV, really don't know what to say...

being a manga fan I have seen somehow similar things a couple of times but I never could say anything about it, just sat there without being able to falter out a word... as I noticed, in Japan, especially in mangas they don't really see the real meaning of these and they often draw clothes and symbols from this topic to make a character look cool or rough :erk: I can say at last 2 mangas at the moment where I 'met' this ...